The Bowser Paly

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, they grow one-two polyps a year AND don't like to be fragged. Next its going to be they don't like being sold for less than $200 either or else they melt. :angel:

hehehehee

Just having a little fun. You have to admit that is pretty funny :tongue:
Yeah, that was friggin Hilarious! made my day Chad!

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, every time this thread gets a post and gets bumped up, I get a pm asking if I have some for sale. Maybe that's why I waited so long to post a pic of mine...

If only I had a nice colony, I could be raking in the cash!!! LOL

With respect for Kray, I have to disagree with the blanket statement that melters are victims of poor propagation. This can certainly be the case, but it is not always so. Armageddons are a classic example of this. You don't have to frag them to melt them. Just look at them funny or say how well they're doing for you, and they melt. "Suicidal"...that's a bit anthropomorphic, but it sometimes seems to fit. There is likely something that was not right for them, but in a tank with 90+ other "high-end" morphs thriving--them being the only ones that decided to go belly-up despite all attempts at saving them--, I would have to suggest that they qualify as touchier. Fragging just gets them even more riled up when they're already fussy. So far my experience with the Bowsers has not shown them to be as fussy as Armageddons or Sopranos, but I have not really tried fragging them either, and I don't intend to for some time. Back-up colonies in different systems have become a standard part of my grow-out procedure for anything valuable (to me).

There have been plenty of times when I have fragged or received frags of certain morphs which were never cut off the rock, but had the rock cut away with them and they were simply seperated from the rest of the mat, and they still proved to be temperamental. This is not often mind you, but it can and does happen. I do not believe by any of the most advanced standards of zoanthid propagation that these were poorly propagated frags. They were nice adult polyps and the mat looked well-healed. Saying a coral "hates" to be fragged is, again, an anthropomorphic statement (I doubt they have an opinion/emotional reaction to being fragged), but it's the way we express that this coral does not do well with being cut away from the colony, and sometimes the colony does not react well to being cut into. As others have said, there is a degree of variability between zoanthid types and some handle it better than others; that's just life.

To the issue of growth; so far mine have been growing at a moderate pace. They are not the slowest growers ever for me, but they are certainly not fast; Blue Agave PE's are the slowest I've ever seen. If you question whether there is intrinsic variability in the growth rate of some palythoas, just get some pink and golds and then get back to me. I've never seen another paly grow so fast...ever. Heck, I'll send you a frag of a few polyps and you can watch them grow daily in front of you, and I'll wait for your call in a month telling me they've overgrown your tank and you hate me now. I started with 2 polyps (of Bowsers) in May I think, and I now have 4 with a small bud forming on the frag with 2 polyps. The other two polyps show no signs of budding and are actually in slightly higher light. Again, it's just natural that there will be some variation in growth rates as they can't all be exactly the same.

5 Color Rainbows vs. Bowsers...for me, the Bowser whoops butt, but people's tastes will vary. 5 Colors are aight, but they don't have the fluorescing bright qualities of CAO/Bowers.

5 Color
5colorrainbows_17767.jpg

Bowser
bowser_19086.jpg

@Sikryd, I did have my CAR's under very intense lighting for several months. They got smaller and more translucent. The colors were very bright, in part due to the reduction in zooxanthellae I would guess, but they didn't become Bowsers. The pic you see of the CAR's is after a few more months back under "normal" lighting. You can see they still possess the yellowish transitional ring between the green and red, but they've never shown orange.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to promote Bowsers, but I do think they are some very nice polyps. If you took the time to look back through my posts, I was a big critic of these polyps when they first came out and downplayed them for some time. I thought they just looked like some crummy CAO's based on the crummy pics I kept seeing of them, but then I saw a few decent pics and was intrigued enough to get some to find out what the talk was all about. I paid just like anybody else to be able to find out, and pleasantly I found they were indeed a very nice paly. Price is out there for sure, IMO, so I don't disagree there, but I don't think you can fairly downplay them as a truly top-end paly. As drainbamage said, they're just that extra bit nicer, and isn't that what we're always looking for?

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, they grow one-two polyps a year AND don't like to be fragged. Next its going to be they don't like being sold for less than $200 either or else they melt. :angel:

hehehehee

Just having a little fun. You have to admit that is pretty funny :tongue:

Sad but true...

That's funny right there.

I

inactive

View Badges
That color rainbow picture is horrible, I'm gonna compare a AMG to a M-series, but I'm gonna primer the BMW first.. haha

*poke*

OP
OP
D

dirt-nasty-510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow so funny how this thread has turned another direction. All I wanted to see is those of you who have the bowser and there pics. But I will have one in the fold soon so as soon as it is in the tank and open I will post pics and get this thread back on track.

Any one else who has these bad boys please post pics

I

inactive

View Badges
Should have titled it: "post pics of your bowser paly" The title that stands seems like a discussion thread for said palythoa, which given the marketing and what not.. has a lot to be said about :)

stryker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran accross a thread about these palys on another forum (SCR). They are apparently slow growers for most but one poster purchased them from AIM on 8/17/2009 and posted photos of growth. He was able to grow 6 polyps in a 9 month period (as of 5/11/2010). We need to stop hyping this polyp. It's nice but not out of this world, IMO.

OP
OP
D

dirt-nasty-510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually it is very nice polyp one of the nicest I have seen but that is just me. I saw them in person and they are apart of my Top 5 polyps.

1. Red Hornet
2. Bowser
3. Utter Chaos
4. Darth Maul
5. Blue Agave

I never meant this to be a hype thread just wanted to see pics of the polyps out there.

jaypainter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran accross a thread about these palys on another forum (SCR). They are apparently slow growers for most but one poster purchased them from AIM on 8/17/2009 and posted photos of growth. He was able to grow 6 polyps in a 9 month period (as of 5/11/2010). We need to stop hyping this polyp. It's nice but not out of this world, IMO.
You are referring to Supamars thread. He is the only person I know that was able to get that growth rate. His buddy and him were the very first 2 to get one and his buddy know only has 2 and Mario had 6. FYI also Mario no longer has them. As for the hype I dont see it. People ask to see the polyp and some lucky people have it to show off. You are more then welcome to get one and join the Bowser gang LOL LOL. I dont see people flaming the threads of said Flamethrower chalice frag for $350, yet the ones that dont have these out of this world complain alot.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ****** I don't have them :D almost bid on a single polyp on fleabay the other night but couldn't see myself paying over $100 for one

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That color rainbow picture is horrible, I'm gonna compare a AMG to a M-series, but I'm gonna primer the BMW first.. haha

*poke*

You're so cute!

Those pics were taken in the same tank under the same T-5 lights (no LED's either). I think both are nice, but you can't make the 5 colors glow orange or have orange on their skirts. How 'bout you take a pic of your 5 Colors next to your Bowsers and show us in your tank.

....I thought that was a decent pic of my 5 Colors...now I'm gonna have to go back and try to do better for you...:cry:

jaypainter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Cesar for the support. Give it a week or two and it will be popping colors again.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back