Tank birthday, 47+ years

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, it might be a bandwidth/storage issue with Photobucket. I had the same thing happen. Once you have a bunch of pictures and reach their free space/bandwidth limit, then you have to pay to keep everything going. After so many views of your pics (bandwidth use), people can't see the pics. I think that's what happening. I'm not expert, but if anyone is out there, please chime in and correct me on the specifics. That's the only reason that I can think of that it's happening.

You can fix this by upgrading your Photobucket account (they should have sent you an email warning you about this and how to fix it) or you can switch to a different photo storage website.

I run an outdoors blog, so I need to have my pictures showing, so I upgraded my account. I pay for the cheapest option and it's more than enough storage/bandwidth. It's about $20 per year or so, I think.

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it has more to do with Tapatalk try viewing it on the web version

I'm on the web version on my PC and am seeing the red x's on some of the older pages. What I don't get is, that if I'm right, why some pics show and others don't. When I had the problem with Photobucket, none of my pics worked on any website.

Paul, do you have more than one Photobucket account?

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a dragon wrasse but I don't have my tank up and ready yet. My hubby and I are waiting for tax check to get all our new equipment for first saltwater tank, so it will be a few months yet til we can put anything in. But you are an inspiration to us and I can only hope we are as successful as you.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an upgraded Photobucket account and I have plenty of more storage. Let me go there and see if it is current.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto...I have never had an issue with current photos, but when I clicked back I couldn't see the older ones that were linked.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had old links broken by R2R software updates before, so it's possible that's happened here. (Not sure if that would change the message from Photobucket or not.)

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on a new SteamPunk Light. I just started it, it's the red fire extinguisher thing. Maybe I will make something I can put in my tank.

I love the one with the blue water. A longer tube like that would be really cool, mood lighting you know [emoji12]

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem seems to be with the older photos Paul. Here is the data on one of them that doesn't show up.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/IMG_0879.jpg

I don't know if it does you any good. :eek:

If you follow the link, Photobucket tells us that you moved or deleted the photo.

OK that is one with me and Christie Brinkley where we were out on a date and Angelina Jolie was arguing with her that she was too old for me. :rolleyes: At least I think that's what it was.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the one with the blue water. A longer tube like that would be really cool, mood lighting you know [emoji12]

I like that one also. I was thinking of building a huge one just like that for outside my house in the spring. I have so many things I want to built so I will probably never get to it especially because that is also "Boat getting ready time" which is a big deal for me. My house is not filled with Steam Punk stuff and I only have one more of them started. I need a few more hours and some parts to finish it.
It will be my smallest and is similar to this one, but cooler.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a stunning tank btw :)

That is also a stunning child.
I have a couple of them but they are Grand stunning children. :D

They just went home after spending a couple of days with us. Today we took them to Chucky Cheese and I am glad I didn't have any torpedoes with me or I would have blown my brains out. :eek:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges, that is the key. A large part of my livestock is sponges. The largest growing thing in my tank is a sponge which covers almost a quarter of my tank along with a few smaller ones. They filter out an enormous amount of particulate matter which I assume is the reason my tank water is clear as gin, a very good gin not one of those supermarket gin's. Many people have gin clear water but I am sure some people use gin instead of water which may be the reason for all the "Getting out of the Hobby threads. But every day I feed clams and yeast. Clams, when you slice them up come with quite a bit of clam juice which is just liquefied clams in minute pieces. I use that to make clam chowder but my tank uses it to feed the gorgonians, some of which are 10 years old. The clam juice also inadvertently feeds the sponges which grow like basketball players. I trim off pieces of them occasionally and give them away because they shade some corals. But the "by product" of sponges, if you have enough of them, is crystal clear water. I doubt sponges will clear cloudiness from sand or washing your underwear in your tank, but I am sure they will remove very tiny, organic matter. Sponges are also very cool and some of them may even like the music you listen to. :D

This orange guy is a sponge.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a dragon wrasse but I don't have my tank up and ready yet. My hubby and I are waiting for tax check to get all our new equipment for first saltwater tank, so it will be a few months yet til we can put anything in. But you are an inspiration to us and I can only hope we are as successful as you.

Cdmckinzie, thank you. I don't know if I am successful or just old. :rolleyes: If you stay at this long enough you will eventually be successful, if there are any more fish left in the sea of course because I killed most of them already.
As for a dragon wrasse, that is a good choice because they are very hardy, but a little destructive as they move stuff around. Most wrasses are kind of easy and some will even spawn. But if you have to wait for your tax return to start a tank I feel buying food may be a better move. :D

I just finished this, it was a quick project to use up some stuff I have and I need to think about it for a while before I finish it. I am not sure what else it will have on it but I designed my next project which I am really excited about. Not as excited as if I grew hair but still excited. The new one is mostly glass and plumbing pipes but something I have never seen before. It came to me last night in a dream. I was dreaming that Christie Brinkley came over to borrow a Steam Pun light, or a cup of amphipods, I forget. :eek:

Last edited:

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post Paul

Many people have gin clear water but I am sure some people use gin instead of water which may be the reason for all the "Getting out of the Hobby threads.

Or vodka? :D

(not saying that this is destructive, but that popped in my head)

Your steampunk stuff is very cool! Thanks for sharing those pics, BTW.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Kevin. :cool:

Slim_Okrug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to share with blessing of mr. Paul in one nice conversation with him few months ago and mr. Paul suggested me i put this on his thread. It is from my POV using nature benefits as much as you can. I hope who ever read this will understand what i wanted to say at least mr. Paul understood it.

"Dear mr. Paul.

