Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

Twoby2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recovering from a nightmare. Have a purple tang that out of the blue decided to harass then kill a pyramid butterfly. Whitespot descended on quite a few others but strangely the purple tang went on a murder spree. First, the other butterfly, then the two spot tang & finally a dotty back all of which I witnessed. The white spot seems to have cleared up but the purple tang seems very nervous. No new additions have been added for months & all 'seemed' to get along fine. Fed three times a day & in my opinion well fed, he is a big fella.
My setup is 700l ish.
I'm too scared to add anything new now.

oafguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a few tangs in my tank. I have 7 in a 210g. they all gt along, however when I added the last 3 I increased feeding to 5-7 times a day. I had multiple sheets of Nori on all 4 sides of the tank. When I add the Fowleri, Blue Hippo, and Desjardini Sailfin, there was a mini war on the first day with the Naso and Orange Shoulder, after that is was just fine. I kept the heavy feeding up for 2 weeks, I moved some rocks around and then added some smaller fish on the 3rd day. They are all one big happy family. I have now gone back to 4 times a day feeding of various foods.

My tank Family:
1x Orange Shoulder Tang, 1x Fowleri Tang, 1x Desjardini Sailfin Tang, 1x Blue Hippo Tang, 3x Firefish, 1x Tomini Tang, 1x Scopas Tang, 1x Naso Tang, 2x Photon Clownfish, 2x Cleaner Shrimp, 35 Turbo Snails, 2 Peppermint Shrimp, 7 Green Chromis,1x Coral Beauty

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recovering from a nightmare. Have a purple tang that out of the blue decided to harass then kill a pyramid butterfly. Whitespot descended on quite a few others but strangely the purple tang went on a murder spree. First, the other butterfly, then the two spot tang & finally a dotty back all of which I witnessed. The white spot seems to have cleared up but the purple tang seems very nervous. No new additions have been added for months & all 'seemed' to get along fine. Fed three times a day & in my opinion well fed, he is a big fella.
My setup is 700l ish.
I'm too scared to add anything new now.
Sounds like you have a killer, good chance you'll need to sell him to someone with a predator tank

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's cruel to put a yellow tang in a nano ...
If it's a tiny yellow tang and very short term, it is probably not ideal but it may do. I don't recommend or condone it however

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well would a yellown tank in my 65 gallon be good?

Depends on what is currently there. I would say that it's possible if it is a small yellow tang but it will eventually outgrow the tank.

omar jawad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently added a Kole to a tank that has a Hippo. The first week seemed fine but I've started to notice the Kole getting bullied. He doesn't seem to be getting attacked but he is being pushed to his hiding spot. I was thinking of doing the Nori sheets on both sides of the tank. Would this help and is it likely that the aggression gets curbed?

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any trouble with Naso tangs getting started? I've tried three, and lost all ( all added at different times) within a month of adding to the tank. The first one were very shy/skiddish, one not eating well, second eating ok. But the last one I tried was eating like a pig, and swimming happily in the tank, then boom, next morning dead! There was nothing in the tank bothering any of them.
I'v have a Mimic Lemon Peel Tang (Acanthurus pyroferus) for a year and a half now (only tang in the tank the whole time), would it be ok to ad a Naso (if I get brave enough to try one again)?

oafguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had any problems. I have had the Mimic and naso together with no issues. just QT the Naso and ensure it eats well. then when you introduce to your main tank feed the Mimic and move the rock work to remove any territory issues. Add the Naso with low or no lights for at least 1 hour.

this worked for me. and mine is big and happy.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had any problems. I have had the Mimic and naso together with no issues. just QT the Naso and ensure it eats well. then when you introduce to your main tank feed the Mimic and move the rock work to remove any territory issues. Add the Naso with low or no lights for at least 1 hour.

this worked for me. and mine is big and happy.
Thanks. I may have to get brave and try it. I love Naso's!

Ryan15236

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@3FordFamily I am looking for a tang for my tank. I was leaning towards a purple tang but your ranking of the aggression level being so high has me questioning this. If you wouldn't recommend a purple then what would be some better options. Tank info
125 gallon 72x18
Mixed reef
2 clowns
Firefish
4 dispar Anthias
Tailspot blenny
Royal gramma
Also going to add a couple of wrasses

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently added a Kole to a tank that has a Hippo. The first week seemed fine but I've started to notice the Kole getting bullied. He doesn't seem to be getting attacked but he is being pushed to his hiding spot. I was thinking of doing the Nori sheets on both sides of the tank. Would this help and is it likely that the aggression gets curbed?
It may, yes. Sorry I am just seeing this. It helps to tag me to draw my attention here immediately.

A lot of times aggression is food-related. Hippo are not particularly aggressive, typically. My guess is that it will subside? How long has it been? @omar jawad

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back