Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

1. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Well-Known Member

Ford, I have a question. I've always added tangs together in the past and always last, but with my current system, I only wanted one tang and planned on adding it last.

Well that didn't go as planned and I was offered a beautiful Tomini almost 6 months ago at a sweet deal. Not juvenile, but definitely not fully grown. Went through quarantine with flying colors and was added to my two clowns and a yellow halichoeres wrasse. Very peaceful Tomini and has never shown any aggression to the other fish.

Now I'm wanting to add some other fish and really can't rework my rock structures. I'm looking at some other wrasses and possible chalk bass. (Always liked chalk bass) What is the best way to do this without the Tomini flipping a lid and attacking the new comers?

2. cperry7467

cperry7467 Well-Known Member

I've got a similar issue. I got a powder brown tang and never had any issues out of it, tried to introduce a melanurus wrasse today and the tang went nuts! I ended up pulling the wrasse and putting him in a quick DIY acclimation box. I think I'll keep him in a few days and then section off some of the tank with egg crate to get some closer interaction. If that doesn't work, any suggestions on what to try next ?

3. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

I would say the tomoni is not as likely as other tangs to attack, especially other non tang-shaped herbivores I suspect you'll be fine. When in doubt, a social acclimation box is never a bad idea. Good luck!

Flippers4pups likes this.
  4. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

Acanthurus can be nasty, unfortunately if he has it out for the wrasse he's not likely to forget. On the other hand, tangs are less likely to attack wrasse and other fish of such different shape long term. Unfortunately I'll give that a 50/50 shot. Social acclimation box was a good move!

5. Flippers4pups

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. Will go with acclimation box for sure and multiple fish at one time to break up one being the sole victim. (hopefully none)

Thanks again.

4FordFamily likes this.
  6. 4FordFamily

Sounds like a good plan! Good luck. Any time! :)

Flippers4pups likes this.
  7. cperry7467

Just wanted to share my success story. I tried to add a melanurus wrasse to my tank with a powder brown tang and there were fireworks! The tang pinned down the wrasse, bit his fins, chased non stop. It was ugly! I moved the wrasse to a DIY acclimation box just to get them separated but personally I don't care for this approach. The fish aren't socializing really and it's so confined and it's a guessing game on when to let them out... So, I decided to section off part of my tank with egg crate with a small twist. The tang is my biggest fish, so I cut a few holes in the egg crate just big enough for the other fish to go through, including the wrasse, but not the tang. So the other tankmates (goby, flame angel, clowns, flame hawk) could come and interact with the new wrasse but it also offered protection from the tang.

My first attempt did not go well. I made the hole too big, I was shocked the tang got through, and after about 45 minutes of staying on their own sides the tang came flying in and nailed the wrasse again. OK, had to pull out the egg crate and improvised by glueing some egg crate back on to make the holes a little smaller. I got it back in with fish separated and all is well.

After a few hours the wrasse decided to try and venture to the other side, came through and was chased back out but made it to safety.

Later in the day, he tried it again. This time the tang swam near him but no aggression. The wrasse was able to explore the whole tank without issue but I left the divider in just in case. This is day 3 and today I took out the egg crate and everyone is getting along fine.

IMG_20161230_094930.jpg
    IMG_20161230_120436.jpg

4FordFamily and Flippers4pups like this.
  8. cperry7467

And now they're sharing a snack
    IMG_20161230_124555.jpg

4FordFamily, Brew12 and Flippers4pups like this.
  9. Flippers4pups

I've thought about using a divider like that when I add more fish next year. Lol

10. 4FordFamily

Great work! Powders can be nasty!!