The SPS Q&A Thread.

Bryce Peterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree your parameters are a little skewed calcium magnesium and salinity are all a bit high compared to alkalinity. Check out the reef chemistry calculator and put your info in to see "balanced" numbers you can and should shoot for.

For example, if you want to keep alkalinity at about 8.0, then you would want calcium of 420 and magnesium of about 1325. But you probably want to correct salinity and re-test before doing anything.

At the reef chemistry calculator you may hold for anyone of the values and calculate the rest.
I had "nearly perfect" parameters before my last water change. Thanks Intant Ocean Reef Crystals! My Alk spoked to 10.2. At any rate, the millepora looked the same before and after. It is one of my best growers, just not so pretty. Thanks for the input.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there's a reason I said you might want to correct your salinity and then retest before jumping to conclusions.

Alkalinity is the one element that will be consumed even without coral growth, so after you adjust your salinity it could turn out that the rest of the parameters are normal and it is alkalinity that is really, really low.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just remove some salt water and replace it with RODI water, maybe a gallon at a time, until specific gravity comes in line.

Then re-test.

GROSSR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimal to no growth on anything. SPS, LPS, softies. Sandy crashed my biocube 29, so I setup this 46 bow in January of 2013.
I have zoas for 2 years, about 8 polyps, I got it at 8 maybe there is 9. GSP, and WSP doesn't do much, I have a rock with a few hundred polyps, and it has never expanded beyond that rock. I have yellow star polyps, about 30 in total, scattered around the tank, started with about 15 or 20. Mushrooms never expand past the 6 on a rock.

A. Total water volume ( Please include sump, etc.) 46 bow with a C2C, and about 10 gallons in sump

B. What are your parameters? ( CA, ALK, PO4,Salinity, etc.) 420, 3.2 alk, Phosphate about .02 Salinity 1.026, output of GFO reactor 0.00

C. Type of lighting. Please include age, watts, and bulb/ballast name. Reefbreeders LED 16" Age about 3 years old. At one point, I thought it might have been the LEDs, so I switched to an Apollo sunblaster 5000 14k for a few months and no difference, then put both on for another couple of months and no growth. The Reefbreeders goes to 100% for a couple of hours in the evening. I run 100% because the coral are at the bottom of the tank because of very little live rock. I do have have hair algae, and I am working to get rid of that. I do need to wipe the glass every other day of algae growth on the front glass. No Coraline algae of any kind, at one point i did have a small amount of coralline and that went away after a couple of weeks.

D. Filtration method (Skimmer, GFO, DSB, etc.) Algae Turf Scrubber dumping into sump into a 200 micron sock, Skimmer - Reef Octopus SRO1000, GFO yes, about 300 grams - gently tumbling, Barebottom. almost all rock have been removed because of Old Tank syndrome issues. Lanthanum Chloride applied a couple of times over the last 3 months. Removed Chaeto, about 3 months ago. 20 grams of biopellets running in mini tumbler. Occasionally 2ml of DIY coral snow. Filter floss in the sump changed every couple of days.

E. What types of corals do you keep other than SPS? Softies, I have a leather about 2 years old and is only about 1/4 inch. Gonipora, 2 frag about the size of a golf ball, 2 years old, Green Stylo, about 5 weeks old, not growing, but good polyp extention, Hammers, receding and just recently noticed a bit of growth over the last few months. GSP, WSP, YSP, various Zoo's, and a Gorg that hasn't change a bit in 7 months. a couple of SPS frags that not doing that well over the last few weeks.

F. How long has the tank been running? 2 years.

G. What are you dosing? Dosing schedule? Randy's 2 part. about 35ml of each using BRS dosers, 1.1ml over 1 30 minute time frame. 2.5 cups of MG every gallon of diy kalk and alk. Dosing started about 5 months ago. Before that was a Kalk reactor.

H. Which brand of salt are you using? I just switched to regulatr Instant ocean from Oceanic.

I. What brand of test kits are you employing? Reef Foundation for Calk,alk, and MG, and a phosphate meter, recently calibrated and purchased and Milwaukee salinity meter recently purchased and calibrated, Pinpoint PH meter.

J. What are you using for CA/ALK supplementation? Randy's 2 part.

K. What are you using for flow? (Pump names, how many, placement, etc.) MP 10 on one side and a rw8 on the other side, both in a random flow mode at the highest settings. Filter sock in the sump, eheim 1262 as a return pump.

My Bio cube was doing great, and decided to move up from 29 to 46 with a sump.
I've been in Saltwater since 1985 and reefing for about 20 years and just can't figure this one out.
I am just tired of seeing stagnation.

thanks

rich

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow SPS gurus, I'm currently dosing NoPox and No3 has been quite steady at 5 - 10 ppm.

I heard a lot of good things about Carbon i.e. Purigen or Chemipure to take the yellow out of the water.

Do you know if I can add Purigen or other sort of Carbon whilst NoPox-ing?

