lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers

Build details are in the second post

I’m starting this thread to track the latest stages of a 30+ year journey. I can’t remember the number of different reef tanks I have kept since the late 80’s when my aunt helped me setup a 29g saltwater tank with damsels a pair of clowns and Condylactis anemones. I remember both MACNAs in Cleveland 2 & 5 I believe and I have partaken in almost every fad over that time. Over all that time I have never had a reef with more than 150 gallons of water volume (15 years of living in an apartment was a big reason). Well me and my wife bought a house 3 years ago and the time has come to built the tank I have dreamed about for decades.

The goals:
- 6+ feet so I can keep larger schools of fish and tangs (I have kept plenty of tangs in smaller tanks but that was all in the past)
- SPS dominant: this tank will be acro colonies and montis. I have never had the space to grow out across the way I have liked. My goal are a few species with huge colonies with accent colonies in between (I have some nice colonies starting in my current system)
- minimum 30” depth so I can aquascape and not have a wall like look.
- it will be the centerpiece of our great room so it needs to look like furniture.

To meet the above goals I am looking at a Planet Aquarium Mega Matrix tank. My initial thoughts are 84” x 30.5” deeps x 25” tall. I’m planning to place the order in the next week or two. I have looked at the 72” and 96” versions and I keep gravitating to the 84” as it seems to be the right length for the depth and height. I’m looking at it sitting on a 36-42” stand with filtration next to it built into a bench with a lift top (I want a large sump so I’m looking at a 72” synergy as well as a couple other brands). There will be a lagoon style tank on the far side of the bench so I can display my large mangrove upstairs. I like my lights high above the water so I’m most likely going with Orpheks (I have atlantiks on my current tank and my try the OR3’s and OSIX controller).

Here are some pictures of the spot it will go with a frame the size of the tank so I can decide on the exact size. The large terrarium will be moved to the other side of the fireplace and the short wall will be removed.

42” high
IMG_1160.jpeg

36” high
IMG_1162.jpeg

The full tank 7’ size sitting in front of the spot
IMG_1156.jpeg

I have both 6’ and 7’ marked and the table is 8’ for reference.

The cabinets will be floor to ceiling and I’ll be building them myself. I found this picture which is close to the look I’m going for except it will go to the ceiling. The idea is to ensure no extra light spill since it is right next to the TV
IMG_1145.jpeg

Thanks for coming along for the ride as I plan this out then install it. If anyone has suggestions and tips please post them. While this may be my first large reef build a year ago I built a 4000g walk in vivarium that is fully automated so I am use to the complexities of larger projects.

IMG_1078.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build Details

Tank
: 310g GlassCages 96x30x25tall, front and 1 side low iron glass, synergy ghost overflow on the other short side. 4 holes drilled for closed loops. White trim with low iron glass eurobracing.

Stand: 80/20 t-slot stand wrapped so it blends into the room and looks built in
Tank in Livingroom #1.jpeg

Lighting: Orphek (I like the high mounting height 16”+) currently planning 8 48” OR4 bars with an Osix and 2 dimmer blocks. Once I see how I like them I will either add 6 more OR bars or 3 ICONs based on the par and spread I feel I need.

Sump: I want a large 60” or 72” I may have one custom made from a LFS or possibly splurge on a synergy. The sump will be built into a bench next to the tank with access from the top so splurging on a fancy looking sump would be wasted.

Skimmer: Aquamaxx Cones CO-5

Calcium & Alk: Aquamaxx Ctech T-3 calcium reactor with a Kamoer FX-STP feed, Kalk reactor (possibly an Avast K2, I love my K1)

Return Pump: COR-15 through manifold and COR-20 directly back to the tank

In Tank Flow: maxspect cloud 350 x2 controlled by Hydros wave engine, dual vectra L2 closed loops.

Controller: testing the Hydros system currently (I have a full apex system with trident on my current tank) it will have automated all testing at a minimum

Hardscape: 100 pounds of old Fiji and Tonga rock (I had it from old builds) 80 pounds of Marco rock (will probably add a bit more), 15-20 pounds of live rock

Last edited:
OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure I will order the tank this weekend. After staring at the outline of the tank for a week I’m sure the 7’ option is the way I want to go.

