The Reef Nook, Fish Room, Fish Cave.. etc - Tips and Suggestions (You Post Here Too!)

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we've seen some fantastic Reef Nooks in many reefers' homes. A lot of us dream the day where we can have that pleasure, a place for all of our fish stuff that our loved ones can complain about, and our little ones can't access.

Maybe you're one of the lucky ones where your wish is coming to fruition... but what should you keep in mind, is there a what to do/not to do when creating this Reef Nook of awesomeness?

Every reefer is unique and therefore has unique needs. An example would even include yours truly. I have a sumpless 40Br, yet still wanted a Reef Nook for my electronics and storage of aquarium materials.

P1010098Medium.jpg

P1010117Medium.jpg

P1010118Medium.jpg

P1010108Medium.jpg

My Reef Nook requires far less thought than most reefers, but even I hadn't thought of everything when creating this space for my tank's stuff. Here's my list of stuff that I think is pertinent:

- It makes life so much easier to drill a hole into the wall directly behind the tank for the wires to pass through. It also keeps it clean and is the shortest distance between the tank and the room... which means a lot less wire to need.

- Because the hole is near the tank, I stuck a piece of PVC pipe to fit the hole and pass the wires though. This prevents moisture from entering the insulation of the walls, or the wires damaging the wall via drag. To keep up appearances put a border on both sides of the hole.

- I keep anything that needs to be turned off regularly under the aquarium (This especially helps for water changes). I flick of the switch turns off the appropriate machinery and it prevents the need to run around the corner and into the Reef Nook to turn off other things. I am lazy but at the same time I won't ever forget to turn on the machinery if it were located in the Reef Nook.

- Keeping up with a nice appearance makes most reefers work harder on all things aquarium-related. I'm OCD and my tank is smaller so it's not considered work for me to keep everything clean and organized, but let's be honest.. this hobby quickly makes us get disorganized easily. Between maintenance, emergencies, or the sheer amount of things we keep for our aquariums it's a wonder how people can keep the Reef Nook looking like a science lab. It's so much easier to just keep the door closed and hide our mess, but keeping your Nook clean and organized will make your life so much easier in the end!

- While not so with all of us, I like to keep my monitors and other gadgets hidden in a nice cabinet. It hides all the crazy wires without a lot of work. It also makes the Reef Nook prettier (Again IMO). If you have little ones, especially sneaky ones, it keeps pullable wires out of sight. Something I recently realized.. it also helps loved ones (Unfamiliar with reef equipment) get a handle of it. It's not perfect, but we all know in emergencies every little bit helps.

- If you want to easily section off a part of the Reef Nook, without it being permanent, use curtains. My curtain separates the maintenance stuff for the aquarium from everything else. It keeps the Reef Nook looking pretty crisp in terms of appearance. Again for the little ones, it makes the room look unappealing to them (Since they can't find the "goodies" should they get in. They'll get bored and look elsewhere.

Please add to this fellow Reef Nookers! :smile:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look's great and next year when i get into a permanent home one that is mine "renting" i will have just this..... i wanna nice big 700 to 1000 gal tank sitting in the garage with a hole blown out to the house it will awesome!!!!!! keep up the great work and keep the pics coming...;)

Back