0   0   0
Wow dude, your coral colours are incredible! :wink:

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff man, are you running out of places to put corals yet?

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, man... your corals look amazing. keep up the good work man! where's the vid? :wink:

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!!

@Brett- I've been out of places to put corals for a while, but hopefully the upcoming fluke tab treatment will give me some new space to mount some frags! Once the anthelia & GSP are gone, it should open up quite a bit of real estate. :xd:

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too as you know. I really detest my sump and I am solving that issue. Everything I need, or want, should fit into the new sump nicely.
It seems, that almost everyone starts out with a carefully thought out plan then ends up changing or tweaking things around.

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, I don't have any room for the reactors inside the sump, so I'm stuck hanging them on the side for the time being. In a way, I almost wished it was a crack in the sump so that it would give me the motivation to finally get rid of the 55g sump that's currently in there. It's so tall that it's been a nightmare to work in and I'd really like to redo some of the plumbing as well. I have a drilled 40B that I could use as a sump with a 10g acrylic tank attached as a fuge, but it's such a daunting project to even consider doing without some panicked motivation...

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too as you know. I really detest my sump and I am solving that issue. Everything I need, or want, should fit into the new sump nicely.
It seems, that almost everyone starts out with a carefully thought out plan then ends up changing or tweaking things around.

Ain't that the truth! This is probably the 7th or 8th tank I've set up over the years (I was in the army, so I was contantly setting up a new tank, only to tear it down a few months later). Every time I make a few changes and realize soon thereafter what I should've changed. This is probably the last tank until I buy a new house. At that point I'll be setting up a 300g+ tank in the basement and have made several notes on changes I plan to make. Unfortunately, the poor economy keeps me from getting a job in my field, so it may be a while...

jdd7781

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott - tank looks great! I'm in the planning stages for my 180g mixed reef build & wanted to get your input on the overflow placement. Most standard tanks offer option of placing the overflows on each corner, OR about a foot or so from each corner. Looks like your tank has the corner overflows. Any thoughts on that, primarily relating to how it affects aquascaping and viewing the tank from the sides? Thx!

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott - tank looks great! I'm in the planning stages for my 180g mixed reef build & wanted to get your input on the overflow placement. Most standard tanks offer option of placing the overflows on each corner, OR about a foot or so from each corner. Looks like your tank has the corner overflows. Any thoughts on that, primarily relating to how it affects aquascaping and viewing the tank from the sides? Thx!

I prefer the corner overflows because they are more subtle, but if I could do things over again, I'd definitely opt for an external overflow. It really depends on the type of aquascapng you're planning. With an island, bonsai, or minimalist 'scape, the overflow placement won't play a huge factor other than structure placement and aesthetics. However, if you prefer a wall type 'scape, corner overflows might make it difficult to get enough flow within/behind the rockwork. Without adequate flow, you'll be left with a significant amount of detritus settling back there that could lead to problems down the road. If the tank will be viewable from the ends, the corner overflows will be distracting, but the footprint of a 180 still provides a decent view (about 18" wide on my tank). My tank is primarily viewed from the front, so I didn't really take that into consideration. The back overflows will still hinder your view to an extent, but at least you won't be looking directly into the overflow. Sorry to say it, but there's really no straight forward answer IMHO other than an external overflow.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • None.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back