OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to figure out which Doser to purchase. I currently have an Apex, but I'm starting to lean towards the GHL doser. I thinking that my apex is becoming a brick under the stand that only controls my heater and monitors PH. It no longer controls my AI HD 52's, or my skimmer.

So a stand alone Doser is starting to make sense.

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few pictures from above. My two reefs.

IMG_4014.JPG
IMG_4015.JPG
IMG_4016.JPG
IMG_4017.JPG
IMG_4018.JPG

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the new temps in our area I can no longer go nakid without a chiller. So I found a Aqua Euro Apex on Petco for $100 less than Marin Depot. So I was happy to save a bit on the 1/4 hp.
The day I went to buy this some one local sold me theirs for $200. It's rock solid.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to figure out which Doser to purchase. I currently have an Apex, but I'm starting to lean towards the GHL doser. I thinking that my apex is becoming a brick under the stand that only controls my heater and monitors PH. It no longer controls my AI HD 52's, or my skimmer.

So a stand alone Doser is starting to make sense.

I just got my GHL Doser2 yesterday. Do it you won't regret it. I think premium aquatics is having a sale on them. I ordered mine directly from GHL and they are on sale there too. The do have the doser 2.1 also which is the newest model.

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh hey, the skimmer.
It's the Reef Octopus Elite 150-sss. It's been the nightmare.
The cone has cracked in four places around the neck. The DC motor has a mind of its own. It speeds up and slowes down to its set speed every two minutes. Support has lacked, but yesterday they decided to send a new cone and think that will cure the DC pump problem. Ha Ha.

Because of this, it's ability to remove junk is just not happening.

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my GHL Doser2 yesterday. Do it you won't regret it. I think premium aquatics is having a sale on them. I ordered mine directly from GHL and they are on sale there too. The do have the doser 2.1 also which is the newest model.
Yea, if I get it it will be the 2.1.
You know, my Apex even though it does not control much in my tank anymore, it's been that one piece of equipment that has not let me down. That makes it very hard to part with and the main reasons I still consider the DOS. That reliability seems hard to come by.

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent AquaCave a request to keep my order on the GHL after canceling it, but I guess they don't care to because I have not heard back from them. It's little things like that which can capture a customer for life or just simply push them away to the next vendor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So maybe I can solicit some ideas from you all.
I purchased the trigger systems cube sump. The problem, it only has one drain input. I have three drains because I run beananimal.
So with out plumbing the other two drain pipes to the other openings that will house the skimmer and the return pump, what do you think I can do? Probably not much.

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I'm working with.
My initial thoughts are to make a new plate to cover the existing hole and re drill two more along side the existing. Then secure the plate with 4 plastic screws.

Thoughts?
IMG_4020.JPG
IMG_4021.JPG

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I was going with my thoughts. Probably not the best but I just can't figure out another solution. The white would be my template to cut a piece of white acrylic. Maybe double it up so that I use 2 quarter inch peices??
IMG_4022.JPG
IMG_4023.JPG
IMG_4024.JPG
IMG_4025.JPG

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, my second thought is to open up their hole large enough so that I can slip my hand into that chamber. This will also allow me to clean it when it gets gunked up. Currently there is no way to clean out that chamber. Then I will create a. Ew top plate and secure it with plastic screws and align the new holes as below. Just not a lot of room to work with.
IMG_4026.JPG
IMG_4027.JPG
IMG_4028.JPG

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need the full siphon and trickle lines to run into that section. The emergency drain should be dry all the time and in a chamber by itself so that in the case of an emergency you can hear it. You could possibly connect you full and trickle lines into one line if it were big enough to handle the volume. I think your idea is a good one but I would only die two lines in your mod and the emergency in a different chamber.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read through your entire thread, great job. I really enjoy that minimalist look you have as well. Congrats on the promotion as well.

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need the full siphon and trickle lines to run into that section. The emergency drain should be dry all the time and in a chamber by itself so that in the case of an emergency you can hear it. You could possibly connect you full and trickle lines into one line if it were big enough to handle the volume. I think your idea is a good one but I would only die two lines in your mod and the emergency in a different chamber.
Exactly another thought I had. But I think if I terminate the emergency way before the water line, I'll hear it.

So I did both, one with two and the other plate with 3. I'll post pics when I get back home. Pizza run :)

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these are the plates. If I can find a place to run the emergency line other that in the drain section I use the plate with 2 drains otherwise I'll use the one with three.
IMG_4034.JPG
IMG_4035.JPG
IMG_4036.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep the updates coming!

Back