Switching salt mix

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using IO reef crystals and looking to switch to Aquafresh. What is the best way to transition to new mix without any issues. I have never switched since starting my tank 3 years ago. I change out 10 percent weekly.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from reef crystals to salinity. About a year ago for no reason really I always heard good things about it. I am considering going back because since then my alk has been very hard to keep up. Over the past 5 years I have tried, reef crystals, Kent, salinity, microblift, and one other I can't think of name right now. And I always go back to reef crystals. My tanks just seem more stable.

OP
OP
slipknotgrrl83

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the most successful use IO. Good luck though. I went to Aqua Forest Reef , but I am not convinced that is was the salt mix.

Yeah I hear mixed reviews, some successfull some not. I am not convinced it's my salt yet but will be researching fully before I change anything

OP
OP
slipknotgrrl83

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from reef crystals to salinity. About a year ago for no reason really I always heard good things about it. I am considering going back because since then my alk has been very hard to keep up. Over the past 5 years I have tried, reef crystals, Kent, salinity, microblift, and one other I can't think of name right now. And I always go back to reef crystals. My tanks just seem more stable.
Good to know! Stability is definitely a must. Mine does stay stable so now I'm second guessing changing

Blmain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Instant Ocean Reef Crystals without any issue. If you decide to switch, I don't think you can go wrong with Red Sea Coral Pro or Aquaforest Reef Salt. I think the reason why myself and other reefers switch is because we are all chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.;) At the end of the day, they all get the job done. Good luck in finding out what works best for you!

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thought. When I buy reef crystal. I buy the box and pour it into a bucket. This allows the salt it self to be mixed. I have read that when you buy the buckets you should roll them on there sides to mix them. This could be the reason I have not had stability with the salt I use now.

OP
OP
slipknotgrrl83

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Instant Ocean Reef Crystals without any issue. If you decide to switch, I don't think you can go wrong with Red Sea Coral Pro or Aquaforest Reef Salt. I think the reason why myself and other reefers switch is because we are all chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.;) At the end of the day, they all get the job done. Good luck in finding out what works best for you!
So true! Thanks

OP
OP
slipknotgrrl83

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thought. When I buy reef crystal. I buy the box and pour it into a bucket. This allows the salt it self to be mixed. I have read that when you buy the buckets you should roll them on there sides to mix them. This could be the reason I have not had stability with the salt I use now.
I store mine in a bucket and always stir the salt up a bit before using:)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back