The Angel Lovers Thread

Squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well aware of that. Actually found a journal article through my uni that places the angels within centropyge on a phylogenetic tree.

Idk if I can link it, maybe it's somewhere on the free web.

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've successfully housed three dwarfs in an 80, and temporarily (1-2 years) in a 40. I currently have a paracentropyge multifasciate, centropyge potteri, and genicanthus melanospilus in my 80 gallon tank. The two dwarfs are fine together. The swallowtail can be a bully at times.

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current stock list
1-Centropyge shepardi
1-Centropyge potteri
1-Paracentropyge multifasciata
1-Genicanthus semifasciatus ( female)
1-Chaetodontoplus conspicillatus,
1-Pygoplites diacanthus (Red Sea variant)
1-Pomacanthus xanthometopon (juvenile)

How does your shepardi do with the multifasciata and potteri? I was considering adding one (have a multifasciate and potteri currently), but opted out. I'd have to remove the swallowtail if I were to do that. I'm fortunate enough to be about 15 minutes from Reefwise so no shortage of awesome angels!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've successfully housed three dwarfs in an 80, and temporarily (1-2 years) in a 40. I currently have a paracentropyge multifasciate, centropyge potteri, and genicanthus melanospilus in my 80 gallon tank. The two dwarfs are fine together. The swallowtail can be a bully at times.
But how long was either of dwarves able to be established on it's own? The venusta is 3yrs old.

I once tried to add a golden to an established multifasciata in a 60. The multifasciata had only been in the tank a couple of months, and it destroyed the golden.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 year old venustus:

DSCN3824.JPG

DSCN3835.JPG

I am about to try and add a small multicolor to this tank. Anyone else keeping multiple dwarfs in a 40?
I see u have a saddled Toby we twins [HASHTAG]#gottalovepuffers[/HASHTAG]

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At in that system I had the a potters for over a year. I then added a coral beauty and then a few months later a Lamarcks.

On my recent tank they were all added at roughly the same time.

Squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well aware of that. Actually found a journal article through my uni that places the angels within centropyge on a phylogenetic tree.

Idk if I can link it, maybe it's somewhere on the free web.
Nope, couldn't find an open source or whatever you call it.

But how long was either of dwarves able to be established on it's own? The venusta is 3yrs old.

I once tried to add a golden to an established multifasciata in a 60. The multifasciata had only been in the tank a couple of months, and it destroyed the golden.
The venustus has been in 40 for only 6 months, but I don't think that makes much of a difference. Sucks about your golden, were able to separate them?

That puffer is awesome. It's actually a valentini. More people should try tobies.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, couldn't find an open source or whatever you call it.

The venustus has been in 40 for only 6 months, but I don't think that makes much of a difference. Sucks about your golden, were able to separate them?

That puffer is awesome. It's actually a valentini. More people should try tobies.
Valentini puffer other wise known as the saddled Toby or black saddled Toby or saddled sharp nosed puffer...ect so yeah u get the point. Point is I have one as well and he's like a puppy and he's awesome eater and in gratitude to me[emoji6] he leaves my scarlet cleaner alone

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, your said 3 yr old venusta...

The golden wasn't separated until the next day, but it didn't survive it's injuries.

Squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, sorry to hear. Its summer so I've got a lot of time. Now would be the best time to try this.

Ive had the venustus for 3 years, but I've switched tanks 3 times.

blueface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does your shepardi do with the multifasciata and potteri? I was considering adding one (have a multifasciate and potteri currently), but opted out. I'd have to remove the swallowtail if I were to do that. I'm fortunate enough to be about 15 minutes from Reefwise so no shortage of awesome angels!
My tanks is a 220 so there's lots of room & caves to hide in which lessons the aggression. There is some chasing but nothing to worry about. The Multibar pretty much stays hidden in the rock work all day. Shepards is the most aggressive of the three & is always showing his dominance. You are so lucky to live that close to Reef Wise. I've made the 5 hour trip one way there a few times. Just picked up a gold flake & scribbled from them last week.

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have such great fish, did you pick up that tiny Juvi Goldflake? I was eyeing him but my tanks unfortunately too small

Rattooth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 year old venustus:

DSCN3824.JPG

DSCN3835.JPG

I am about to try and add a small multicolor to this tank. Anyone else keeping multiple dwarfs in a 40?
I think bad idea. I have tried two's and three's of different dwarf angels in tanks from 75 gallon to 185 gallon. If not killed in first week , the dominate one will keep the weaker one stressed. So it may live a year or 2, but not as long as it should. Dwarf , with larger angel no problem.
currently in a 185 I have Flame , Bandit , and Black Velvet. They do fine.

Daniel62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Angel enthusiasts, is there anywhere I can find a good read that talks about over angel care, selection and species. My GF is really getting into salt but loves the fish more than the corals. I think down the road i'd like to setup and FOWRL tank with a focus on angels but I don't know much about them.

Any help would be appreciated.
Angelfishes & Butterflyfishes by Scott W. Michael

Squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think bad idea. I have tried two's and three's of different dwarf angels in tanks from 75 gallon to 185 gallon. If not killed in first week , the dominate one will keep the weaker one stressed. So it may live a year or 2, but not as long as it should. Dwarf , with larger angel no problem.
currently in a 185 I have Flame , Bandit , and Black Velvet. They do fine.

What kind of dwarfs were they? If I could find another venustus instead, would that be any better?

Rattooth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a second of same species impossible. You have to have a mated pair , or they fight.
I have tried Flame, Coral Beauty, and Bicolor. Not working. ( A few others , too , I think.)
Really large tanks would help. 300 gallon or bigger. If the dwarf angel is not the dominate fish helps. For example a large Angel , or Zebrasoma Tang. Rearange the tank decor. Or introduce all at same time.
None of which help if you only have one 40 gallon tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back