Stirred up detritus ??

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jason2459

Which do you prefer, if any? And why don't you think @becks results will be sustained? Thanks for replying to my questions. I appreciate your input and help.
I like the ability between them to get different sizes. I would suggest for anyone getting one of these kinds of ceramic blocks/plates/cubes/spheres to get the biggest one that will fit the space you want with out needing to cut them. Could mean a block and a plate etc. They fall apart quite easily once fractured, cut, smashed, broken, etc.

As for unsustainable in that the blocks create a great habitat for bacteria and other tiny critters and the poster could just be seeing the quick influx of growth. But they will need to be fed something.

Chris Bark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, I always vacuum out the detritus i have in my sump every 3 months, make me feel clean lol

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about using the sump as a detritus trap, & having a colony of critters munching on it, would there be any negatives, or positives in illuminating the sump for x amount of hours?

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nytrx bricks by brightwells have sulphur particles inside, I have plenty of live rock.

Here's what what they say

In addition, Exxodus•Nitryx is unique in that it is doped with sulfur particles which act as an electron donor for the cultivation of large amounts of anaerobic microbes to provide for a huge denitration capacity - much larger than any other known material. It may be used as your primary or only bacterial denitration medium. It works extremely well in nano aquariums, as well as systems of all sizes. It is particularly well suited to reef systems with live rock including FOWLR systems and will not foster problems that alcohol denitrators may. Use in a canister filter, reactor, or other type of aquarium filter with SLOW water flow. Primarily designed to be submerged to foster anaerobic or anoxic conditions, but may be employed in a drip system for more nitrification.

But I'll keep monitoring , my nitrates.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stir mine up every day to feed the corals, especially the gorgonians and filter feeding crabs. They haven't complained yet.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 167 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.0%
Back