Sump Drained Out

JMC1018

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up Sunday morning to see that my sump had emptied out onto my carpet in the basement. I was cleaning the skimmer and I some how knocked the carbon reactor return out of the sump. I ad about 20 gallons of water empty out. I shop vac'd the carpet and got as much water I could.I have the dehumidifier going and I went to Home Depot and rented the large carpet fans. My wife is telling me that when she walks into the house it sticks like fish. What is the best way to get rid of the smell.

OP
OP
J

JMC1018

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. It was my dumb mistake and learned to make sure everything is where its suppose to be. Been doing this for about 12 years and this is the first big issue I've had.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up Sunday morning to see that my sump had emptied out onto my carpet in the basement. I was cleaning the skimmer and I some how knocked the carbon reactor return out of the sump. I ad about 20 gallons of water empty out. I shop vac'd the carpet and got as much water I could.I have the dehumidifier going and I went to Home Depot and rented the large carpet fans. My wife is telling me that when she walks into the house it sticks like fish. What is the best way to get rid of the smell.
I'd just get rid of the wife and live with the smell :p:p:D ...
P.s don't tell my wife that I said that :confused::confused:

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wet the carpet with fresh water and vacuum it up a few times, also, just to rinse as much out as possible. Once it is dry, get a big bag of baking soda and sprinkle a good amount on the carpet. Vacuum and replace every day or 2.

Breva1100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a 55 gallon freshwater tank break, which is not as bad as saltwater but still bad. It depends on the sub-floor, which I am assuming is concrete. To dry out the carpet and the pad, it is best to pull them both up in the area of the spill and run the fans and de-humidifier. As for the smell you will have to get an enzyme that will neutralize the bacteria. The professional carpet cleaners should have that. Or have you considered a new carpet or replacing the carpet with a nice tile and area rugs. Tanks and carpet don't mix.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odoban is a great product. I use it at work. It's an antiviral, antifungal, microbial cleaner that's safe on fabrics. Removed odor and prevents bacterial growth.
Is it safe to use near aquariums?

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as not directly added to the aquarium or sprayed where misting would be an issue I have used it in carpet by my sump with no ill effects. I make a slightly diluted mix and pour directly on carpet followed by a quick scrub with a rag then vac after dry.

technojunky101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to granger or order online Microban I used to work for r sears always used that stuff after flood jobs will kill off mold and smell but you have 3 days after that carpet pad everything will need to be bleached

Back