synergy reef overflow placement?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently purchased a 16 in ghost overflow. I plan to install this on a 75 all glass. I have the unit in hand very well built and low profile as advertised. I must add rather pricey as well!
Anyway, I'm concerned on how high I want to mark the holes to be drilled. It comes with a template with a sticker with arrows stating" top of inside of tank" I would like to know if anybody has installed this overflow and if they would have lowered it a bit or such, Thanks.

Steve Maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I dropped down 1 1/2" from the top. However, I wish I would have came down at least another 1/4"...the black box does not fit on the back box now due to the trim of the tank being in the way :(

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Steve, It seemed a bit high. Hope You can trim the frame to fit!

Steve Maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Steve, It seemed a bit high. Hope You can trim the frame to fit!

Today's the day I need to decide what to do:
1) Trim the bottom of the trim on the Marineland...which I hear would void the warranty :(
2) Trim the bottom of the synergy lid so the lid fits
3) Leave it alone and see how loud it is

I think trimming the tank's trim would be much easier, but I hate that "void the warranty" part. Can anybody tell me how loud the overflow is if the lid is left off? The lid will fit somewhat, but it will not totally close. I'm filling the tank up with water today and now is the last chance I will have to easily get back behind the tank without having to drain the tank.

Thanks!

KingTriton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not 100% on this, but I think the lid is for cosmetic reasons not so much noise reduction as it should be silent regardless.

Defective_Weeble

Salty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's the day I need to decide what to do:
1) Trim the bottom of the trim on the Marineland...which I hear would void the warranty :(
2) Trim the bottom of the synergy lid so the lid fits
3) Leave it alone and see how loud it is

I think trimming the tank's trim would be much easier, but I hate that "void the warranty" part. Can anybody tell me how loud the overflow is if the lid is left off? The lid will fit somewhat, but it will not totally close. I'm filling the tank up with water today and now is the last chance I will have to easily get back behind the tank without having to drain the tank.

Thanks!

@mixer911 could probably help here.

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set mine so that the lid just barely fits under the back of the tank trim and it is perfect water height on my 180. There is just enough room to squeeze the cover on

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve I would think if You had to , take a bit off the lid it would work just fine. Also I agree with King but it would be nice to use the top cover. Good Luck on Your choice.
Hey Terry, so just where is the water level in Your tank? I want to be able to have real good surface agitation without any splashing over the top. I built the overflows on my big tank too tall and can't now.

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water level is about halfway up the black plastic trim. High enough that I don't see it under the trim, low enough that a good wave doesn't splash out.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that worked, I was trying to include a pic. I will be installing the overflow on this 75 gl all glass. It's been bubbling since November. I don't have the gate valve or sand yet. I want to figure out every thing before I put all this in barrels. If I have everything ready to go, I think I can do it in a weekend.
Terry,Thanks for the specific info
Steve, What did You decide to do?

HPIM8178.JPG

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the h20 overflow for my 75 works great was one hole drill templates set it perfect on my marineland and is quiet.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 hours ago I took my Dremel to it and trimmed off a bit of the back cover of the overflow...fits great now! :)
Glad it worked for You! Screw the warranty ! Let me know where the actual water line ends up.
Jet, Where is Your water line, meaning how much room to the top?

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks jet, I want a good inch to the very top.
Today I looked for a local source for a pvc gate valve. All I found was they could order. Well I can do that myself!

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pvc valves are pricey! Also ,which way to go with the plumbing ? I want to be able to unscrew the drains and change them out if necessary. The bulkheads supplies are inside slips. the two bulkheads on each end. these slips are no issue. Ya just unscrew an lift the whole thing out. Now the center hole is blocked with braces. If You want to change it out might be worth replacing with an inside threaded bulkhead. I will look tomorrow for a female threaded fitting for the outside threads for the center bulkhead. LOL Sorry Gents better than talking to myself!
By the way, afer the bulkheads and a little rigid pipe/ valve on one, I will be using flex tubing that I have from old wetdrys to carry the water down into the sump.

Last edited:
Back