The people at the lfs screwed me and my clowns :(

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im planning on feeding them every other day (rn just with some pellet samples the guy at lfs gave me). When I was at the lfs today I had no clue what frozen food to get and there was no one helping around at the time so I just left with the bacteria and prime I bought. How often do you think the filter floss should be replaced? Also did you replace the current rock things in the filter with chemi pure?

Frozen mysis is good. - when I got the bag of chemi pure in the mail I just rinsed it out in my shower under some water until there was no excess residue coming out of it. Not jet power pressure and not too little either, you don't want to blow it to pieces lol, the more you move it in your hand the more will come out so don't crush or squeeze, after rinsing I just put the bag in my filter and that's it. Just waiting for the 3 month mark to toss it and get a new one

OP
OP
R

Riley Pasha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen mysis is good. - when I got the bag of chemi pure in the mail I just rinsed it out in my shower under some water until there was no excess residue coming out of it. Not jet power pressure and not too little either, you don't want to blow it to pieces lol, the more you move it in your hand the more will come out so don't crush or squeeze, after rinsing I just put the bag in my filter and that's it. Just waiting for the 3 month mark to toss it and get a new one

was the chemi pure the stuff that came in ur filter or did u replace the one that was already in there? And your referring to the 3 month mark to replace the filter floss

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was the chemi pure the stuff that came in ur filter or did u replace the one that was already in there? And your referring to the 3 month mark to replace the filter floss

Chemi pure elite - read up on it. Really good stuff.

Bought it separately - the filter came with sponge and filter floss already but not the chemi pure.

SBlisters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention the low pH....definitely do a water change and see if that test result changes.

Maybe test some tap water or fresh mixed seawater (see below) to see if you get a sane result from that.

What's the tank temperature?
Do you run a skimmer as well as a pump for in-tank water cirulation?
What size is this tank again?

Unless you water is very very cold – like being stored in a garage in Minnesota in winter – heating your mix water isn't necessary.

And unless you're mixing you water up with chopsticks, it should take as little as five minutes to make water ready for use. ;)

I made some quick videos a while back on "Mixing saltwater correctly in only 5 minutes using electricity or only using a mixing paddle." just to show it being done. :)

I'm new to the salt hobby (only a couple of months in) but I have only mixed my water one way, and my salinity is stable at 1.025 in my tank. This took time, because I initally started too low and had to slowly increase it, but ever since then, it's been great. This is per a Refractometer that is calibrated with ro/di water. All I do is slowly add salt to my jug of water and vigorously shake it by hand. Then I label it as salt and set it aside until it's time to add it to the sump. No heat, no stirring, nothing. I was really surprised to see notes about how to mix. I had no idea there were so many different methods!

20161204_223633.jpg

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ammonia was over the line significantly though. I still would test again sheet the water change. :)

The test results will always be over the line once you add,10 drops of both bottles. Unless I've been doing it completely wrong. Fill the tube to the 5ml line then add 10 drops from each bottle. Remember to shake bottle 2 for about 30 sec and let the solution sit for 5 min to get proper reading is what I've understood from the directions. I'm still very new to this also (4 months) so if I am giving wrong advice someone please correct me.

OP
OP
R

Riley Pasha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the salt hobby (only a couple of months in) but I have only mixed my water one way, and my salinity is stable at 1.025 in my tank. This took time, because I initally started too low and had to slowly increase it, but ever since then, it's been great. This is per a Refractometer that is calibrated with ro/di water. All I do is slowly add salt to my jug of water and vigorously shake it by hand. Then I label it as salt and set it aside until it's time to add it to the sump. No heat, no stirring, nothing. I was really surprised to see notes about how to mix. I had no idea there were so many different methods!

20161204_223633.jpg

Your setup looks so nice with all the color man, thats my dream fr. I also want to use a sump but I still feel I don't know enough about how to set them up etc..

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how should I properly clean the filter without getting rid of bacteria btw?
Cleaning the filter will get rid of the bacteria in the filter; no way around that. The filter's job, however, is to capture the gunk in your tank. By removing the gunk before it can break down, the need for the bacteria lessens (the bacteria's job being to break down the stuff that the gunk turns into when it breaks down). As you can tell, I'm highly scientific here - "gunk" and "stuff". Basically; the filter's purpose is to remove the problematic stuff before it can become a problem. Which means that cleaning the filters is factors times more efficient than the bacteria you are loosing would result in. Eg; the juice is worth the squeeze - clean 'dem filters.

Also for the powerhead is using a toothbrush on the outside of it enough?
Depends on how much is on there...
For myself, I leave my powerheads in the tank until they get a good solid coating of coralline algae (the light-purple/pink stuff) - which generally means I can hear them whine a bit when running - then I pull them out and soak them overnight in a 50/50 vinegar/water bath, scrub them, air dry them for 24hrs+, and then put them back in. I have two powerheads and only do one at a time. This process works for me and means that I spend less time taking things in and out of the tank (as I would do for a more frequent cleaning). It's important to take care of the tank, but it's also (from what I can determine) a good idea to create as stable an environment as possible within the glass walls. I'm not overly careful about where my hands/arms have been when I reach in the tank, so for me that means not putting my hands/arms inside the tank. I'd buy some reefing gloves, but I think that would just encourage me to put my arms in the tank more often...

