Starting a new 280 gallon fish tank

hippo tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have two 75 gallon reef tanks. I will be starting a new tank (280 gallon). I plan on having fish and coral both in the tank. My husband is building me a light with leds, t5, halide. All on different timers. I am looking for some advice on types of equipment , sand , rock etc. Products and Places to get a good deal. My husband is the one that takes care of the other tanks. He is what you call Joe the plumber he can build or pipe anything that needs to be built. He is currently designing me a sump. Any advice would be grateful.

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe the plumber eh?

Why don't you go ahead and show these people a picture of the "masterpiece" that he created when he tried to put a reflecter on a 400w metal halide bulb....

You may want to leave the designing to a professional!....just sayin

OP
OP
H

hippo tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speg you are just jealous. That I have better lights then you. Yes my husband built a wood top with a halide light on top he ran out of wood to cover the reflector ( work in progress ).

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no..tell them the part where you cut your wife's baking pan in half and used it as a reflector :)

I am jealous of your lights though... I'm stuck with these that I got years ago from the fish store owner that fooled me into thinking they were great :p now I just don't trust fish stores.

eswebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no..tell them the part where you cut your wife's baking pan in half and used it as a reflector :)

I am jealous of your lights though... I'm stuck with these that I got years ago from the fish store owner that fooled me into thinking they were great :p now I just don't trust fish stores.

Red neck reflector :bigsmile:

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have two 75 gallon reef tanks. I will be starting a new tank (280 gallon). I plan on having fish and coral both in the tank. My husband is building me a light with leds, t5, halide. All on different timers. I am looking for some advice on types of equipment , sand , rock etc. Products and Places to get a good deal. My husband is the one that takes care of the other tanks. He is what you call Joe the plumber he can build or pipe anything that needs to be built. He is currently designing me a sump. Any advice would be grateful.

Ok..lets try to answer!

I personally would DIY a nice T5 HO fixture and forget the halide/leds. I've seen many T5-only tanks and they look awesome and consume much less energy & produce much less heat.

For sand/rock: I would get cheap base rock (not stuff from the beach) and cheap sand...or, go bare-bottom on the tank!

Some things you'll need: a BIG sump.. a good protein skimmer.. and a lot of money!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back