Firstly i want to apologize for my english it is not my native language but i will try to say something that you understand. To be honest i didnt heard of you till i joined to R2R maybe year ago. I just want to say when i started my tank ( 1.10.2014 i know it is still young ) in my head i have almost same approach as you do. I am using KISS as you Americans call it as much as i can. For example i am using Adriatic Sea water for my WC and as you know it isnt even near barrier water in terms of macro and micro elements. Also our sea is mainly cold sea. Yea it can get on 27 degrees celsius in summer but most of year it is bearly 15. Why i am saying this cos when i read your thread ( yes i subscribed as soon as i saw tank and oldines in it ) it reminded me so much on my start ( and i didnt know about you or R2R ) and problems with ich in start. I have lost in start alot of fish ( specially acanthurus genom of tangs ) but i have alot of fish survived for example of Parachanturus hepatus which is knows as ich magnet. Why it survived ? Well i fed it with natural clams, squids mixed in blender. Yea i catch that clams and squids so i know it is natural :D.

As you said ( and i must mention one more time i didnt know about you ) when you are not using that pellets and factory made food fish is acting much more different. As you said they are spawning and eat from my hand. One example is my Clarki pair. Friends of me have clarkii and never saw behavior that i have from them in tank. Firstly my female is biggest they ever seen ( big as hippo tang ) and when she chase male ( some kind of game ) she make so much noise with shes jaw like it is cracking the glass. It is fun thing to hear and watch. Then male take some kind of horizontal pozition and shake like electric current is passing his body. Point is i do not use Apex or any fancy staff i do not use medications or QT just natural sea from Adriatic dozing from 3 part dozer, phos remover, skimmer and AU. Thats all. Recently added ( acanthurus genom ) lavander tang and i saw few spots on it . All my fishes didnt have any spot and after 1 day he is clean to and triving. No i dont have cleaner shrip to. What i am thinking it is happening. Tank matured and water colum started acting like nature should. So i complitly understand what are you saying and i am glad that someone is enjoying this hobby for so many years with KISS system as i am planing to do.

Here in Croatia we have comunity not even 0.1 % of USA and maybe it is great thing to not have much money to buy Apex cos i am forced to use my brain and use nature benefits. One more time thx for sharing your expiriance with us and sorry for my eng. :D. Also i just want to say this to you and you dont need to answer me just said what i haved on my heart and brain atm some kind of support for you from me cos i understand what are you saying. At least i think i do :D."

Meaning of this PM was to give support to not such conventional approaches of reef keeping and i got full support of you Paul and appriciated it. It is copy of my 1st PM to someone of R2R community and to have such a nice and polite answer from old keepers as you are keep us to be better in this way of life.

p.s. If someone thinks this is spamming feel free to delete this post.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to share with blessing of mr. Paul in one nice conversation with him few months ago and mr. Paul suggested me i put this on his thread. It is from my POV using nature benefits as much as you can. I hope who ever read this will understand what i wanted to say at least mr. Paul understood it.

"Dear mr. Paul.

Firstly i want to apologize for my english it is not my native language but i will try to say something that you understand. To be honest i didnt heard of you till i joined to R2R maybe year ago. I just want to say when i started my tank ( 1.10.2014 i know it is still young ) in my head i have almost same approach as you do. I am using KISS as you Americans call it as much as i can. For example i am using Adriatic Sea water for my WC and as you know it isnt even near barrier water in terms of macro and micro elements. Also our sea is mainly cold sea. Yea it can get on 27 degrees celsius in summer but most of year it is bearly 15. Why i am saying this cos when i read your thread ( yes i subscribed as soon as i saw tank and oldines in it ) it reminded me so much on my start ( and i didnt know about you or R2R ) and problems with ich in start. I have lost in start alot of fish ( specially acanthurus genom of tangs ) but i have alot of fish survived for example of Parachanturus hepatus which is knows as ich magnet. Why it survived ? Well i fed it with natural clams, squids mixed in blender. Yea i catch that clams and squids so i know it is natural :D.

As you said ( and i must mention one more time i didnt know about you ) when you are not using that pellets and factory made food fish is acting much more different. As you said they are spawning and eat from my hand. One example is my Clarki pair. Friends of me have clarkii and never saw behavior that i have from them in tank. Firstly my female is biggest they ever seen ( big as hippo tang ) and when she chase male ( some kind of game ) she make so much noise with shes jaw like it is cracking the glass. It is fun thing to hear and watch. Then male take some kind of horizontal pozition and shake like electric current is passing his body. Point is i do not use Apex or any fancy staff i do not use medications or QT just natural sea from Adriatic dozing from 3 part dozer, phos remover, skimmer and AU. Thats all. Recently added ( acanthurus genom ) lavander tang and i saw few spots on it . All my fishes didnt have any spot and after 1 day he is clean to and triving. No i dont have cleaner shrip to. What i am thinking it is happening. Tank matured and water colum started acting like nature should. So i complitly understand what are you saying and i am glad that someone is enjoying this hobby for so many years with KISS system as i am planing to do.

Here in Croatia we have comunity not even 0.1 % of USA and maybe it is great thing to not have much money to buy Apex cos i am forced to use my brain and use nature benefits. One more time thx for sharing your expiriance with us and sorry for my eng. :D. Also i just want to say this to you and you dont need to answer me just said what i haved on my heart and brain atm some kind of support for you from me cos i understand what are you saying. At least i think i do :D."

Meaning of this PM was to give support to not such conventional approaches of reef keeping and i got full support of you Paul and appriciated it. It is copy of my 1st PM to someone of R2R community and to have such a nice and polite answer from old keepers as you are keep us to be better in this way of life.

p.s. If someone thinks this is spamming feel free to delete this post.
This is fantastic, thank you for sharing!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back