Subing buffer for carbonate

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran out of reef carbonate by seachem and the LFS has none. I have some reef buffer on hand which raises ph by .1 per tsp/40g and by proxy raises alkalinity .5 meq/l i only need to keep uo with .3 dkh lose per day so the increase in ph would b minimal. I rarely if ever check my ph so would this work for a day or as a temporary fix til i can get more alkalinity? Or would i be better off letting it fall the .9 dkh til tuesday?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Buffer is a mix of sodium carbonate and bicarbonate, so has a potency between that of baking soda and washing soda (baked bakign soda). it is fine to use but won't be as potent as using the sodium carbonate you had previously used. It also won't raise pH as much as the carbonate.

OP
OP
BrettMallette

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Buffer is a mix of sodium carbonate and bicarbonate, so has a potency between that of baking soda and washing soda (baked bakign soda). it is fine to use but won't be as potent as using the sodium carbonate you had previously used. It also won't raise pH as much as the carbonate.
Wonderful thanks for the reply all. Will b picking up some carbonate on tuesday and will use the buffer for the time being. A quarter of a teaspoon seems to keep me right on track for my alk consumption

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back