OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you don't want to hear this right now, but that one fish is your reason to rebuild & reclaim.

I probably will, but it'll have to be after I move.

Thanks for the tough love, too!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt.:(

He's pretty beat up. It was an accident and he didn't know when the lights were to be on/off or what to look for and he really was the wrong person for the job. That falls on me. I should have elicited the help of someone else. Not his fault at all.

Thanks for listening everyone. I appreciate the kind words. I just wish I could reverse time and prevent all of this, but thats life.

On the other hand I have a house that didn't burn to the ground, a happy, healthy family, dogs and cats are well, work is well, everything is good. Things could be worse. Unless you're a fish in one of those tanks...

I do wonder how the annularis survived ~60 hours without circulation/oxygen!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an absolute nightmare . . .

I could feel my heart sinking as soon as I read "the vacation curse". Maybe there's a reason I almost never take a real vacation.

You're in my thoughts tonight.

~Bruce

reefs+waves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that sucks, I just had a wrasse die that I just got and even that was sad. I can't imagine having all those fish for a long time and then they all pass away.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there, 4FF. So sorry about your fish friends. Sometimes **it just happens and it's not anyone's fault, so don't beat yourself up too badly. IMO, those fish were lucky to have spent the time they did in your wonderful tank.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man!!, I'm so sorry to hear this. I can only imagine what you're going through. I know you had a lot of your fish a long time. Maybe this is something you need to do, going to one tank, with the family and life demands. Been there myself it's difficult to do. I'll be praying for you and here's to another opportunity in life;)s

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an absolute nightmare . . .

I could feel my heart sinking as soon as I read "the vacation curse". Maybe there's a reason I almost never take a real vacation.

You're in my thoughts tonight.

~Bruce
This was a business trip, a reward at that. Politically, declining wasn't an option and it was the Bahamas to an all inclusive. My wife wouldn't have let me bail lol

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for this event, that is awful.

It's a good reminder for everyone to set up heartbeat on their apex. It's really an amazing feature that will help prevent these types of (rather common) catastrophes.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man,my heart breaks for you.I had two power strips fail, in the past 3 years.
Geez! I guess I need better equipment!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for this event, that is awful.

It's a good reminder for everyone to set up heartbeat on their apex. It's really an amazing feature that will help prevent these types of (rather common) catastrophes.
With four running tanks apex wound be an expensive proposition! If money were no object or I had one or two tanks, all day.

Good idea though for most!

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm lucky enough to have an outlet on either side of the tank, both on there own breaker. I have the lights and wave makers on one and the sump and one wave maker on the other. At least I'll have water movement if something trips. I might be worth considering getting another outlet nearby. Just in case.

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With four running tanks apex wound be an expensive proposition! If money were no object or I had one or two tanks, all day.

Good idea though for most!

Absolutely, if they are all on the same circuit though just one would be sufficient. I basically just mentioned it because it is a newer feature and I bet lots of people who do own Apex don't know about it.

I wonder if there isn't a "free" solution in terms of a software that will ping your IP every few seconds or something and text you if it times out.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, if they are all on the same circuit though just one would be sufficient. I basically just mentioned it because it is a newer feature and I bet lots of people who do own Apex don't know about it.

I wonder if there isn't a "free" solution in terms of a software that will ping your IP every few seconds or something and text you if it times out.

Up until this month, there was - reeftronics. Unfortunately, they just announced that they will discontinue this (and a bunch of other) service.

As someone else mentioned, Apex Heartbeat will also perform this function.

4Ford, sorry to hear of your troubles.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use some cheap webcams to monitor your tanks while you're gone. Connect them to your WiFi and then view the cameras on your phone periodically. I would lower one of the powerheads to blow the corals around more, to ensure you could always see movement.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! I can't believe this happened! I am so, so, so sorry. Tears have welled up in my eyes as I was reading off the list of fish that you've lost. I'm so heartbroken.

Every time you look at that one fish that made it you'll remember what happened and it will make you stronger for your next adventure. Real Reefer's Don't Die. They don't give up. Stay Strong.

I have a name for that Angelfish. "Survivor".

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back