The Shadow™ Overflow from Synergy Reef has arrived!

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should both of the u pipes have holes in the top? im assuming the set up is one to be full siphon and the other to be the open channel?

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should both of the u pipes have holes in the top? im assuming the set up is one to be full siphon and the other to be the open channel?

Yes. They both need holes in them to function properly with our modified plumbing design. We have tested this for over 4 years and have found that it with our overflow systems having holes in both works the best.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am spending the day ultrasonic welding up u pipes!
1480800922399.jpg
I just got really jealous.

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received mine today and looks awesome!! Probably drilling within the week or so. Also received the 1 1/2" gate valve from brs and this thing is MASSIVE!!

They both need holes in them to function properly with our modified plumbing design.

Do I need to drill a hole at the top of each U pipe??

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I plan on attaching the 1.5" gate valve right about my bulkhead on my Synergy sump (Atomic green SS-34, baby!!). I will glue it in a vertical manner so the weight will be on the bulkhead in the sump and not near the Ghost bulkhead. Anything wrong with this idea? I've heard that the gate valve should be close to the overhead bulkhead but I don't see why this would matter. Any reasons why I shouldn't place my gate valve right above my sump? Thanks again, Rick!

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the box sit low enough when installed per template for these new clear view screen tops to fit above?

Reefercorey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine today. This thing is AWESOME! One question though, what are the 2 trapezoidal shaped pieces that came taped to the inside of the overflow box?

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large of a hole should we drill on the U pipe?

No need to drill a hole. They come with the hole already in them.

I plan on attaching the 1.5" gate valve right about my bulkhead on my Synergy sump (Atomic green SS-34, baby!!). I will glue it in a vertical manner so the weight will be on the bulkhead in the sump and not near the Ghost bulkhead. Anything wrong with this idea? I've heard that the gate valve should be close to the overhead bulkhead but I don't see why this would matter. Any reasons why I shouldn't place my gate valve right above my sump? Thanks again, Rick!

That will work fine. Either way will work.

Does the box sit low enough when installed per template for these new clear view screen tops to fit above?

I have never used one of the screens, so I can't say yes or no. I can say that they will sit under the top rim of a rimmed tank so the glass covers that come with some of the tanks do clear with no issues.

I got mine today. This thing is AWESOME! One question though, what are the 2 trapezoidal shaped pieces that came taped to the inside of the overflow box?

Awesome! I am glad you asked about those pieces. We have added those so that you can remove the front weir. They are like keys per say. If you watch this video you will see where I use a piece of plastic to pop off the weir. This is what they are used for.

Reefercorey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I plan on reducing the plumbing to a 1" size can I insert the reducer bushing directly into the overflow box or would I have to add a couple inches of 1.5" pvc between the two?

I ask because I got reducer 1.5 x 1" bushings and the 1" pvc inserts directly into one end and I figured the 1.5" would simply slide over the other end. Turns out the other end of the bushing is actually just 1.5" pvc so I would need a coupling to attach it to another section of pvc. Hopefully this makes sense

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I plan on reducing the plumbing to a 1" size can I insert the reducer bushing directly into the overflow box or would I have to add a couple inches of 1.5" pvc between the two?

I ask because I got reducer 1.5 x 1" bushings and the 1" pvc inserts directly into one end and I figured the 1.5" would simply slide over the other end. Turns out the other end of the bushing is actually just 1.5" pvc so I would need a coupling to attach it to another section of pvc. Hopefully this makes sense

Either way will work. If you glue the reducer into the overflow, then it will permanently be 1". If you use a short piece of 1.5" PVC then use a coupling or a 1.5" union, you could always swap it out later if you wanted to upgrade to 1.5" Make sense?

Reefercorey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense, thank you! I am pretty sure I won't ever need more than 1" but never know so I think I will go 1.5" then the reducer. Thanks again

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shadows are in stock and ready to ship @bulkreefsupply. Local retailers are also stocking up. Ask your local retailers about these and we can get them in stock locally for you as well.

fIC0GHEl.jpg

Last edited:

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 150 gal DT would you do a reducer to 1" over flow and then 3/4 return?

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a custom 130g built with 2 1" returns to reach the full 1300-1500g of turnover. I don't think you can pump that much through 3/4

Good call. I'll do 1" returns and keep the 1.5" overflow.

I'm having mine built as well and I'm trying to tell them where to drill the holes. How did you tell them?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back