stocking a smaller pred tank

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been tossing around the idea of a smaller predatory tank. My boyfriend is really interested in my tank but everything is too pretty and unaggressive... I have a nice spot in the bedroom for a tank though. I'm thinking in the 40 to 60 gallon range.

And he wants.... Ugly mean jerks. Scorpions are 'boring' though due to lack of movement (unless there's a smaller one that's active). Anglers eat everything their size. The angler actually fit his description the best but we don't want it to be the only fish in the tank.

My only requirement is that they're easy to convert to frozen. The only live food I can get is via shipping or fw feeders.

Anyone with ideas? To break it down;

Ugly
Mean
Kept with others compatible
Easily converted to frozen
Smaller.
Not a lionfish. (too pretty )

Elleuckyreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
marine betta, toadfish, snowflake eel, dwarf brackish puffers switched to full salinity, maybe an non reef safe wrasse?

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Betta is too pretty, and imo gets too big. The eel gets too big too (I feel bad with a tang in my 125 some days and he's still a baby) the rest may interest him though!

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadfish get too big and eat anything their size and smaller. The wrasses are a maybe. Small puffers would do okay. Then just need one ugly guy.

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know too much about jawfish, or if there are any species that will be a good size for the tank, but they are ugly and mean looking? ;)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not predatory, but aiptasia filefish are pretty ugly. Jawfish look predatory, but aren't, especially the Caribbean megamouth jawfish. Melatrmus eel would fit. A Rypticus sp of soapfish.

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the aptasia Filefish are attractive, but that's just me ;)

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol the reef club has an aip filefish to pass around as needed. No aipistasia up here! They are fulgly looking.. but he would know looking at it that it's peaceful.

I gotta say, this is kinda fun! Looking up scary and ugly fish.

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it. I love the venomous fish but he may not. I brought it up once, and he went all 'meh' on me. And I think a Toby puffer is for sure in the cards. I'm afraid that it would pick on them, Maybe even on accident.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%

Back