dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Best Test Kit - A Different Philosophy

1.jpg

So what is the best test kit to check your water parameters? A question often asked and even more often debated. Most have their favorites, are not bashful about sharing, and will argue and stomp their collective keyboards in defense of their choices. The fact is we all have our opinions and reasons for using the test kits we use; and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Although an obvious generalization, a great number of aquarist use different kits for different parameters. Salifert and Red Sea for this and that. Elos and Nyos for that and this. Hanna for the other thing. The point is many mix-and-match different manufacturers tests to come up with the “best”. Some even say they use API tests exclusively (and have really successful reefs by the way) while others say they are simply not accurate at all. Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Not a Discussion on Perfect Parameters​

We all need to know and understand the major parameters in order to achieve the best environment for the inhabitants in our glass boxes. This is not an article intended to determine the perfect parameters, but our own Randy Holmes-Farley outlined the guidelines/recommendations in Optimal Parameters for a Coral Reef Aquarium: By Randy Holmes-Farley as outlined below:

1_zpsb08a1dd7.jpg

2_zps9dda7b81.jpg

So Many Choices

4.jpg

I’m not interested in starting a sand storm by giving my recommendations on what brand(s) of test kits are the best. In fact (and a little hint to the point of this article) I would say what is best for me; is not what’s best for you.

The test kits available to us as hobbyist’s are just that – hobby grade tests kits. Sure there are far more accurate testing mechanisms available but the bottom line is most of us don’t even have fish rooms in our houses, let alone a laboratory full of expensive testing equipment. So beyond the occasional sending a water sample to Germany to have it tested, we’re stuck using the hobby kits available. Once again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

A Different Way of Thinking What’s Best

So what’s the best kit? In my opinion it’s the kit that is easiest for the user to use, regardless of brand. It’s as simple as that. Pick a kit that is the easiest for you to perform and read consistently, test after test after test. Be it counting drops, looking for the slightest color change, comparing a color to a chart, or adding reagents, pushing a button and getting a digital readout – use whatever is the easiest for you to use and read, time and time again.

Once we get our parameters to our desired level (likely somewhere in the ranges Mr. Holmes-Farley outlined above), I feel the most important factor is stability, not the actual number measured. Since we are hobbyist’s using hobby test kits, there is a built in error factor anyway. So if we are within range and within range consistently, does the “exact” number really matter? I think not, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that either as it is simply my opinion.

Let’s face it…water testing is a necessity that is quite honestly a pain in the caudal fin. I’m merely suggesting we stop asking for what is the best test kit “out there” and start looking for the best kits for ourselves. Our goal should be consistency and stability, not a particular number. Okay, yes, the number needs to be within an accepted range but we need to be able to perform a consistent test every time we put water in a little testing vial.

You may already have your “best” kits and find them easy to perform and read. If so, congratulations. But if you’re not comfortable with your current kits or are just getting started, all I’m suggesting is to do a little experimenting. Shoot for ease and consistency over a particular brand. If you are active in a club, I would suggest a test kit meeting. Everyone brings their “best” and you get a chance to experiment with some brands you may not be familiar with. Or talk to your fish buddies and try the kits they use if different from your own.

So let’s think outside the box, or shall I say vial, and aim for stable, consistent parameters for our little eco-system. They are in our care and I can assure you they don’t care about brands. They are looking for the comfort of a stable environment in your house. That is all that matters. And lastly, you may not agree with this philosophy of testing, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Happy Reefing – and testing!!!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job David, This one of the first question I ask when I got back into the hobby

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for this nice article!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is just so much truth to this! It seems like coral can adapt to many different seawater environments as long as we can keep things stable!

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed...great article! I'm guilty of asking for not necessarily best test kit, but what is new and innovative. Clearly the test kits from many years ago were so basic and not very reliable. Most test kits now are at the hobby level but much better and like you said get the job done in an effort to keep our tanks stable. I'm sure in 20 years from now most tanks will have a built in computer with all the appropriate high end sensors to tells us our parameters and what to adjust.....that's what technology does partly...makes our lives easier. Until that happens I'm content with whatever test kits I'm using because at the end of the day I don't want my hobby to be a choir or stress. :)

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vraiment le meilleur article sur le sujet
C'est vraiment bien écrit
Merci pour cet article

Hopefully this works...

Je devais utiliser un traducteur pour comprendre cela, mais je vous remercie beaucoup pour le compliment. Je suis heureux que vous l'ayez apprécié.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the easiest to use people? Looking at buying one actually.

There is no easy answer to that question. I personally have poor eyesight (and yes I have glasses...lol) up close, so it's extremely difficult for me to compare colors to a chart. I prefer a digital readout out when possible. Or a kit that you read a color change. But those are my preferences.

What have you used in the past, if any?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's okay...so API is not on your "best" kit list...lol.
Don't judge me for saying this. I've used the API, for alk testing.:eek::eek: It's by far the easiest to test with, if i'm looking for a round about number. If I notice something off, salifert. You're judging now me aren't you? But no, it's not my "best". :D

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't judge me for saying this. I've used the API, for alk testing.:eek::eek: It's by far the easiest to test with, if i'm looking for a round about number. If I notice something off, salifert. You're judging now me aren't you? But no, it's not my "best". :D

I'm definitely not judging. API is all I used initially. In fact, I continued to use it for ammonia and nitrite right up to the point I stopped testing those two (quite a while ago). So don't you start judging me for not testing those two parameters...lol.:eek:

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up. I use a combination because I don't trust my using a syringe and not reading it right
Thanks

Neil Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use API for Alk and CA, Salifert for Mg. Never had a problem with them. I mostly just test for Alk anymore and SG with a hydrometer. I started using that after reading that refractometers weren't that good on these forums, honestly, I have had more problems with the hydrometer.

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO If some one that has a 6 months old reef doesn't understand this, it's heading for trouble or spending lots of money on test kits...
I find the article interesting (one should be comfortable with choice and search stability...) but I would expected to learn more about how to read the environment to detect deviations.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS recently posted a video comparing Salient, Hanna and Red Sea test kits including cost and ease of use.

Can you post a link...people might like to take a look at that!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back