Sugar Dosing...?

Kyle Rinker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on starting carbon dosing and was expecting to start using vinegar through my dosing pump for convenience. I am aware that some folks have also successfully used standard table sugar for carbon dosing. So, my question is this: since I want to use a dosing pump, is there any reason I couldn't dissolve a specified amount of sugar, say 1 tsp per 1 ounce (30ml) of RO/DI water and dose through my pump? Of course, this requires an extra step, but buying 1 bag of sugar would last for a long time and require far fewer trips to the store. Thoughts?

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of people doing it. I dose with a homemade mixture of vodka and vinegar. As my tank pH always tends to be lower than I'd like, I have, over time, drifted away from vinegar. I now use a 90/10 vodka to vinegar mixture to minimize the pH impact.

I'm sure the sugar would work just fine. As long as you stay away from the saturation point, the system should work fine.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of sucrose dosing as many more people seem to have issues with it than vinegar or vodka.

As to dosing, the sugar solution will grow bacteria in it. I wouldn't advise it unless it is very concentrated.

OP
OP
Kyle Rinker

Kyle Rinker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy, I already have a couple gallons of vinegar sitting around so I was planning to start there anyway. I've heard of a lot of cyano outbreaks with sugar. I'll check to see if I can find vodka by the gallon around here . If I read your article correctly, the vodka should last about 8 times longer.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy, I already have a couple gallons of vinegar sitting around so I was planning to start there anyway. I've heard of a lot of cyano outbreaks with sugar. I'll check to see if I can find vodka by the gallon around here . If I read your article correctly, the vodka should last about 8 times longer.

80 proof vodka is about 8 times as concentrated as normal 5% acidity distilled white vinegar. :)

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
884000e38f78387a244976e5947bed86.jpg

Brian Treadwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the VSV vodka, sugar and vinegar and had a algae bloom sugar can cause White bacteria that can create a little cloudy water so I cut the sugar out and cloudy water cleared up , I use 60% vinegar and 40% vodka mix and it works well , the vodka can fuel the cyano, start very slow.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back