The Shadow™ Overflow from Synergy Reef has arrived!

Abusfullofnuns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine arrived today. Have some things to do before I can get to the install. I look forward to others receiving and installing the kit. I won't be the first, but it won't be too long from now.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another pallet heading out today! We are hoping to have all pre orders shipped by next Tuesday.
1480696494113.jpg

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rick, do you recommend using unions right below the three bulkheads on the rear? What would be the best type of plumbing if your going from the shadow to a Synergy sump?

Last edited:

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick, do you recommend using unions right below the three bulkheads on the rear? What would be the best type of plumbing if your going from the shadow to a Synergy sump?
Yes, we recommend that you use 3 unions. That way you can easily remove it if you ever need to. Also make sure that all the plumbing is secured and not hanging below the box. The weight of the plumbing and water can cause the box to be pulled down and could cause the gaskets in between the rear box and tank to leak over time.

Hard plumb it right to the Synergy sump. This can help relieve the strain on the plumbing if it's done right.

Reefercorey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is kind of a stupid question, this is my first time plumbing a tank to a sump... so for the shadow overflow it is a 1.5" slip fitting? So in order to install unions just below the box I would need 3 small pieces of pvc, cement them into the overflow and cement the over side of the pvc to the union (assuming i also use a slip union)?

Let me know if i have this right. I have been digging pretty deep into sump plumbing stuff but i think until I actually do it myself I will be a bit confused. Also, do you have any example pictures of it installed?

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is kind of a stupid question, this is my first time plumbing a tank to a sump... so for the shadow overflow it is a 1.5" slip fitting? So in order to install unions just below the box I would need 3 small pieces of pvc, cement them into the overflow and cement the over side of the pvc to the union (assuming i also use a slip union)?

Let me know if i have this right. I have been digging pretty deep into sump plumbing stuff but i think until I actually do it myself I will be a bit confused. Also, do you have any example pictures of it installed?

That is actually a really good question. Yes you are correct. We use 3 pieces about 10" or so and then slip those inside the slip fittings on the overflow. Then slip the union onto the other end. Let me see what I can find for photos.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of the inside rear box plumbing. This is how we run them. The pipe sizes may need to be modified slightly, depending on flow rates of your particular systems.

oT6GXnVl.jpg

l04aIHvl.jpg

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Also make sure that all the plumbing is secured and not hanging below the box. The weight of the plumbing and water can cause the box to be pulled down and could cause the gaskets in between the rear box and tank to leak over time."

Noob here, so sorry if this is a dumb question. My overflow should arrive on 12/7, yippee!.

Secure the plumbing to the stand , for example? Anybody have any suggestions on the best way to secure hard plumbing?

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got mine.... wow worth the wait !!

Couple of questions can I run my emergency drain on the right most part to be in line with the sumps nice emergency drain in the skimmer area ? And both my elbows have holes in them, I though one was supposed to be sealed ?

Reefercorey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Couple of questions can I run my emergency drain on the right most part to be in line with the sumps nice emergency drain in the skimmer area ? And both my elbows have holes in them, I though one was supposed to be sealed ?

I was reading about this in another thread. I think it was in the bean animal thread where people were discussing this. I cannot remember the rationale as to why, but I do believe that both elbows are supposed to have holes in them.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes you can configure the plumbing in any configuration that works best for you. It does not matter which hole the emergency comes out of. Same goes for the primary and secondary.

As for the holes in top of the new pipes , we have found with our testing over the years that a hole in both will prevent an airlock. This allows for the automatic restart of the Overflow when the pump shuts down and restarts.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the preorder version that's getting to me on Tuesday include the template

Yes, they all include the template. The preorder version just does not have retail boxing as we are still waiting on our box company to complete our production run. We did not want to hold up shipment of the overflows because of the boxes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back