Suggestions for 75 gallon seahorse build

mrsaltwaterguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm looking to convert one of my 75 gallon rr tanks to a seahorse build. I'm thinking of starting with erectus as I've read that they are best for beginners. I'm looking for any and all suggestions for aquascaping, flow, tankmates (if any), macro algaes and any other tips you may have for a pony beginner. Any suggestions for extra readings would be beneficial as well! Thanks in advance.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erectus are an awesome beginners seahorse and there are some nice healthy stock available "out there". It's not that kuda or reidi are any harder to care for, but if you want a shot at raising young, erectus are the way to go. It may not be something you're thinking of doing right now, but maybe an area of interest in the future.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm looking to convert one of my 75 gallon rr tanks to a seahorse build. I'm thinking of starting with erectus as I've read that they are best for beginners. I'm looking for any and all suggestions for aquascaping, flow, tankmates (if any), macro algaes and any other tips you may have for a pony beginner. Any suggestions for extra readings would be beneficial as well! Thanks in advance.
Hi mrsaltwaterguy! I totally agree with William about those being good sites to get good info on seahorse tanks and keeping.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then you bring back all the stuff you learn elsewhere so we can all talk about it here!! ;) We love to talk about horses here!

OP
OP
mrsaltwaterguy

mrsaltwaterguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything you want to know you can find on these sites
http://www.seahorse.org
http://fusedjaw.com
http://seahorse.com

Pete at Ocean Rider (seahorse.com) has an online course that is free and packed with information. If you join the forums you can contact him if you are interested.

Thanks for the links, I've checked out seahorse.org so far. I'll definitely contact him about the course. I like to know as much information as possible. Thanks for the responses thus far!

OP
OP
mrsaltwaterguy

mrsaltwaterguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've reached out to Pete but haven't heard back yet. I'm interested in seeing what you all have used for hitching posts. I've been thinking of using some macro algae within the tank. Do you all have some pictures of your builds?

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big issue I ran into was temperature. I live in Arizona, and use fans for evaporative cooling, and found that was not sufficient for keeping the tank cool enough.

I actually used some "fencing" from one of my grandkids "little People" farms, and it worked great as a hitching post, but of course looked a little less 'authentic" than a lot of people want.

Good luck! I miss having a seahorse tank!

OP
OP
mrsaltwaterguy

mrsaltwaterguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big issue I ran into was temperature. I live in Arizona, and use fans for evaporative cooling, and found that was not sufficient for keeping the tank cool enough.

I actually used some "fencing" from one of my grandkids "little People" farms, and it worked great as a hitching post, but of course looked a little less 'authentic" than a lot of people want.

Good luck! I miss having a seahorse tank!

I would imagine temperature won't be as large as an issue living in Minnesota. I can generally get by without any sort of extra cooling in the summer. I'll look into those hitching posts, I'm wondering if I can get some sort of macro to grow over it to make it look more authentic.

OP
OP
mrsaltwaterguy

mrsaltwaterguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with Halimeda and Dragon's Breath algae for hitching posts. If they don't take to that then I will look into other options. So excited to have them arrive tomorrow!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back