Structural Ideas: Building a stand for a 40B tank and sump

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get one of these link and you will not need a table saw, a good square, and a pocket hole jig and you can build a good cabinet. Make sure your four corners are supported straight down to the floor.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use those sometimes. cheap from harbor freight.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go the plywood route.....3/4 would be enough.....the commercial stands are 3/4 plywood (or thinner).

However, for a DIYers, the easiest stand is with dimensional lumber. For under four foot.....a 40 B....all lumber should be 2 x 4's.

Stand.jpg

Now what you need to do is build the stand so a 40B will easily fit below. The top of the stand will have a 3/4 plywood top. Since the the stand is now wider and deeper than a 40 B, the top DT tank will have a "shelf" around the tank. There is no need for the edge of the tank to fit on the lumber of the frame. The plywood top will easily support the tank.
Could you send me the link with the directions for this stand? I know it came from RC but I can't find it.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you send me the link with the directions for this stand? I know it came from RC but I can't find it.

Don't make me go back there! Please!!! I pulled this picture off RC over ten years ago. I don't like it over there! :( I will give you the Reader's Digest version, because, at the time, it had already been broken into two threads because of the length.

For tanks up to four feet, all dimensional lumber are 2 x 4's. Over four feet, the top frame needs to be 2 x 6. No center support is needed. You do need to "skin" the stand to keep it from racking. I'd highly suggest also using a 3/4 inch piece of plywood on the top to "level" or smooth out the dimensional lumber on the top so the tank sits flush to the top. Here's the frame I build for my five foot tank in 2006/2007 using this plan:

OurStand.jpg

All finished, it now looks like this:

IMG_1830_zpsp7xbh5jm.jpg

That being said, my latest builds for smaller tanks (40B included) has been with paneled sides. This is the build I'm working on right now for a 35 cube. Uprights are 1 x 3's with 5 mm plywood panels.

Stand 170728.jpg

EDIT TO ADD:

I'm an idiot.....I went back there and found the two posts. Note that because of Photobucket attempting to extort past users, many of the pictures are no longer available.....Including the one I posted here showing the construction plan. But here are the links to the two "split" posts over on RC:

Original Post - DIY Stands Template and Calculator
Second Split Post

Happy reading!

Last edited:

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't make me go back there! Please!!! I pulled this picture off RC over ten years ago. I don't like it over there! :( I will give you the Reader's Digest version, because, at the time, it had already been broken into two threads because of the length.

For tanks up to four feet, all dimensional lumber are 2 x 4's. Over four feet, the top frame needs to be 2 x 6. No center support is needed. You do need to "skin" the stand to keep it from racking. I'd highly suggest also using a 3/4 inch piece of plywood on the top to "level" or smooth out the dimensional lumber on the top so the tank sits flush to the top. Here's the frame I build for my five foot tank in 2006/2007 using this plan:

OurStand.jpg

All finished, it now looks like this:

IMG_1830_zpsp7xbh5jm.jpg

That being said, my latest builds for smaller tanks (40B included) has been with paneled sides. This is the build I'm working on right now for a 35 cube. Uprights are 1 x 3's with 5 mm plywood panels.

Stand 170728.jpg

EDIT TO ADD:

I'm an idiot.....I went back there and found the two posts. Note that because of Photobucket attempting to extort past users, many of the pictures are no longer available.....Including the one I posted here showing the construction plan. But here are the links to the two "split" posts over on RC:

Original Post - DIY Stands Template and Calculator
Second Split Post

Happy reading!
Thanks!!'

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back