super bummed Fuzzy rip

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always shied away from dwarf lions, from my experience seeing a poor survival rate. I saw this guy in a lfs; starving, stomach sunken, and pale. The unknowning and possibly even uncaring owner of the lfs assuring me he was even eating flake food. So I took him to a 30g clam tank I had with no fish.

A couple of days and I started to get him eating ghosties. I fattened him up over the next couple of weeks and then he just took off. He became one of my favorite fish; beautiful vibrant, active, and a character in his own sense. But he never, no matter what I tried would take to dead food. If he would take it, he'd just spit it up; even when I thought I had success, I'd just find it floating around after I turned my back.

So after I opened my eyes I started seeing small lions all over town; withering, some stores feeding them live to keep them long enough for someone to take them home. So I ended up with my lion tank manly eating live food.

The Fuzz was always a beast when it came to eating, I had to block him with a feeding stick just to manage. I would sometimes leave a few ghosties or saltwater molly fry in the tank after feeding, just to give them something to do between feedings. The day after the last feeding I saw fuzzy, and was immediately worried. It looks like he wen on a rampage and just devoured everything I left in the tank. His stomach was huge, I knew he had bloat. The next day his breathing was labored, the next day he was dead.

Not only was he one of my favorites, it's the 1st loss I've had in a display for many years. He was with me for 4.5 years. RIP

IMG_20160704_134828.jpg

IMG_20160624_164840.jpg

Back