The DOs and DON’Ts of Quarantine

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Humblefish, Jun 14, 2015.

1. rockstarta78

rockstarta78 Well-Known Member

What would be a good all-around chelated copper? Coppersafe?

2. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

That's what I've always used in the past. Although I'm itching to try Copper Power (another brand of chelated copper.) Been hearing some good things about it.

rockstarta78 likes this.
  3. rockstarta78

As always, thank you @Humblefish. I have an unopened cupramine guess I am returning that.

Humblefish likes this.
  4. DannyB

DannyB Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

What is the best process for keeping your DT quarantine contaminant free when your hands could have been exposed to a potential disease? I know disposable gloves is probably the ideal answer but sometimes water gets higher than the gloves.

5. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

Wash and dry your hands thoroughly in between tanks.

DannyB and Humblefish like this.
  6. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

+1 Also, make sure you do not share anything wet between two tanks you do not wish to cross contaminate. All my QTs have dedicated eye droppers (for water testing), feeding apparatus, etc.

DannyB and melypr1985 like this.
  7. JakeK

JakeK Well-Known Member

Can ruby reef rally be used as a prophylactic dip at a lower concentration for new fish entering QT? Is it advisable?

8. Humblefish

Rally contains acriflavine, and I've found it useful for a couple of things:
    1. To provide temporary relief for marine velvet disease, before the fish is transferred into QT and treated with copper or CP for complete eradication.
    2. Complete eradication of brook if the fish is transferred into a "clean" QT post bath.
    In both instances acriflavine is taking the place of formalin, which accomplishes the same. However, acriflavine is a far gentler chemical than formalin and also contains antibacterial properties formalin does not. So, I see no harm in using it as a prophylactic bath for new fish entering QT to remove "surface" parasites. I typically administer the bath for 45-60 mins at a dosage of 2/3 teaspoon per gallon; aerate heavily and temp control the bath water.

isaacalves likes this.
  9. rockstarta78

10. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

rockstarta78 and Humblefish like this.
  11. rockstarta78

So I am getting a Darwin ocellaris from a breeder who no longer has a reef system per se. He's now strictly into breeding clownfish. Do you guys think I should still quarantine the new fish? The fish would be about an inch when I get it. Since he claims is a sterile environment do you suggest I still wait 6 weeks in QT before putting it in my DT?

12. Jlobes

Jlobes Well-Known Member Partner Member

its really your call, do you wanna risk it? how well can you trust his "sterile" system?

i would still QT.

13. rockstarta78

Lol you are thinking like me. I was leaning towards. QT.

14. melypr1985

The problem is that there are still fish in his system. It only takes one sick one to pass the illness or parasite on to all the others. I'd suggest QT as a priority no matter where they come from.

Jlobes likes this.
  15. rockstarta78

Melypr1985 I have a quick question, since these are juvenile clownfish, can I use Mardel Coppersafe to profelecticly treat them in my QT before putting them in my DT? since this is my first reef tank and I just finished cycling the tank (just did a full water change), I want to make sure I don't introduce any diseases to the DT. I was also going to do one dose of Prazi.

16. melypr1985

Yes you can absolutely treat them with coppersafe. You can also treat with prazipro. In fact, I'd say that's a great thing to do with all new arrivals. (if you are deciding against TTM that is). One thing though, You'll need to run two rounds of Prazi 5-7 days apart with a water change in between.

17. rockstarta78

As always thank you so much for your response.

Actually I don't have space or 2 tanks to do TTM. I'd rather do TTM but sadly that's not an option. That's why I am going coppersafe and prazipro for QT.

BTW Can you use coppersafe on watchman goby? I need to find a list of all fishes that are treatable with coppersafe.

18. melypr1985

Yes you can. You can do coppersafe with most fish... I've seen it done with angels and wrasse both with success, though these people took great care and had extensive experience with copper treatment and fish in general. If plenty of care is taken and the knowledge of what it looks like for a fish to be copper intolerant then you could try it on any fish with scales. It's a good idea to not treat any smooth skinned or scale-less fish like eels with any copper.

rockstarta78 likes this.
  19. saltwater newby

saltwater newby Well-Known Member

I have a 30g and a 5g available for qt
    I much rather use the 5g to save money on water. I was hoping to add 2 clowns this weekend. Will that be ok? Can I use new saltwater from LFS that's been in my sealed bucket for 2 days ? I have microbacter 7 can I use it on the filter sponge??

20. Humblefish

A 5 gal should be fine for two clowns and two clowns only. ;) Keep a very close eye on the ammonia, however.