Stand question

cdrewferd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building the stand for my 58g display tank. I built it deep because I'm going to put an external overflow on it. My question comes to the back of the tank. How should I support it?

I was thinking about adding another vertical piece at the back of the tank, then a horizontal piece under the back edge. I will be adding a frame to make it look nice, so that should add a lot of racking support.

For the top I'm going to do 1, maybe 2, layers of 3/4" plywood. Would this along with the extra vertical support be enough? I will eventually upgrade this tank to a 36x24x24 90g, and I'm planning on using the same stand.
0217171641.jpeg

0217171641a.jpeg

Let me know what you guys think.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely correct. Install 2x4 under the back edge of the tank and if you can one vertical in the middle. Definetly strong enough especially with plywood over everything

TroutbumNV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure I understand the reasoning of building it so deep just because of an overflow.
Personally, that stand looks pretty sketchy to me. You have next to nothing for lateral support.
And yes, you should have all sides of the tank supported, including the back.
Id suggest not topping the stand with any plywood, unless your looking in to good coatings. Spills tend to seep between the tank and stand. With solid plywood at the top, it gets trapped under the tank, and can lead to mold, mildew, rot.

OP
OP
C

cdrewferd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand is built close to the plans that rocket has on another site. It's the same basics I used for my 120g 4x2x2 build and that stand never had any issues.

This is just the basics, with more parts to come. Just wanted to work out te tank support before I put any plywood on it.

Thanks for the info on mold and stuff though, hadn't thought of that.

TroutbumNV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt mean to come off condescending or rude, and appologize if it came out that way.
Here is a good stand build for comparison:
Frag-Tank-Stand-2.jpg

Pay particular attention to the corners. Notice it has 2X4's running the entire hieght in each corner, with the rest of the frame being built on the outside of those. As well as 3 2X4's for each corner, and all the bracing running front to back. This is what I mean by lateral support.
As your stand sits now, it wouldnt take much of a shift in any lateral direction (front, back, or sides) to domino that stand like a jenga tower. Maybe Im more nervous because im in earthquake country, but as yours sits, I wouldnt trust a kid leaning against it, a large dog running in to it, you falling and catching yourself, or an earthquake.
The picture of the stand I posted is for a 40 breeder, so less than half the weight of your proposed 90 gallon, and is probably many multiples stronger.
Sure, someone might have built one like yours, and youre going to wrap it in plywood, but I wouldnt risk it personally.

OP
OP
C

cdrewferd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand where you're coming from. Like I said, I'm not done. Still going to add front to back supports, bottom plywood and the skin. When it's done, it'll be more than enough for the 90g tank since it will sit all the way to the back cross member.

I will add some more stuff and see what you guys think.

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screw (shear strength) or nail the top 2x4s into the wall and it won't go anywhere. Put a piece of 3/4 plywood on top and put your tank on it. I would then take any leftover flooring and lay that over the plywood around the tank. Some quarterround trim and you're good to go. Plywood on the side, raise the front bottom section up about an inch higher than your baseboard and skin it so it's flush to the wall. Put some doors in the opening, trim out the baseboard going around the tank and it will become part of the house.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 165 61.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 92 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.2%
Back