OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't mind having a few copper sweepers but I have never seen them for sale. I saw loads of them in Aruba in a foot of water. They look like freshwater hatchetfish but red. The ones I saw in Aruba were about 4" long. I like them because I have never seen them for sale which makes them odd.
Anybody ever have one?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had an appointment today with a Supermodel from the Veterans Administration. They are seeing if I have PTSD. I don't think so but I went anyway because she is a Supermodel.
She spoke to me for 45 minutes and asked me things from when I was born. I was born on Christmas Day so I probably was not paying much attention to my birth as I wanted to open my presents. Then I grew up, worked, made money, cut cars up with a torch yada yada yada. Got drafted and al that. She asked me what I did in the army before I went to Nam. I told her the Jeep story.
I am sure that story is on here someplace but I am bored now so I will tell it again. If you are bored, don't read this because there are no fish in it.
I was in Colorado, beautiful State but they have a lot of open spaces and the military owns much of it. We were supposed to play war games so this lieutenant says to me, load these two miles of wire on the back of the Jeep and we are going to lay it out to someplace that I never figured out. It was freezing cold and looked like it was going to snow.
Army Jeeps have no roof and army clothes are not very warm. So we drive out in the dark into the wilderness laying out this wire. It starts snowing. In Colorado it could snow 2' in an hour.
An hour later I am covered in 2' of snow in this Jeep and we have no idea where we are. General Patten says to me that he is going to climb on top of this little mountain to see if he sees any lights.
I said, good Idea because we are gonna die.
He leaves and I hear "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
I was a kid from New York so I don't know if that is a wolf, coyote, Bigfoot or a chip monk.
I grab my rifle, the rifle with no bullets and I climb on to the Jeep hood. I held the gun by the barrel waiting for Chip and Dale to attack me.
I hear the Lieutenant coming back. he has a 45, with no bullets and says he has no Idea where we are.
I say, how about this, I will walk in front of the Jeep and pick up the wire as I go so we can either find our way back or die of frostbite and Bigfoot bites.
That's what we did and that's how I came to be here today looking at my fish. :rolleyes:

My next session with the Supermodel we will talk about my time in Nam and maybe I will tell her another story. :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good. We woke up here today to a few inches of snow. That would not ever bother me but I am not allowed to shovel it yet because my shoulder didn't heal enough so I have to wait for my neighbors to get up and shovel me out. I will try some with my good arm, but I think that is going to be a waste of time.
Maybe I will go and talk to my fish. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool as long as it is a very light snow.
This was me a couple of years ago.

This was in the 70s when we had over two feet of snow. That day I made more money than I ever did in my life. No one had 4 wheel drive then.
And Annette, look at all that hair!

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty cool stuff. We got about 1/4-1/2" of ice down my way. Ughhh. I'm just going to wait for it to melt tomorrow. I spent some time this morning working on my FW native tank DIY foam background. I'll do some more later...had to take a lunch break.

IMG_7560_zpsxxhsijzy.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Daughter got us tickets for a Broadway show last night called Something Comet. I can't remember the exact name but it had Comet in it. Josh Groban stared in it and it was about the French Revolution, I think. Anyway, we were seated right on the stage. It was an old theater built in 1925 like most of those theaters. The stage is composed of about 5 small areas where they put a tiny table with 3 people around them. Brass rails surround the tiny table area and some of those areas are lower and some slightly higher than the stage which was a walkway that surrounded these tiny seating areas so the play happens all around you and right at your table. My wife was in a different one from me because my Daughter couldn't get 2 seats next to each other.

Of course as a musical there was a lot of dancing around and singing with a scattering of Supermodels in the show.
At one point all the lights went dark and they turned on one spot light. It was turned on me. I had on this bright red Christmas tie that was drawn by an 8 year old. One of the main characters comes over to me and whispers in my ear to please stand up. I thought she wanted to show off my tie, So I am standing in this very bright spot light and I am sure the shine off my bald head was blinding everyone and this girl who is holding my hand starts singing to me like I am her boy friend. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to sing or dance with her and if I did, would I do the tango, twist or the mashed potatoes?
I didn't know weather to pass gas or go blind until I looked at my wife. The old guy in the play who was supposed to be this girl's Father, has my wife, and the spot light is on her and this Geezer is singing to her.
What are the chances out of the hundreds of people in this theater that the two of us would be singled out. At times through the show, one of the cast members would sit next to you, or on your lap, which was interesting.
OK, that was my 0ne minute of Broadway fame.

