Such a sad day...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my nightmare became reality.

I was in the Bahamas from Friday last week until Tuesday (yesterday as I wrote this). My fish were under the care of my father.

Yep you all know where this is going. The longest running curse. The vacation curse.

I arrived home last night about 11:00 am with unpacking to do, children to reunite with, and I had to put them to bed. I was too exhausted from traveling that I didn't check on the fish.

I came downstairs to my feed my fish to see my 125 wrasse tank, 55 gal quarantine tank full of fish, and 180 gal angelfish tank completely quiet. Lights off, pumps off, fish all lying on the sand dead. My heart completely sank. Frantic I turned the breaker back on. It was too late.

1) Queen angel
2) Emperor angel
3) Moorish idol
4) Passer Angel
5) Magnificent foxface
6) Clown tang
7) Yellow belly hippo tang
8) Blonde naso tan
9) Banana wrasse
10) Large powder blue tang
11) Blue star leopard wrasse female
12) Blue star leopard male
13) Ornate leopard male
14) Potters leopard
15) Radiant wrasse male
16) Pinkface wrasse
17) Red coris wrasse
18) Flame hawk
19) Matted filefish (ate aiptasia)
20) Bicolor blenny

There was one survivor---a transitional annularis angel who is doing well I barely caught her in time. She was barely breathing upon discovery.

All gone. I am pretty beat up about it. I figured out after work what tripped it, a power strip went bad. I wish I had gone down last night it looks like a few fish were freshly dead, others had been gone at least 24-48 hours by the looks of them.

I don't really know if I can keep up those tanks, at this stage I cannot afford to replace them. I don't have the time to quarantine them all with work and family demands (two kids under 3) being what they are. Add to that I plan to move in a year. I guess that task just got a lot easier. I'm going to break them all down I guess, and await the move before deciding what to do.

My tang tank is still intact, but some of those inhabitants were in my quarantine tank. 3 other tanks, leveled. I have some coral still alive in one of them but not enough to keep it running and I worry some of it won't make it. My lack of time has had them dwindling anyway.

I'm heartbroken and pretty distraught. I feel so guilty. I've had several of these fish for several years, some I grew since juveniles to beautiful large specimens. Others were three days from going in to their main system upstairs (from quarantine).

Sorry to whine on here. I know we have all been through this at some point. It seems like I've had particularly bad luck.

RIP fishy friends. Sorry.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my goodness, @4FordFamily I am so so sorry. I know I can't say anything to make this better, but I wish I could. It sounds like you had an amazing set up. I too, have 2 boys - 2 and 3 years old. Had I known how much work this was with everything else going on, I probably wouldn't have started this when I did. But now I feel I have to keep up, and am glad to have it. With moving, that makes complete sense, but it sure doesn't ease the blow. I am so sorry for your losses. :( Not sure if I can do anything, but whine away! We are here for you!

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's terrible:(
Feel free to let it all out.
I can't imagine what you're going through those fish become like family and with some you've had for years and seen them grow I can only imagine the heartache. But you will get through this and hopefully when you're back on top of it can make sure this doesn't happen again! God bless!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry that this happened. I do know the feeling though. I got out after my crash (hurricane got mine), but within a year I was setting up an upgraded tank. Take some time. I know it is extremely disappointing, but it will get better and you will be back.

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So very sorry to hear. That is terrible for sure. I've been through similar situations and ultimately made it a sad learning experience. Best of luck in the future endeavors and pay extra attention and love to the tang tank

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I think I feel far worse for the fish. What an awful way to go.

I guess at least the GFI did its job and cut the breaker before something caught fire.

I just wish my dad had noticed.

I just looked at my recorded shows (the main U-verse box is on the same circuit), the last one was from Sunday at 9:00 PM. So that means ~50 hours once I arrived home, about 60 when I discovered them. Just terrible I feel awful.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, so sorry to hear this my friend. :( Like you said, the vacation curse. Things can go fine 360 days out of the year and then there's that 5 days you are gone... :(:(:(
Yup.

I forgot to add, one young adult annularis angel did pull through. Caught some of its last breaths and it's doing well 12 hours later somehow.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add, one young adult annularis angel did pull through. Caught some of its last breaths and it's doing well 12 hours later somehow.

I know you don't want to hear this right now, but that one fish is your reason to rebuild & reclaim.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry4Ford! I know you're devastated. I wish there was something we could do or say to make you feel better. You've done a wonderful job with those fish and tanks. Your knowledge that you share here has helped so many people take care of and choose wisely the fish in their tanks. So even though many of yours are gone, many others are thriving because of your efforts!

Good luck on your move and look forward to seeing what your tanks look like in the future! I know once the pain of this dulls you will regain your love of the hobby!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back