Tangs for dummies

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank as of right now has a hawk fish and diamond gobi, how ever the wife and I have plans for a powder brown, blue hippo and 4 yellow tangs. the brown and one yellow are at the lfs and the hippo and three other yellows will be coming from a fellow hobbyist

That might be kind of a lot of tangs in a four-foot tank . . .

~Bruce

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank as of right now has a hawk fish and diamond gobi, how ever the wife and I have plans for a powder brown, blue hippo and 4 yellow tangs. the brown and one yellow are at the lfs and the hippo and three other yellows will be coming from a fellow hobbyist

I dont' think I would add that many fish to this tank at one time anyway. Break that up into batches. The hawkfish and goby could easily go into a 10 gallon QT. I'm with maritimer again, that if this is a four foot tank that's a lot of tangs and some of them get too large for it. I would start with the yellow tangs, QT and add them together and hope they don't start fighting. @4FordFamily would be great in this convo as the resident Tang Guy.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont' think I would add that many fish to this tank at one time anyway. Break that up into batches. The hawkfish and goby could easily go into a 10 gallon QT. I'm with maritimer again, that if this is a four foot tank that's a lot of tangs and some of them get too large for it. I would start with the yellow tangs, QT and add them together and hope they don't start fighting. @4FordFamily would be great in this convo as the resident Tang Guy.
Imo that's way too many tangs for a 4 foot tank, although I saw a post about a 120 and a 125 -- either way that's a bit much. I wouldn't keep a powder brown nor a hippo in a 120 long term. 125 is 6 foot long and you might be OK but that would be almost all the fish you could safely (if you're lucky) keep.

Why not mix yellow and purple and perhaps a scopas instead of several yellow? Just an idea. I'd opt for a bristletooth tang of some sort and perhaps a trio of zebrasoma if you must have 4 tangs. Again, they won't fit in a 120 happily but if you went with those 4 you mag be OK for some time depending on other livestock and nutrient export.

OP
OP
R

Ru_dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo that's way too many tangs for a 4 foot tank, although I saw a post about a 120 and a 125 -- either way that's a bit much. I wouldn't keep a powder brown nor a hippo in a 120 long term. 125 is 6 foot long and you might be OK but that would be almost all the fish you could safely (if you're lucky) keep.

Why not mix yellow and purple and perhaps a scopas instead of several yellow? Just an idea. I'd opt for a bristletooth tang of some sort and perhaps a trio of zebrasoma if you must have 4 tangs. Again, they won't fit in a 120 happily but if you went with those 4 you mag be OK for some time depending on other livestock and nutrient export.
I was mid sending you a message when this was posted lol, thank you for your advice! It will not go unheard! I suppose the wife and i will need to rethink our stocking plans. Do you think it'd be an issue mainly because of space to swim or because of aggression between fish? But what I've really gathered so far is that I need an 8 foot tank...

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was mid sending you a message when this was posted lol, thank you for your advice! It will not go unheard! I suppose the wife and i will need to rethink our stocking plans. Do you think it'd be an issue mainly because of space to swim or because of aggression between fish? But what I've really gathered so far is that I need an 8 foot tank...
No problem!

Both factors are related so I would say both.

You and me both, brother!

OP
OP
R

Ru_dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you, just got that explained to me lol. So I'm going to qt with cupramine, going to leave the tank fish less for 76 days. Cupramine is going to kill all life stages of ich though in 14 days? So then the qt for 76 days is just to kill what's in the dt from starvation? After the 15 days what should I do? any other treatments? Or just enjoy the fishes presence lol

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you, just got that explained to me lol. So I'm going to qt with cupramine, going to leave the tank fish less for 76 days. Cupramine is going to kill all life stages of ich though in 14 days? So then the qt for 76 days is just to kill what's in the dt from starvation? After the 15 days what should I do? any other treatments? Or just enjoy the fishes presence lol
I prefer coppersafe or copper power (chelated copper) but have had lots of luck with cupramine as well. You'll want fish in therapeutic levels of copper (testing daily) for a full 30 days, not 14-15. This is to be certain of success. I recommend observing for 30-60 days afterward.

OP
OP
R

Ru_dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer coppersafe or copper power (chelated copper) but have had lots of luck with cupramine as well. You'll want fish in therapeutic levels of copper (testing daily) for a full 30 days, not 14-15. This is to be certain of success. I recommend observing for 30-60 days afterward.
Thank you!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine is going to kill all life stages of ich though in 14 days?
It only kills the free swimming stage, that we know of. So, I agree with 4ford... treating for 30 days straight at therapeutic levels is best followed by an observation period.

OP
OP
R

Ru_dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only kills the free swimming stage, that we know of. So, I agree with 4ford... treating for 30 days straight at therapeutic levels is best followed by an observation period.
does any other med kill all stages that we know of? Or do all copper products kill the swimming stage?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does any other med kill all stages that we know of? Or do all copper products kill the swimming stage?

Only the free swimming stage is targeted by chemical (copper, CP) and Hyposalinity (only works on certain strains) treatment. Or tank transfer method can outrun the front end of ich's lifecycle.

All forms of copper kill the free swimming stage, so long as they maintained continuously at therapeutic levels.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Only the free swimming stage is targeted by chemical (copper, CP) and Hyposalinity (only works on certain strains) treatment. Or tank transfer method can outrun the front end of ich's lifecycle.

All forms of copper kill the free swimming stage, so long as they maintained continuously at therapeutic levels.

^^ What he said. lol Humble you keep beating me to it! I'm all caught up now though :D

OP
OP
R

Ru_dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you, so ich's life cycle is only 14 days then? I'm assuming that's why it says to treat for 14days? but can take as long as 76 to starve?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, so ich's life cycle is only 14 days then? I'm assuming that's why it says to treat for 14days? but can take as long as 76 to starve?

There are several strains of ick, there was one case where the tomont took 72 days to hatch, which is what leads to the 76 day fallow period. It covers all known strains of ick.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an ideal salinity for qt tank?

Same as your display if you are transferring fish from the display for treatment. If receiving new fish, then you want it the same as the water in the bag the fish is arriving in. The only time I have ever adjusted the salinity is if the salinity of the water in the receiving bag is lower than mine.... so I will raise the salinity to match my display's salinity.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back