OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've really never had a problem with it. Not sure if it's due to too much light, too low of nutrients, or what the deal is? I started off with 2 stalks a couple years ago and including the ones I removed, I have maybe 10 stalks? It just never really struck me as a pest. Anthelia, GSP, and brown protopalys on the other hand....

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've really never had a problem with it. Not sure if it's due to too much light, too low of nutrients, or what the deal is? I started off with 2 stalks a couple years ago and including the ones I removed, I have maybe 10 stalks? It just never really struck me as a pest. Anthelia, GSP, and brown protopalys on the other hand....
I wonder who will win? GSP and xenia Vs BTA's? :confused:

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that there various types of xenia out there, and some spreads much faster than others. I had one type that showed a very prominent stalk, and over 2 1/2 years only produced 3 more stalks. Then another type that spread 10 times that fast, but I had it secluded on a rock, so it couldnt go crazy. I also believe in a low nutrient tank they will adjust but wont spread like they will in just a softie tank.

Good luck on ridding them.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience in a previous tank with xenia. This strain doesn't seem to reproduce quickly, but the type I had in my 55g several years ago was quite prolific.

24 hours down and it's looking very promising. The anthelia is already in rough shape and the GSP is barely opening this morning. Xenia & Sympodium look slightly irritated, but not too bad. All other inhabitants look completely normal (unfortunately, that includes the brown protopalys that have shown up all over the left island). It's a 72-96 hour treatment and I'm quite optimistic thus far!

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I came home to a real scare. As soon as I opened the door, I was overwhelmed with a low-tide smell. I ran in to check on the tank and luckily everything looks fine... everything except the anthelia that is! I'm at 72 hours and I just started running carbon and the skimmer again. The GSP hasn't opened in a couple days and the encrusted growth is discolored, but I'm not positive that it's dead. The anthelia is breaking apart when I touch it, so I think I'm finally rid of that pest! I'll let the skimmer & carbon do their part for 24 hours and tomorrow I'll be doing a 50g water change. If any of the GSP or anthelia seems to survive, I'll be doing a second round of fluke tab treatment next week.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I bet your stomach instantly tied about 1000 knots.... Good to hear that, well almost everything is doing well!

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I came home to a real scare. As soon as I opened the door, I was overwhelmed with a low-tide smell. I ran in to check on the tank and luckily everything looks fine... everything except the anthelia that is! I'm at 72 hours and I just started running carbon and the skimmer again. The GSP hasn't opened in a couple days and the encrusted growth is discolored, but I'm not positive that it's dead. The anthelia is breaking apart when I touch it, so I think I'm finally rid of that pest! I'll let the skimmer & carbon do their part for 24 hours and tomorrow I'll be doing a 50g water change. If any of the GSP or anthelia seems to survive, I'll be doing a second round of fluke tab treatment next week.
so, just some corals dying made the smell? glad everything checked out. 1smile1

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I bet your stomach instantly tied about 1000 knots.... Good to hear that, well almost everything is doing well!
Yeah it did! I think I knocked a few months off my life with that scare!
so, just some corals dying made the smell? glad everything checked out. 1smile1
If you've ever manually removed anthelia, you know how bad it smells. Multiply that by 100 and then you have the smell of it when a large amount dies in your tank.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've ever manually removed anthelia, you know how bad it smells. Multiply that by 100 and then you have the smell of it when a large amount dies in your tank.
good thing I've never had to deal with anthelia then. :hammer:

anyway, good luck again bro. :bigsmile:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet man congrats!

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome man, glad it's all working out for you. Hit those GSP with a turkey baster and see if they peel up in sheets.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, glad to hear it's working for you!

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I moved a few colonies around today to fill in some of the newly available real estate. The tank doesn't look nearly as grown in now that the anthelia & GSP are gone. Between all the fragging I did for a recent frag swap and the areas that used to be covered in coral, it leaves me with quite a bit of room to mount some new frags! :xd:

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone who has followed my build thread over the years. With a baby at home and an extremely busy work schedule, I've found myself having too little time for the hobby and the reef isn't getting the care & enjoyment that it deserves. I've sold all of my livestock and I'll be tearing down the tank over the next week or so. I'll be hanging on to all of my equipment so that I can set up another tank in the future, but for now I'll be taking a much needed break. I'll still be around on the boards, but no more updates on this tank. :squigglemouth:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sad to hear about the tank but definitely understand taking a break with more important things. Enjoy the break. Hopefully it's not too long before we see another build. :)

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sad to hear you are getting out Swanny.... I hope you come back quick and have another awesome tank for us all to be envious of and drool on soon.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back