The play ends and we go outside with the 800,000 other people on Broadway because most of the theaters on Broadway get out about the same time. My wife doesn't walk to well so we can't get down to the subway. We call an UBER. UBER says it will be at our location in 4 minutes. Then as we were looking at the phone it goes up to 7 minutes, then 11 minutes and I am watching him drive off on the screen. It was hard to look at the tiny phone screen because I was shivering so much I couldn't see straight. It was cold. About 16 of those silly bicycle Pedi cabs (Rickshaws) come by to take us but they charge $5.00 a "minute" and it would have taken an hour just to get off 46th street and we had to go to 4th street which meant I would still be in that thing calling a bank to sell my home to pay for the ride.
The UBER driver calls us to say, he can't get us because there is too much traffic. This is after 15 minutes of freezing.
OK we call another UBER cab. He will get us in 2 minutes. Then 6 minutes, then 10 minutes. He calls us to say, for get about it, he can't get us. Too much traffic.
At that point I was thinking of laying in the street in front of one of those pedi cabs, then when he runs me over I could then call an ambulance and see if they would take us to a hospital down town near 4th street and I would then run out the back door and meet our Daughter at the restaurant. Just as I started to lay in the street a regular TAXI dropped someone off right in front of us and before they got out, I did a swan dive into the car. My wife got in and we made it to the restaurant. :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new SteamPunk Lamp is about half finished. It still needs paint (like the copper look on my last one) rivets, a stand, maybe another light bulb and some tweeking. I would like to get that gage to spin but that will take some time. It was a fire extinguisher.

Speaking about Broadway plays, a few years ago our Daughter got us tickets for another play. An off Broadway play. She made a mistake with the time so we got there an hour early. We were the first on line and it was cold. After a few minutes we hear this screaming and see two bouncers carrying out this girl and they throw her in the street. A while later almost the same thing happens. (we later learned that this was part of the entertainment for people on line)
So the thing opens and we go in. It is a big dance floor with no tables or seats, just some small raised platforms. My wife has to run to the Ladies room so I am in the center of this place my self.
All of a sudden some loud music starts, bright lights come on, mainly on me, and these three "guys" come out roller skating around me "NAKED". Well, they were not exactly naked. They had feathers sticking out of their ears and another one on their ankles. :eek:
I am all alone except for my 3 dancing "friends" and I don't know which way to look. I am starring at the ceiling, looking at my feet, any place but straight ahead. I then notice there is a bar, and behind the bar is a girl. I start starring at her, but I think she got annoyed and wanted to call the bouncer. But it was the only direction I could look. I went (ran) over to the bar and ordered a drink. I think it was twenty two dollars, but at that point I would have paid twenty two hundred dollars. I quickly looked behind me to see if they left. They didn't. But now they were dancing on those little raised platforms and motioning for me to come over there. I have no idea how they secured those feathers in their ears and I didn't want to know.
I turned back to the Bar Maid so fast I think I twisted my neck . What was taking my Wife so long?
She finally comes back and I said WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG?
Then other people started to come in and I realized this play was mainly for Bachelorette Parties and besides the feathered naked guys, I was one of the only Men there. My Daughter really needs to pick these plays better.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story Paul.

And now for something completely different. How is the Harlequin Filefish coming along?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:eek::eek:
Did you run out of dollar bills? :D:D:D

The lamp looks great!

:eek::eek::eek:

Funny story Paul.

And now for something completely different. How is the Harlequin Filefish coming along?

That guy disappeared a long time ago. He was a rescue, he never ate in the store or in my tank. But his brother that a friend of mine bought at the same time is doing great and eats like a pig. :D

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as a former communications-electronics air force officer, I was gonna make a lamp from a klystron.

Never did and may not even have the klystron anymore.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guy disappeared a long time ago. He was a rescue, he never ate in the store or in my tank. But his brother that a friend of mine bought at the same time is doing great and eats like a pig. :D

Is it eating Acros or other foods? I stopped by an LFS today and they had four come in. They were nothing but skin and bones, and I didn't think that I'd be able to save any of them. At $90 a pop, I wasn't about to try.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt you could find a Klystrun anyplace. I would love to find anything that had old tubes in it. I threw away so much when I worked in Manhattan because I figured it was junk
Rybren:
He said it was eating everything but I didn't see it. It was only about $25.00. If I pay $90.00 for anything it better have something to do with a Supermodel, or at least dinner. :rolleyes:

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rybren:
He said it was eating everything but I didn't see it. It was only about $25.00. If I pay $90.00 for anything it better have something to do with a Supermodel, or at least dinner. :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back