Tank sizes for tangs: Help us create a list!

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the same kinda post I got banned from RC for. Jussayin. Someone in this hobby will ALWAYS disagree

Banned for debating about tangs.. Oh boy.

Disagreements are fun. End of the day it's whatever, not to be taken too serious. Most of the time everyone has some valid points.. And everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way of me knowing your personal story and that you own a company. Not really sure why it seems you are getting defensive because I questioned if you have personal experience with the fish mentioned. Still doesn't say much either way on the other hand... I know of a store that has someone maintain their display tanks. Moving on..

Also, you are right, you didn't say "I've seen" you said "I know" I'm sorry. Still was no way for me to know your experience either way with those fish. Could of been anything from looking at the tanks for 5 minutes to actually owning them yourself. Hence why I asked.

And did what exactly with my Achilles? Properly quarantine it and establish the way the tank is run specifically for the Achilles? I believe plenty more people can keep other Achilles with similar care and thought put forth. My Achilles is not hardy by any stretch either... It was close to death at the LFS, so theoretically it should be dead I guess. I am definitely NOT the "one person" who can do it, you are drastically over-exaggerating.

I agree.

Both of my Achilles were properly qt and treated. I've tried a dozen over the years doing "ich management" methods as I have for other tangs and they lived 1-6 months before being eaten alive, unable to keep weight because the parasites suck the nutrients out of them. Same with PBT and other similar acanthurus.

I'm not saying it CANT be done the other way but as an experienced hobbyist who advises many local hobbyists and has personally killed a couple dozen acanthurus tangs trying with only one success over 6 months--- and also an observer of dozens of others that didn't heed my warnings and ultimately suffered the same fate -- trust me please don't make the same mistake.

And even if you have one that right now is OK in an ich management environment and you got immensely lucky please don't suggest that other hobbyists try. Even if it does work long term it's probably not the most ethical way to handle it for a fish with so little slime coat and protection against parasites. Let's not encourage people to kill fish and house them such that they're almost guaranteed to die.

EDIT I am going nuts I think I confused two threads.

Oh well.

I will say both of my Achilles look great and are in 180 gallon tanks. I agree many public aquaria sport fish with unbelievable amounts of hlle.

In a few years when I build a new house I'll have two 10' tanks and my Achilles will be split among them.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the same kinda post I got banned from RC for. Jussayin. Someone in this hobby will ALWAYS disagree
That's why nobody likes RC and so many of us left.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.

Both of my Achilles were properly qt and treated. I've tried a dozen over the years doing "ich management" methods as I have for other tangs and they lived 1-6 months before being eaten alive, unable to keep weight because the parasites suck the nutrients out of them. Same with PBT and other similar acanthurus.

I'm not saying it CANT be done the other way but as an experienced hobbyist who advises many local hobbyists and has personally killed a couple dozen acanthurus tangs trying with only one success over 6 months--- and also an observer of dozens of others that didn't heed my warnings and ultimately suffered the same fate -- trust me please don't make the same mistake.

And even if you have one that right now is OK in an ich management environment and you got immensely lucky please don't suggest that other hobbyists try. Even if it does work long term it's probably not the most ethical way to handle it for a fish with so little slime coat and protection against parasites.

My system is ich free and parasite free. My system was fallow for 11 weeks and all fish treated to prevent ich from ever entering the system. My experience is the same with the powder blue in the same system (not tank) as the Achilles.

I know of people who could never keep multiple Acanthurus despite their effort as well.. Yes, the common trend is ich in the display. I have no doubt that if they went through the same efforts to make sure the fish are healthy that the Acanthurus tangs being discussed will be good. It seems most people want to manage the ich and try and get that "hardy specimen" that can just live with it.

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure why it seems you are getting defensive because I questioned if you have personal experience with the fish mentioned.

You read me wrong - I wasn't defensive. We'll have to agree to disagree, and I'll not comment on what you were insinuating above because that wasn't very nice of you and we're supposedly on the "friendliest reef forums". ;)

dallas reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll also go on to say that I've never qt'd my tangs. Or any of my fish. And it's all been good.

Must be the classical music that I play while I dump them in. [emoji6]

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You read me wrong - I wasn't defensive. We'll have to agree to disagree, and I'll not comment on what you were insinuating above because that wasn't very nice of you and we're supposedly on the "friendliest reef forums". ;)

[emoji38] [emoji39]

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll also go on to say that I've never qt'd my tangs. Or any of my fish. And it's all been good.

Must be the classical music that I play while I dump them in. [emoji6]

I didn't either for a decade. Had little trouble until I decided I wanted to keep regal Angels, moorish idol, acanthurus tangs, and other fragile and/or ornamental species.

dallas reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't either for a decade. Had little trouble until I decided I wanted to keep regal Angels, moorish idol, acanthurus tangs, and other fragile and ornamental species.
I'll also mention that I play on the dark side too often and my luck will catch up with me. I have lost a uni tang and my coveted vamp tang [emoji53] but was from something other than ich. Actually I don't know why.

saltysilverado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss my 75 and 125g. we moved and I had to sell my tanks and all my fish. But now I have a 55g hexagon flat back with a few clowns and I am in the process of cycling my quarantine tank. Anyone think a small blue tang will be okay? I have a flow of 2000gph

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss my 75 and 125g. we moved and I had to sell my tanks and all my fish. But now I have a 55g hexagon flat back with a few clowns and I am in the process of cycling my quarantine tank. Anyone think a small blue tang will be okay? I have a flow of 2000gph
Long term no. I wouldn't do this. In less than a year even a dime sized hippo may well outgrow it. The tang I think can handle the smallest tanks is a yellow. A small yellow grows slowly and often will work for awhile in a smaller tank. A 55 hex is pushing it though...

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I still don't recommend it. These guys grow to 3" very quickly. I've had one in a 54 corner for a year but upgraded her to a 180 at that point. Your choice though.

saltysilverado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just hard to get small yellow tangs right now. I work at the local lfs so I'm not worried if he grows to big I wouldn't make him stressed. I just was hoping to hear what some of you guys have to say. I love reading on here and meeting some awesome people who enjoy saltwater tanks!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back