Sump??? Refugim???

trouble93

and it never ends
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55gal tank up and running doing well...I just got a 125gal tank. And I'm thinking of doing a sump or refugim...I have a few extra tanks laying around. My first ? is what size tank should I use, and 2nd what are the pros & cons (sump vs. refugim)

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just use your old 55 and add a couple baffles and do both if you have the rom but honestly a sump is great realy cleans up the look or a tank not haveing all that equipment hanging on the back glass i personally love my low flow fuge and sump combo lol

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep i would just turn your 55 into a sump/fuge combo. The sump makes the tank look so much better without having to look at all the equipment.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only con is if not properly set up it can cause a flood if power goes out. Other than that i see no cons.

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have a few tanks laying around keep the 55 up and running and plumb the two together use your biggest extra tank as a sump then you're next biggest as a fuge your tank will benefit greatly from the added water volume and stability

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aggreed im considering this myself but just adding a 55 to my system for my predotors and mean ^%# yellow tang i have but i believe the entire tank is tempred glass it has a sticker that says do not drill tempered glass on the bottom

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that was my thought lol and hey ive already put 3 holes in the wall for the new skimmer what a couple more lol. how would i supply water from my DT to the %% just use another overflow box and have it run into the 55 never plumbed 2 DT's together but hey i had never done any plumbing befor now and now i know a few different things lol

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how would i i be able to though wouldnt i have to keep the tank that the overflow drains to lower than the DT tank? or did i miss something?

jerryc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost enjoy looking for the strange critters you can see in a fuge as looking at the tank. You never no whit you may see in one ???

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i simple filter sock and a couple glass baffles and you should be fine and a 100lbs should be ok but you could do allot of you live rock down in your combo sump and fuge to free up some room in you DT

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live rock in the DT really all depends on what u like, some like a lot of rock some like a more open look its all up to you really

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally i like alot because it gives me a ton of room to place corals it also looks more like a reef and not random rocks in the middle of the ocean ha

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back