Sump help

SR52012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning on starting a 20 gal tank with a 10gal sump. I was thinking 3 chamber, first with a skimmer and either a filter sock or floss and carbon. Second chamber would be a refug, then bubble trap and return pump.

Just looking for more ideas, this is my first sump and could use some input. Thanks in advance!

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did just that with a 30 gallon tank for my 100 gallon. I did mine based off pressure and gravity. I dumped into the first chamber with the skimmer set to 9" with baffle to havea consistent water height for skimmer. I then used another 9 " baffle t 1" off the bottom to create the bubble trap. I then put a 7.5" baffle after that to dump into my refugium in which I separated with a 4" baffle 3/4" off the bottom so that I could have the waterfall dump into rubble and then I put one more baffle 6" up with egg crate to stop the macros(in the in between section) from flowing into the return pump. I also keep my ATO in the return pump section so that it covers that section and the previous two sections at the same level. When the pump goes off I used these numbers so that it can take the extra water from the tank and 3" of tank left over so there are no floods.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd at least think about doing an open sump and skipping the typical setup. 10 gallons isn't much space to begin with. Once you permanently chop the space into bits, you won't have much flexibility do different things with it later.

:)

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd at least think about doing an open sump and skipping the typical setup. 10 gallons isn't much space to begin with. Once you permanently chop the space into bits, you won't have much flexibility do different things with it later.

:)
Agreed 100% I use a 40gB for my sump on my 75 as that allows more room for equipment and the refugium section :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back