Such a sad day...

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use some cheap webcams to monitor your tanks while you're gone. Connect them to your WiFi and then view the cameras on your phone periodically. I would lower one of the powerheads to blow the corals around more, to ensure you could always see movement.

That's a wonderful idea about the cam. Also having a fire extinguisher and a smoke alarm in the same room as the tanks is important.

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use some cheap webcams to monitor your tanks while you're gone. Connect them to your WiFi and then view the cameras on your phone periodically. I would lower one of the powerheads to blow the corals around more, to ensure you could always see movement.

The only downside is that it's not an active alarm, although better than the alternative. I just feel like someone with some know-how could write up this script super easy to email when a ping fails.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just feel like someone with some know-how could write up this script super easy to email when a ping fails.

I'm not as familiar with controllers (Apex, Reefkeeper, etc.) as I should be, but my understanding is some already do this if your tank loses power.

I know some have even built a DIY controller using a cheap Raspberry Pi (plus expensive probes) for this purpose and many others.

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not as familiar with controllers (Apex, Reefkeeper, etc.) as I should be, but my understanding is some already do this if your tank loses power.

I know some have even built a DIY controller using a cheap Raspberry Pi (plus expensive probes) for this purpose and many others.
Yeah for sure, what I am saying is in response to "apex are expensive". I think someone in this community could probably put something together that you download for free (or a dollar or two) and put on an offsite computer.

Anyways sorry for the detour!

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss.

I know little about controllers but have seen a device that has a sim card in it that texts you when the power goes off.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just catching up... so sorry! That's terrible. :(
But I would do what you are saying. Tear down now, sell off anything you wouldn't use on the next build, and sock that money away.

Then you get to start planning the next build!!! That's the bright side. :)

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my nightmare became reality.

I was in the Bahamas from Friday last week until Tuesday (yesterday as I wrote this). My fish were under the care of my father.

Yep you all know where this is going. The longest running curse. The vacation curse.

I arrived home last night about 11:00 am with unpacking to do, children to reunite with, and I had to put them to bed. I was too exhausted from traveling that I didn't check on the fish.

I came downstairs to my feed my fish to see my 125 wrasse tank, 55 gal quarantine tank full of fish, and 180 gal angelfish tank completely quiet. Lights off, pumps off, fish all lying on the sand dead. My heart completely sank. Frantic I turned the breaker back on. It was too late.

1) Queen angel
2) Emperor angel
3) Moorish idol
4) Passer Angel
5) Magnificent foxface
6) Clown tang
7) Yellow belly hippo tang
8) Blonde naso tan
9) Banana wrasse
10) Large powder blue tang
11) Blue star leopard wrasse female
12) Blue star leopard male
13) Ornate leopard male
14) Potters leopard
15) Radiant wrasse male
16) Pinkface wrasse
17) Red coris wrasse
18) Flame hawk
19) Matted filefish (ate aiptasia)
20) Bicolor blenny

There was one survivor---a transitional annularis angel who is doing well I barely caught her in time. She was barely breathing upon discovery.

All gone. I am pretty beat up about it. I figured out after work what tripped it, a power strip went bad. I wish I had gone down last night it looks like a few fish were freshly dead, others had been gone at least 24-48 hours by the looks of them.

I don't really know if I can keep up those tanks, at this stage I cannot afford to replace them. I don't have the time to quarantine them all with work and family demands (two kids under 3) being what they are. Add to that I plan to move in a year. I guess that task just got a lot easier. I'm going to break them all down I guess, and await the move before deciding what to do.

My tang tank is still intact, but some of those inhabitants were in my quarantine tank. 3 other tanks, leveled. I have some coral still alive in one of them but not enough to keep it running and I worry some of it won't make it. My lack of time has had them dwindling anyway.

I'm heartbroken and pretty distraught. I feel so guilty. I've had several of these fish for several years, some I grew since juveniles to beautiful large specimens. Others were three days from going in to their main system upstairs (from quarantine).

Sorry to whine on here. I know we have all been through this at some point. It seems like I've had particularly bad luck.

RIP fishy friends. Sorry.

Thanks for listening.
So sorry for your loss ,I hope you manage too bounce back when your settled in your new home !

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang it man. So sorry to read this!! :(

I know how you feel about feeling sorry for the fish. I lost a bunch of fish in one swoop before and the money was the last thing on my mind. I felt for my pets.

Keep your head up man. It can happen to the best of us. I am sorry. YUCK!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You've done a lot for the community here! I want to help replace your fish when you're ready.

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is horrible.. I can't imagine what your going through.. it upsets me to no end to lose one fish or even a coral.. I'm so sorry for your loss.. you are very knowledgeable and help many others on here.. so with that said.. I can't wait to see your new start up and progression..

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh no...no. I am so so so sorry. My heart is breaking for you and your fish (yea, crying too, dang it.):(:(:(:(:(
Please, one little fishy is still alive and some coral, please, maybe just keep up your smaller tank. Maintain the survivors and if you get a tickle for more, fine. But until your move at least keep these guys going? Please?

I know how hard it is. I'm in the middle of the "why the heck am I doing this?? I can't seem to do it right and I'm just a killer. Bought a beautiful Oregon Blue Tort frag on Saturday and it was dead by Tuesday morning. I suck. I quit!" But I won't. I love fish too much and taking care of the tanks make me happy. I'll get better at this and something will happen again that I have no control of like it did last August...and I'll keep going even though I work 12-14 hours 4 days a week.

Just keep swimming.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back