SunnyDs just another invasive palythoa???

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has gone from 4 to over a hundred in 1.5 years (with 2 tank moves and down time). While an attractive coral, I do not want a tank covered in them. They just seem to grow and grow.....

sunnydjan2017.jpg

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhh, I don't consider that a problem. There are worse issues to have haha. This is mine that went from 2 polyps to this (both sides of the rock) In around 8 months.
20170120_182650.jpg

Just cut them back if needed and sell them. That's what I do with my zippers and other zoas that are big colonies now. Here's that one too
20170120_182559.jpg

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag and sell!

Gladly take some off your hands if need. :D

Uhh, I don't consider that a problem. There are worse issues to have haha. This is mine that went from 2 polyps to this (both sides of the rock) In around 8 months.
20170120_182650.jpg

Just cut them back if needed and sell them. That's what I do with my zippers and other zoas that are big colonies now. Here's that one too
20170120_182559.jpg

Me as well!

What state are you in?

I am a lazy fragger in S. Az. Guess I am going to have to be more pro-active since I also have Rasta sprouting all over as well.

@AcroNem, Yea I am going to have to start fragging them up. My intention is to have an sps dominated not zoa/palys.

Nice images. :)

baseballfanatic2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170120_182650.jpg

20170120_182559.jpg
What lighting do you run?

FragCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pfff first of all those arent sunny D... Second of all thats not invasive.. 1.5 years and you've got what a 3"x3" colony? Maybe less looks more like 2"x2"..... Im sure you can just take that out and sell it for some nice change if your so worried about it taking over your tank. Most coral will grow at about that same rate except SPS.. Invasive coral will take over a 4ft tank completely in 1.5 years not grow into a massive 2 inch colony lol. Think about green star polyp, blue cloves, xenia aptasia, .....

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pfff first of all those arent sunny D... Second of all thats not invasive.. 1.5 years and you've got what a 3"x3" colony? Maybe less looks more like 2"x2"..... Im sure you can just take that out and sell it for some nice change if your so worried about it taking over your tank. Most coral will grow at about that same rate except SPS.. Invasive coral will take over a 4ft tank completely in 1.5 years not grow into a massive 2 inch colony lol. Think about green star polyp, blue cloves, xenia aptasia, .....

Pfffff...yeah they are, colors are off as are skirts from a tank issue, I got them from a reputable zoanthid dealer. If you read my post the tank was down and these were abused for about 6months. Original intent was will they take over my tank, since the tank is now starting to come around and they are taking off. I do not want them all over like green palys, so I am wondering if I need to intervene sooner than I expected. :p:rolleyes:

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those are indeed Sunny D's I think his lighting is making them look off, but those are. Your name looks like a vendor name, don't recognize it. If so you may want to write slightly nicer or people might get the wrong idea...

What lighting do you run?

Maxspect Razor 160w 16k on my display, Can't remember settings off the top of my head though. They grow everything like a weed, but on my propagation systems I use T5ho and Halides.

cody2cannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are indeed Sunny D's I think his lighting is making them look off, but those are. Your name looks like a vendor name, don't recognize it. If so you may want to write slightly nicer or people might get the wrong idea...

Maxspect Razor 160w 16k on my display, Can't remember settings off the top of my head though. They grow everything like a weed, but on my propagation systems I use T5ho and Halides.
Yea that guy needs to chill lol

FragCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry i get offended when people use my favorite coral and the word "invasive" in the same sentence. But honesty I wouldn't consider them invasive by any standard.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sunny D's grow like crazy as well but I frag them. From my experience they seem to be a little sensitive to fragging, I always lose a few. I would not consider them invasive. Plus a coral is only invasive if you allow it to be. Be smart with placement and keep up with your husbandry and you will be fine.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back