Tailspot Blenny as first inhabitant?

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my daughter is in love with tailspot blennies. The reasoning for us wanting to start a reef tank is to keep one and enjoy their personality. However, is it a bad idea to have them as your first inhabitant after a new tank cycles?

I plan to start cycling my IM NUVO Fusion 10 in the coming week and she wants the first fish to be the blenny.

bean2986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tailspot demonstrates zero aggression. The only way I see there being an issue is if you are planning to add something extremely timid like a Firefish who should be given time alone to get comfortable. Make sure you keep him well fed if there is no algae for him to pick at in the tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nit necessarily a bad idea. Tailspot blennies can be a little bossy, but usually not too bad. It just depends on what other fish you want to stock.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tailspot blennys are one of my must have fish, love em, never had any signs of aggression or issues at all, can't see an issue w/ that being first choice.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In s 10 hallon tank it might be best to put in the purple firefish first, the tailspot second and the clownfish last, after the first two are comfortably settled in. The firefish and tailspot have very little biomass and could probably be added at the same time. Just feed lightly the first couple of weeks.
nano141.jpg

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it's on the small side mainly for the clown, they can be territorial, but don't forget about inverts as an option, cleaner shrimp maybe.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single occellaris doesn't usually get as aggressive as a pr. I think a firefish, stigmatura blenny, and occellaris clown will be fine.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the helpful responses. I think I will start off with the firefish and blenny after the cycle is over.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back