Stand question

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this question in the equipment section with not much help so will try here. I bought a deep blue rr 75 rimless tank and currently designing a stand. First off I have years of cabinet building experience but need help with design. Obviously want a decent sized sump and looking at a 5 gallon ato. So far I like the newer eshopps sumps or trigger systems. The problem I'm running into is I would like a permanent wall on the far right side inside the stand that I would gain access to by a door to house my apex classic that would keep it separated from the sump area. Question one, how important is it to keep the apex out of the sump area? Others have suggested building a cabinet to house the apex and hang it on the wall, but not sure this would work for me. Second question of the brands I have picked what would everyone suggest for a good sump size or type.

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You do not need to have the apex in a separate area. It just cleans the install up and helps reduce the risk of getting moisture on it. Brands of sumps everyone has personal preference. I like the Bashsea filters, but Trigger, Skimz, Geo, etc are all good.

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need to have the apex in a separate area. It just cleans the install up and helps reduce the risk of getting moisture on it. Brands of sumps everyone has personal preference. I like the Bashsea filters, but Trigger, Skimz, Geo, etc are all good.
Sure i dont need it in seperate srea but would prefer that. I need help with size of sump also

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 90g, I use the 3rd generation Eshopps ADV-200 and have liked it. I was going to do just the 100, but I had the room under the tank for the 200...so in this case, bigger is better.

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 90g, I use the 3rd generation Eshopps ADV-200 and have liked it. I was going to do just the 100, but I had the room under the tank for the 200...so in this case, bigger is better.
Thanks, thats the one ive been looking at. Do you have a apex

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet...I've been buying pieces of it little by little. It will probably end up waiting until the large build that I'm planning...going up to at least 180g next.

Shaddow_wolf169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can build a 40g breeder for under 80 bucks.
20170131_121747.jpg

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visit your area's LFSs for stand construction ideas. I have my Apex modules inside my stand as high as I could mount them. The stand back is open and well ventilated so no issue with excessive moisture.
I have a Trigger Emerald 34 sump which I like very much. Ideal for a BeanAnimal drain system.

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visit your area's LFSs for stand construction ideas. I have my Apex modules inside my stand as high as I could mount them. The stand back is open and well ventilated so no issue with excessive moisture.
I have a Trigger Emerald 34 sump which I like very much. Ideal for a BeanAnimal drain system.
On what size tank

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY King on YouTube was very useful to me. Him and several others had great ideas on stand design. You're already a cabinet maker so I'm sure this will be pretty easy for you. I just built my first stand after watching hours of YouTube and perusing the custom stand pictures in the DIY section. There are hundreds of stands in that forum.

austinl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this question in the equipment section with not much help so will try here. I bought a deep blue rr 75 rimless tank and currently designing a stand. First off I have years of cabinet building experience but need help with design. Obviously want a decent sized sump and looking at a 5 gallon ato. So far I like the newer eshopps sumps or trigger systems. The problem I'm running into is I would like a permanent wall on the far right side inside the stand that I would gain access to by a door to house my apex classic that would keep it separated from the sump area. Question one, how important is it to keep the apex out of the sump area? Others have suggested building a cabinet to house the apex and hang it on the wall, but not sure this would work for me. Second question of the brands I have picked what would everyone suggest for a good sump size or type.

I would highly recommend a separate area for the electronics in general. You can definitely house the equipment under the stand but a dedicated box that is accessible as you describe and is sealed off from the main sump area is what i would do (I was going to do the same and cram it under my stand but decided to relocate entire setup) I say this because no matter how careful you are at some point there will be overspray, moisture build up in the stand or a skimmer that acts up that could potential short out all that equipment. While most aquarium equipment stand ups to moisture.......Apex/Top Ups/MP whatever controllers dont like water.

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to get people who had done this to show pics of how they had theres set up

austinl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to get people who had done this to show pics of how they had theres set up

There are lots of examples of this being done in the DIY section/Show off your Stand/Show me your control board for Apex Display. Your question of how important is it to keep your Apex (or any major electroncis) out of the sump in my opinion is quite important. If you think about not only the cost of the Apex plus anything else you store under there, but what the unit actually does and controls then keeping it protected from all the moisture becomes pretty important.

That is the reason I moved mine from below my stand. That said being a cabinet maker if you can make the section under the stand separate and free of moisture like others have done you should be ok. Take a look at Broadfield's setup he has what appears to be a acrylic box setup in his.

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of examples of this being done in the DIY section/Show off your Stand/Show me your control board for Apex Display. Your question of how important is it to keep your Apex (or any major electroncis) out of the sump in my opinion is quite important. If you think about not only the cost of the Apex plus anything else you store under there, but what the unit actually does and controls then keeping it protected from all the moisture becomes pretty important.

That is the reason I moved mine from below my stand. That said being a cabinet maker if you can make the section under the stand separate and free of moisture like others have done you should be ok. Take a look at Broadfield's setup he has what appears to be a acrylic box setup in his.
In a perfect world I would have enough room for it all but I have picked out a 34 inch sump now and with the stand still being designed its looking like it will be about 50 inch max on top but inside will be around 44 inches. So if I put the ato down there too theres no room for a false wall for apex. I will continue to brainstorm.

austinl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a perfect world I would have enough room for it all but I have picked out a 34 inch sump now and with the stand still being designed its looking like it will be about 50 inch max on top but inside will be around 44 inches. So if I put the ato down there too theres no room for a false wall for apex. I will continue to brainstorm.

Sounds to me like you may have found your answer....if space is tight I would use a separate cabinet. Or make the cabinet larger.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a bunch of posts on DIY stands. I got my design from one of them. Good luck!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back