OP
OP
R

Riley Pasha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning the filter will get rid of the bacteria in the filter; no way around that. The filter's job, however, is to capture the gunk in your tank. By removing the gunk before it can break down, the need for the bacteria lessens (the bacteria's job being to break down the stuff that the gunk turns into when it breaks down). As you can tell, I'm highly scientific here - "gunk" and "stuff". Basically; the filter's purpose is to remove the problematic stuff before it can become a problem. Which means that cleaning the filters is factors times more efficient than the bacteria you are loosing would result in. Eg; the juice is worth the squeeze - clean 'dem filters.

Depends on how much is on there...
For myself, I leave my powerheads in the tank until they get a good solid coating of coralline algae (the light-purple/pink stuff) - which generally means I can hear them whine a bit when running - then I pull them out and soak them overnight in a 50/50 vinegar/water bath, scrub them, air dry them for 24hrs+, and then put them back in. I have two powerheads and only do one at a time. This process works for me and means that I spend less time taking things in and out of the tank (as I would do for a more frequent cleaning). It's important to take care of the tank, but it's also (from what I can determine) a good idea to create as stable an environment as possible within the glass walls. I'm not overly careful about where my hands/arms have been when I reach in the tank, so for me that means not putting my hands/arms inside the tank. I'd buy some reefing gloves, but I think that would just encourage me to put my arms in the tank more often...

hmm, not sure how I am gonna do an extensive clean of my power head like you do since I only have one lol.

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately all I have is tap + conditioner, no RODI :/. I am going to attempt to fix my RO unit this weekend but besides that I can't really afford to buy an RO/DI unit rn.

Should I still use conditioner with RO water (not DI) or is it fine?
There are inexpensive units for sale on ebay. they are not the best, but will get the job done for you until you can upgrade. Once you have a unit, the quality comes from the filters you buy to replace the ones that are in it. This is an area where you really cannot afford to skimp. The quality of the water that goes in your tank will dictate the success you have in the future, not just with keeping fish alive, but with keeping nuisance algae down and keeping the tank looking "attractive". If you continue to place tap water in the tank, you will eventually spend more money on trying to control the bad stuff that will grow in your tank. Then you will get frustrated and will not be enjoying the hobby. Then you will tear the tank down and move on to another hobby that is more enjoyable.

Trash in .............. trash out.

You said you wanted good information. You will get it on here, no sugar coating allowed. :)

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I so hope Simon and Garfunkel make it through :(.

Not trying to be a know it all, Might want to change the larger of the two to a female name, just FYI. More than likely if he/she is not female already, it will be eventually....

OP
OP
R

Riley Pasha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I so hope Simon and Garfunkel make it through :(.

Not trying to be a know it all, Might want to change the larger of the two to a female name, just FYI. More than likely if he/she is not female already, it will be eventually....
Lol ya my friend told me the same this morning (Suggestion: Simone). They seem to be moving around a lot more and "gasping" for air much less. I got my temp down to 80 degrees and pH to a regular 8. I am facing some nitrate levels for sure though and possibly like 0.25 ammonia.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome news!

BTW, I always thought it should have been Simone and Garfunkle anyway, so this is just karma! ;)

Nitrates are nothing to worry about for fish, so forget that. :) (Something not to worry about! Yay!)

Keep ammonia at zero – there is no acceptable level. You might need more (or just more frequent) Stress Coat and or more water changes.

You might need a bigger bottle of Stress Coat.

OP
OP
R

Riley Pasha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome news!

BTW, I always thought it should have been Simone and Garfunkle anyway, so this is just karma! ;)

Nitrates are nothing to worry about for fish, so forget that. :) (Something not to worry about! Yay!)

Keep ammonia at zero – there is no acceptable level. You might need more (or just more frequent) Stress Coat and or more water changes.

You might need a bigger bottle of Stress Coat.

Ok. I'll add some more stress coat when I get home and prep another water change. Btw I just heard that there is a place near me (20 mins) that has a fountain which has perfect water for aquariums (assuming RO/DI with 1.025). It is a big facility dedicated to oceanalogy known as Scripps. I'm thinking about buying a DTS and heading over with a big (unused) trash can to fill some up, check all the levels in it and gravity and see if this actually works!! If so I can have free RO/DI and don't have to buy a unit :D. Defiantly visiting there over the weekend.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I'll add some more stress coat when I get home and prep another water change. Btw I just heard that there is a place near me (20 mins) that has a fountain which has perfect water for aquariums (assuming RO/DI with 1.025). It is a big facility dedicated to oceanalogy known as Scripps. I'm thinking about buying a DTS and heading over with a big (unused) trash can to fill some up, check all the levels in it and gravity and see if this actually works!! If so I can have free RO/DI and don't have to buy a unit :D. Defiantly visiting there over the weekend.

@saltyfilmfolks can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that is actually natural sea water that has been filtered. I think that is part of the water system that Birch Aquarium uses.

We were out there for MACNA last September. Spent time at the tide pools at La Jolla and they were awesome. Definitely wanting to go back sometime soon :)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back