TDB's 320 SPS Rebuild

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand traps die off , poo , etc etc etc ,.... No sand high flow = filter sock, skimmers , mechanical filter pickup and removal ... Take a cup of sand and smell it ,... That's all the convincing you will need... Take a cup of sand from the ocean ,... No smell.... Smaller ecosystems simple don't have the capacity to deal with waist as the ocean does.... It's relatively contained but power head drop , of shift will blow your sand away and contaminate the tank with nitrates, etc . + 1 on the do over comment .... I have been there...

Second reason complemented the first more flow = better health as you try and keep the solids suspended so the mechanical filter picks it up.... Enefitably you will have pockets where the waist collects,... On the bottom for easy removal.

3rd reason , look at some of the pics of older bare bottoms, encrusting Monties and Zoa make a amazing landscape on bare bottom for them to grow... I have always had an desire to have green star polyps cover the bottom of my tank... Like grass that would look awesome....

Somewhat the same result can be achieved by cleaning the sand bed and having it shallow enough , but the flip side is high flow you could have sand storms...

Just me opinion sure the experts can chime in .... And correct me where I'm wrong....

Ps... Amazing setup ....

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain why having sand in a sps tank is not recommended.

Having Sand is bad in any Tank not just Acro Tanks.

Sand is the DEVIL !!!

1. You have to Clean it (More Work that takes forever).
2. It hinders Flow.
3. Most importantly is traps stuff and leaches out lots of Phosphate.

I will never set up a Tank with Sand again!

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everyone had a great summer. During this time I made three new changes to the system and I think the results have shown in the color.

1. Installed an automated water change system changing 4 gallons a day
2. Put Acro power on dosing pumps 10 ml throughout the day
3. Extended the lighting period Leds 14 hours T5 12 hours and Radiums 8 hours Replaced all of the bulbs in August

Enjoy the pics!

DPP_0040.jpg

DPP_0041.jpg

DPP_0042.jpg

DPP_0043.jpg

DPP_0044.jpg

DPP_0045.jpg

acromike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDB320reef,

Wow amazing colors. Interesting, regarding the lighting schedule. How often do you change bulbs?

acromike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great tdb320

Never seen such beautiful acros

Are these wild colonies or have you grown them out from frags?

acromike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tdb320

I added two 80 watt blue plus bulbs to my led fixtures(currently have 6 fathom LEDs)

The results I have gotten from adding the blue plus t5 bulbs is incredible. I run the t5 for ten hour a day and the LED are on for about 14 hour slowly ramping up to high intensity then declining down

Just curious do you find adding the metal halide adds much to the t5 and led spectrum resulting in better growth or color of the sps?

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a FTS?

KritikaL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could you by any chance share the code that you have for your apex dos?? I'm trying to get mine to autowater change and struggling slightly.

Also what do you do mix 4 gallons of saltwater a day? or do you mix more and leave it airated and heated for say a week?

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Years All. Here are some EOY updates. I ended up pulling my BP reactor a few weeks ago as I noticed a sulfuric smell coming from it. The colonies got real rich! Thinking of leaving it off. Below are today's pictures.

DPP_0406.jpg

DPP_0407.jpg

DPP_0408.jpg

DPP_0409.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 62 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back