Tank sizes for tangs: Help us create a list!

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some may disagree with this, but tang size directly proportional to tank size. Sure hippos get big, but mine is in a 4 foot tank, fat and happy, and has been for quite some time. She is maybe 4 inches.
4 inches, and how long have you had him? They grow fast when fed properly and have the proper sized tank to swim in.
My Hippo is 8" and is in an 8' long tank, he is fed every day.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 9 tangs along with a bunch of other fish in a 150g, and for the post above, I feed 3-4 times daily

Last edited:

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 inches, and how long have you had him? They grow fast when fed properly and have the proper sized tank to swim in.
My Hippo is 8" and is in an 8' long tank, he is fed every day.

I feed mine 2-3 times a day and had him for 2 or 3 months. My first hippo spent 22 years in a 75. Lost him in a tank crash. And that was back in the air driven skimmer, under gravel filter days.

Last edited:

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine 2-3 times a day and had him for 2 or 3 months. My first hippo spent 22 years in a 75. Lost him in a tank crash. And that was back in the air driven skimmer, under gravel filter days.

:) for having him in the 75g and :( for the crash :( :(

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sister dumped a bottle of flinstones chewables in the tank. Nuked my 15 gal with a mating pair of mandarins, and the lion tank. All because one fish had ich and she wanted to make them feel better

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sister dumped a bottle of flinstones chewables in the tank. Nuked my 15 gal with a mating pair of mandarins, and the lion tank. All because one fish had ich and she wanted to make them feel better

Lol that's the best I've ever heard

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to just say, bigger is always best. I witnessed that with my Tomini. They are said to be the best for the smaller tanks like the 4 footers.. But man, I moved mine from the 55 gal to the 180gal and he uses the ENTIRE thing. He isnt full grown, shows that size of the fish only matters so much.

nly04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one 5" Darjini sailfin, one 3.5" yellow, one 2.5" yellow eyes Kole tang, 2 chromis, 1 blennie, 1 anthias, 3 damsels and still want to add a Chervon tang to my 120gal DT. They been together for over three month and so far so good.

mikesreef25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 7 1/2 sohal. A 4 " yellow. A 3 1/2" blue and a 5" bristle toothe in a 180 and all get along fine. Also have a mated pair of maroon clowns a mandarin 12 small green chomis a bicolor dottyback and a firefish

Angel730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this thread was very informal for me. I have 125 gallon and 7ft and wasn't sure many tangs I can place in my tank. I'm still going to do a little bit more researching.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this thread was very informal for me. I have 125 gallon and 7ft and wasn't sure many tangs I can place in my tank. I'm still going to do a little bit more researching.

You have a 7' long 125? What is the width and height? Never heard of that size tank (usually 125's are 6' long x 18" wide).

gregcoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs live in a 300 gallon, they average 7-8 years old. I have found over 30 years of keeping surgeonfish that managing stress is the key. That means decent swimming room, holes for sleeping and for escape when chased. All these things, plus good diet reduces stress and that in turn reduces or eliminates disease. This approach is far superior to UV sterilizers and other mechanical/chemical attempts folks make to try and keep tangs healthy.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about that I meant to write 6 ft long.

Ok, as I suspected :) I also have a 6' 125. I have two tangs, a Powder Brown and a Kole. That is where I am stopping, as I don't think there is enough room for any additional.

Jtwax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 9" sail fin, a 5" blue and a 4" yellow eye in my 110. I would recommend at least a 150 gallon. All mine are very happy but probably a bit much for my tank...

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 9" sail fin, a 5" blue and a 4" yellow eye in my 110. I would recommend at least a 150 gallon. All mine are very happy but probably a bit much for my tank...

I would say a 180 would be minimum for that mix. If your 110 is the typical 4' long tank, I would say that the Sailfin has already outgrown it to be honest.

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tangs in my 6' 180g. A 9" Sailfin and a 6" Scopas. I upgraded from a 4' 90g just for my Sailfin. They are both very healthy and stress free; but I feel the Sailfin could use a couple more feet, because he loves to swim.

gregcoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be bittersweet, you have done everything right for your tangs and your reward is they get full grown and healthy, but then you have the realization that that fish you have raised is no longer suited to the tank he's in. If you can, upgrade for more swimming room, or re home him into a more suitable tank and start over with another little one. That's what I would do in order to not risk their lives if they do get stressed if and when they decide they just don't have enough room.

gacolt

JEEP STUFF
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could also add the min and max size the fish will get.might help people understand what there getting into.just my 2cents

Back