Switching a tank from Freshwater to Saltwater

audikers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am new to this hobby, and I will be converting a 150 gallon tank from fresh water to salt water. It is a beautiful clean tank and already drilled for saltwater.

First. The tank has black sand in it from Hawaii. Can this sand be utilized for a saltwater set up? What do I need to do to prepare this sand for a saltwater tank. Would sand sifters like this kind of sand or not?

Two. I live in Florida, and the other option that I have is I could potentially utilize sugar sand from the beaches. Pros or Cons? Would this be a viable option? Some one had suggested potential for harmful chemicals.

Three. What do I need to do to prep the tank itself for the switch? Someone had suggested some vinegar to clean the tank with and replacing the Silicone. How hard is that to do?

Four. How long do you cycle a new tank with the Sand and Live rock? I will most likely get water, sand and rock in it at first, and then allow it to sit for a while before adding anything else to it.

I will probably think of more questions. This is all I have for now.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ...

Two: I know many people who have used sand from the beach but IMO I would be cautious due to pollutants; hundreds of thousands of people visit the beaches every year dumping all sorts of unwanted things into the sand and adjacent street run off would be a couple concerns I would have.

Three: Yes, you can use water & vinegar to clean the tank and any equipment you might be able to still use.

Four: Good Resource for cycling a tank: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/

Others will chime in with more detail.;)

IMG_4786 santa.jpg

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back