T-5 app for a Radion

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish..............I wish Ecotech made a T-5 application for the XR30's. A T-5 fixture which looks nice that the Radion would fit down into with x2 bulbs on either side. Make it so it all looks like one solid fixture. I want to add T-5's to my system but there's no pretty way to do it.

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats an idea but it would be so nice to drop the Radion into a ready-to-go add on fixture that looks like the two were meant to be. Have 2x 24" or 18" on either side.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reefsahoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
milky way galaxy, 3 planet from the sun, in a coun
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been people that have tried to bring a fixture like this to market.
https://reefbuilders.com/2014/09/10/triton-aquatics-hybrid-t5-led-invites-bring-lights/#

Ecotech will not make this type of unit because that would be admitting that their light doesn't do the job that it SHOULD.:)
Best T5 fixture with Radion's is to remove the Radion and but a whole t5 fixture on your tank.
I didn't want to say that, but that's exactly what I'm in the process of doing. At first I was looking to make a hybrid with my radion for the shimmer effect but decided for the latter. The radion works just fine (personally for me I don't like the growth pattern for sps, they tend to look stringy) until the sps begins to grow out and then the underside begins to die off.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats an idea but it would be so nice to drop the Radion into a ready-to-go add on fixture that looks like the two were meant to be. Have 2x 24" or 18" on either side.
i think we'll be seeing stuff like this very soon.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you say going T5 only would be best?
me? no. Led are too fun. There using varying intensities in the labs w temp control to spawn coral. My lil ruby dragonets do their dance right before the lights go out.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from T5 to LED only but with a fixture that behaves and performs like a T5 haha.

reefsahoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you say going T5 only would be best?

There is no "best". Because that's only an opinion. There's many thing to think about when choosing lighting. I personally don't like light spillage out of the tank. It causes a huge distraction for me. I also want something inaudible, so that means fans need to be ultra quiet. Then you come to what you're trying to keep. This will determine power and spectrum. If you use MH The draw back is heat to water and house. Then there's led, but I could never dial it in and find that growth pattern and the underside die off as the coral grows out. T5's give an awesome light spread and the corals growth pattern is best imo. But then you lose shimmer. Then you get into combination lighting. This is where $ start come into play. A hybrid led/t5 is upwards of $1500 some as high as $2-3k. MH/t5 bring tons of heat so now you get into chillers and ac cost. Which is best? That's debatable, but certainly cost is not, and that usually is what determines which way most people go.

garcia64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no "best". Because that's only an opinion. There's many thing to think about when choosing lighting. I personally don't like light spillage out of the tank. It causes a huge distraction for me. I also want something inaudible, so that means fans need to be ultra quiet. Then you come to what you're trying to keep. This will determine power and spectrum. If you use MH The draw back is heat to water and house. Then there's led, but I could never dial it in and find that growth pattern and the underside die off as the coral grows out. T5's give an awesome light spread and the corals growth pattern is best imo. But then you lose shimmer. Then you get into combination lighting. This is where $ start come into play. A hybrid led/t5 is upwards of $1500 some as high as $2-3k. MH/t5 bring tons of heat so now you get into chillers and ac cost. Which is best? That's debatable, but certainly cost is not, and that usually is what determines which way most people go.
Man I have such a hard decision to make... haha

reefsahoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I have such a hard decision to make... haha
I was beating myself up going back and forth with lighting, then I got a deal on a used sunpower 6x39w which made my decision easy. Look around on used eq, it may make the decision for you! Lol

reefsahoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people are really good at diy and can make their hybrid and make it look decent. Personally I wasn't blessed with the talent or patience to build one. I want a off the shelf unit. So like you, I was in the position of the difficult decision until the used unit showed up. If you notice, 6xt5's rarely show up for sale used. Ever wonder why? Lol

garcia64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people are really good at diy and can make their hybrid and make it look decent. Personally I wasn't blessed with the talent or patience to build one. I want a off the shelf unit. So like you, I was in the position of the difficult decision until the used unit showed up. If you notice, 6xt5's rarely show up for sale used. Ever wonder why? Lol
Well I think I will be going with T5 regardless, I have always gone LED and was never able to dial them in. Also a lot of my favorite coral vendors strictly use T5 and well I think I will be trying it too. I only plan to keep Chalices Favias and Acans in this new Lagoon tank.

reefsahoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice, want a 4x 39w t5 sunpower lol! I got a 6xt5 39 watt so I don't need the 4x. I literally was in the same boat as you. Thinking disassembling and cutting the 4x and adding the radion. The the 6x came up for sale and that made my decision easy.

zoanutty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not try a T5 unit 6-8 bulbs and try some of the LED T5 bulbs? I just ordered mine so I am impatiently waiting for them to arrive. I'm a strict LED person but I have seen the best growth with t5 but cannot give up the blue shimmer, hence my decision.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wish..............I wish Ecotech made a T-5 application for the XR30's. A T-5 fixture which looks nice that the Radion would fit down into with x2 bulbs on either side. Make it so it all looks like one solid fixture. I want to add T-5's to my system but there's no pretty way to do it.
AGREED!! That would sell a ton!! Especially if it was a collaboration of ATI and EcoTech. That would be a dream come true for me.

reefsahoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not try a T5 unit 6-8 bulbs and try some of the LED T5 bulbs? I just ordered mine so I am impatiently waiting for them to arrive. I'm a strict LED person but I have seen the best growth with t5 but cannot give up the blue shimmer, hence my decision.
i saw some led replacements for t5 bulbs but they cost 3x the price. Kinda steep to give it a try. Let me know how it goes.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back