Talk Me Into Or Out Of Halides

Should I switch to halides/T5's?

• Don't do it... but change what you have.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've constantly used halides for years. The technology on the ballast have gotten much better and they do not consume near as much electricity as the once did.

I control heat only with fans setup through my Apex.

Bulb changes about once a year, no big deal.

I think a lot of folks remember the old days of halides being heat producing power hogs. Those days are long gone. Today's fixtures and ballast are much more efficient.

If you want great growth, set it and forget it then halides still are the gold standard . Think about this..... everyone always compares the light they use "LED's" to halides or a halide /T-5 combo.

+1) If it's not the Gold Standard why are company's still shooting to match what they do for all coral species. :)

I still remember when the Radium 20K bulb came out before MH/T5 fixtures.
That bulb was a dream come true for myself. I remember people saying that bulb would make your fish go blind (lol)

Since we have MH/T5 hydirds. I'd go :)with about 14k halides with blue end T5's to get the faster growth over a 20K Radium.

Last edited:

Walts O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks amazing why change it, I think you need to start another tank!

DeanF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a helpful relpy! My tank is only 22" deep... do you still recommend the 400's? I'm not sure what spectrum bulb I would run since I would also have the T5's for some actinic or super actinic action. I don't like an overly blue look, as evident by my FTS.

I also added your option to the voting:D
I use 250W radiums on a 27" deep tank and have plenty of light on the bottom.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did somebody mention "Chiller" over here?

That's one of my peav's no matter what lights you run.

I lost an entire reef while on vacation in 2008 when the AC went down in the dead of summer :eek: The entire house was 98 degrees when we came home. What a way to end a family vacation :(

I currently run a Teco TK1000, Heats and chills it's also monitored by my Apex system too.

So, When my AC went out last summer it was 95 degrees in my town home before it was fixed that evening.
I have a four year old reef and my chiller is my insurance policy and it payed for itself in one day. :)

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think, you already accomplished all the things you planned for your tank that's why now you are thinking of something to replace/to do.

...because real hobbyist don't know the word satisfied. You (we) always think of something to make things better.

Your tank is one of the prettiest and cleanest set up I've seen. If I were in your shoes, I'll just leave it be, and just set up a new one. At least you'll fully satisfy your itch to do/work on something :)

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I don't think you want to try something new. I think you just like cool new reef toys! HA!

There are MANY ways to grow a successful reef. Halides, LED, T5, Sunlight, Hybrids, Compact Florescents, etc. will all work for certain tanks and coral themes. They each come with their own set of challenges, pros and cons! Do what will make you happy and keep enjoying your reef.

What we really need is a LEDHALIDET5CF Hybrid!

Hmmm. Maybe I should cobble something together.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from LED to MH and electrically slightly lower new MH ballast make a difference. evaporation no difference my top of tank is changed on the same day it always was before. Heat not much 1 degree. Bulb changing really something you do once a year not and issue. Growth and color on corals better.
So many hobbyist have never even used t5 and MH. Lighting is a limiting factor in the success of a reef tank. If you are having issues that are lighting related. Shadowing hot spots and the like then give MH and t5 a chance it does work wonders on a tank when people try it.

marvo409

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your really wanting to switch I have 3 400watt single end with 20k radium bulbs 6 months old also have 3 20k ushio bulbs 6 months old that I will throw in (didn't like the ushio so I switched back to radium) with controllable ballast for 350$

marvo409

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There the lumen bright 3 minis reflectors if your interested 4093709797 Marvin

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick an amp meter on what a Halide pulls and do the same with your T5's then you have the heat also witch depending on where you live you may have to cool your tank also. Halides do a fantastic job, uses to have them, I have switched to LED's now

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Point in changing unless your doing 2 400 MH

If you don't do 400's I would say leave it be as it is.

I went LED first time off MH in 20+ years and the only reason is for me the goal of an established reef takes time and is part of the fun why rush it and cook it all LOL.

Yea different approach I'm sure I'll be back with halides in 6mo Haaa.

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH is tried and true! 250w mh will easily care for a 22" deep tank. I have a coralvue lumenbrite DE pendant 12" above the water par is awesome and it adds zero heat that far off the water. I like the DE fixtures myself and run a phoenix 14k bulb. the only down side to a DE pendant is there are no radium DE bulbs, that personally is the only down side I see.

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure the 250W will take care of a 22" tank 12" off the water but he will basically have the same as he has now.

IMO and what I was saying is other than shimmer the tank will virtually remain the same as it sits with the unit that's on their now with 250w

If you're going to do it upgrade I would do the 400's I've had 2 400's on a 90gal Frag Tank and that thing would grow like mad LOL.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to thank everyone for their contributions. I was pretty set on making the switch, but this only helped me confirm what I was already thinking. In the very short amount of time this thread was up, I sold my Aurora and already ordered the Spectra!

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be one thing If you were setting up a new system and wanting to try something new. You have a nice set up already. Personally I wouldn't mess with it. It seems like the corals would be effected a bit. I bet you lose some color both in the coral coloration because of spectrum and visually.

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What we really need is a LEDHALIDET5CF Hybrid![/QUOTE]

I kind of have done part of this at least, since I have a fishroom, I retrofitted or reworked my lighting. Let me explain, first. Started my tank back up and my coralife fixtures with 250w halides and actinics, the actinics weren't working so instead of getting new bulbs bought a couple of inexpensive LED's for the blue color, then I switched out and bought 2 250w pendant fixtures and got rid of my coralife that wasn't working. Then tore apart my corallife and remove the one of the 250w halides and placed in center (6 foot tank). So only thing missing is the t5CF, that's the nice thing about having a fishroom, the hood doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it works.

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to thank everyone for their contributions. I was pretty set on making the switch, but this only helped me confirm what I was already thinking. In the very short amount of time this thread was up, I sold my Aurora and already ordered the Spectra!
Just a suggestion, but I added Reef Brites to my set up and they are awesome for end of the day viewing, congrats on the Spectra

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back