IMG_1190.jpeg

I have set up a small medicated quarantine tank for some proactive ich treatment
IMG_1186.jpeg

I also set up a temporary tank for the quarantined fish while I setup the main display this will probably stay for a while as an observational stop before going into the main tank.
IMG_1189.jpeg

I also decided the new tank will have some controller redundancy. I have a ton of apex gear but I like backups so I’m trying out a Hydros controller for the first time. Figured for the price it will be useful as a co troller on smaller tanks if I don’t like it as a full fledge co troller for the new system. I’ll try GHL next if it doesn’t fit my style.
IMG_1188.jpeg

Well that’s it for now, going to order a tank and get some fish tomorrow so wish me luck.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started the order process.

Tank specs I’m considering (I’m getting prices on a 7’ and 8’ version)

Manufacturer: planet Aquarium mega matrix
Dimentions: 30” wide x 25” tall (7’ or 8’ long)
Gallons: 270 or 310
Glass: low iron on the viewing panes (front and right side)
Overflow: preferably external on the side (this is for accessibility as I don’t want an external in the middle of the back. The other option is to the side of the back where the side viewing panel will be. Thank is in a corner so front and right side are accessible)
Silicone: black
Trim: it will have black trim and top braces
Background: considered black glass but my LFS told me abs sheet will work as well.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LFS told me abs sheet will work as well.
It will. But if not easily accessible the risk of salt creep and drips streaking it is real.

If easily accessible then you can remove and clean.

My previous tank had black plastic panels on the back but there was a room behind the tank so I could just pop them off and clean them from time to time. They were attached with magnets.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will. But if not easily accessible the risk of salt creep and drips streaking it is real.

If easily accessible then you can remove and clean.

My previous tank had black plastic panels on the back but there was a room behind the tank so I could just pop them off and clean them from time to time. They were attached with magnets.
The idea for this is that it would be on the inside not on the outside of the tank.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it’s a sprawling ranch so it has a lot of cool character. It has allowed me to finally build some of the things I was never able to do while living in apartments in a larger city. Now I have a walk in vivarium, a garden railroad that wraps around the house, a full woodworking shop and soon a huge display tank.
Following … love your house!

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually ok with the back encrust g with coralline. Might be hard ti remove as I want it to be a solid piece
Less likely for creep then. .
I like the back of my tank clean. If it were me I would try to make it so I could pull it out and clean it from time to time.

420reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you didn’t already order the tank check out Innovative Marine they have a GREAT sale going on right now.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m actually ok with the back encrust g with coralline. Might be hard ti remove as I want it to be a solid piec
If you're okay with that,
then spray painting The back is easier. It takes up zero room and is cheaper. Just mask the area and hold the can a foot away so it doesn't drip as you spray.

What would be the advantage of using a black acrylic sheet?

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know its not the exact size you are looking for but I have a brand new Planet tank for sale. I'm in Pittsburgh.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately that is too tall for my taste and I really want the 30” depth
I know it’s not the exact size you are looking for but I have a brand new Planet tank for sale. I'm in Pittsburgh.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playing around with some scape ideas. I those the idea of two separate structures running parallel to each other forming ridges in the tank. Since this will be an sps dominant tank the structures will only be 12” high at the tallest point to allow a rotors to grow towards the surface. I like the idea of a long negative space with coral flanking both sides plus I feel it will give fish more exciting places to swim. I’ll probably have small islands of rock for some Zoas and other more invasive coral. What does everyone thing. Does anyone have an acuascape like this.
IMG_1257.jpeg
IMG_1258.jpeg

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided with BRS selling Aquamaxx products for 50% to get a calcium reactor and skimmer for the new tank. Went with the T-3 calcium reactor and CO-5 skimmer. Still deciding what lights I want to go with and what sump. I’m actually considering a 75g tank with a baffle for the return section. The main reason is the fact I plan on the sump being next to the tank and enclosed with access from the top. Really won’t get to enjoy a high end custom sump if I do this so why pay for it lol. I may change my mind 10 times before everything get wet lol.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1336.jpeg

I don’t have the tank yet but I have a big calcium reactor and skimmer ready for the tank. Finally got a use for my CO2 setup I had when I kept high tech planted tanks.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I may go a different route with the tank. I have been chatting g with Joe at glasscages and they have a nice option with low iron eurobracing and white trim that will looks really nice with the stand I’m planning and the low iron eurobracing will ensure maximum light transfer to the tank.

Dimentions: 96x30x24
Glass: low iron from and 1 side
Overflow: synergy ghost on short end
Water flow: two closed loops pulling from the short side and returning through the bottom on each end.
Stand: I’m going to design and built it out of 80/20

I mocked up the tank and stand.
Tank in Livingroom #1.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back