Ca 450
Alk 8.4
Mg 1350
Salinity 1.026
Temp 79

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would email Red Sea about it. They're very good at replying quickly. I think carbon shouldn't be an issue. I'm not using the product nor have I but I've read that other people use gac.

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no guru but there is no reason not to use Purigen or Chemipure just because you're dosing Nopox.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow SPS gurus, I'm currently dosing NoPox and No3 has been quite steady at 5 - 10 ppm.

I heard a lot of good things about Carbon i.e. Purigen or Chemipure to take the yellow out of the water.

Do you know if I can add Purigen or other sort of Carbon whilst NoPox-ing?

Ca 450
Alk 8.4
Mg 1350
Salinity 1.026
Temp 79

Apologies for the delay. :D

Personally I see no issue running carbon in conjunction with NO3 additives. Yes, it may sound counterintuitive but the benefits of running carbon far outweigh the amount of dissolved organics that it may be taking. While I do not does NO3 I am currently running Purigen and carbon in my reef with no ill effects.

I don't have any experience with NOPOX but it sounds like a a vodka/sugar dosing method of carbon. I dosed vodka for years with charcoal carbon in the same systems.

ed wicks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread here in this forum simply to answer any questions you may have on maintaining a successful SPS tank. I may not have all of the answers but I am willing to help and anyone else who would like to help out is more then welcome to.

So, what are the pressing concerns you guys and gals are having?
Are you lacking color?
Are you having algae issue?
Is your SPS growth not to your liking?

Remember, there are no dumb questions so do not be shy to ask. :eek:oh:

Pleas fill out this form when asking a question. It will help us find a solution much quicker and with greater accuracy.

A. Total water volume ( Please include sump, etc.)

B. What are your parameters? ( CA, ALK, PO4,Salinity, etc.)

C. Type of lighting. Please include age, watts, and bulb/ballast name.

D. Filtration method (Skimmer, GFO, DSB, etc.)

E. What types of corals do you keep other than SPS?

F. How long has the tank been running?

G. What are you dosing? Dosing schedule?

H. Which brand of salt are you using?

I. What brand of test kits are you employing?

J. What are you using for CA/ALK supplementation?

K. What are you using for flow? (Pump names, how many, placement, etc.)
I've been running a 125 after my 375 cracked,calcium reactor,bio pellets,having good sps growth and hammer corals added three heads.i measure nothing,yes that's bad idea but I look at my corals as a gauge.kiss

bwgibson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help with Jedi mind trick. I was sold a Jedi mind trick but the polpys are brow? The rest of the color looks great. Will the coral regain its red polpys? Thanks

D_Reep1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a very newb question, but Ive had SPS a couple months now and having some solid growth. I am looking to pick up some rarer SPS and looking at Monti Caps so my question is do all monticaps plate? I cant find anything on this and I guess its common knowledge one way or another.

Thanks ahead

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a very newb question, but Ive had SPS a couple months now and having some solid growth. I am looking to pick up some rarer SPS and looking at Monti Caps so my question is do all monticaps plate? I cant find anything on this and I guess its common knowledge one way or another.

Thanks ahead
Montiporas come in a variety of different species. Capricornis will plate, digitatas will branch, some of the others will branch, encrust like stellatas, spongodes.

Just look up montipora species and you'll get the shapes. Most tend to be encrusting.

bowen1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem:
I don't have a lot of growth from my SPS as well as a lack of color in the Acropora variety (browning). Even my birdsnest which I have read is a faster growing SPS piece hasn't really gone anywhere.

A. Total water volume ( Please include sump, etc.)

-10g but with water displacement probably around 8

B. What are your parameters? ( CA, ALK, PO4,Salinity, etc.)
-Ca: 420 ppm
-Alk: 8.5 dKH
-Mg: 1200 ppm
-PO4: Unknown
-NO3: about 15 ppm (high)
-Salinity: 1.026

C. Type of lighting. Please include age, watts, and bulb/ballast name.

-AI Prime
2 Hr Ramp Up 8:00am-10:00am
Daylight 10:00am-6:00pm (UV 40%, V 85%, DB 85%, B 85%, G 15%, R 15%, W 20%)
2 Hr Ramp Down 6:00pm-8:00pm
10% Blues 8:00pm-12:00am

D. Filtration method (Skimmer, GFO, DSB, etc.)

IM Desktop Skimmer, Chemi-Pure Elite, Filter Floss, 8lbs Rock, Sand

E. What types of corals do you keep other than SPS?

Acan, Ricordea, Zoanthids, Hammer, Favia

F. How long has the tank been running?
5 Months. 14 Days

G. What are you dosing? Dosing schedule?
Dosing BRS 2 Part diluted 50/50
Ca: 4ml
Alk: 3ml
Red Sea NOPOX (.5ml a day) Just started

H. Which brand of salt are you using?
Reef Crystals

I. What brand of test kits are you employing?
Red Sea (Ca, Mg, Alk)
API (Nitrate)

J. What are you using for CA/ALK supplementation?
BRS 2 Part

K. What are you using for flow? (Pump names, how many, placement, etc.)
Stock Return
Jebao WP-10
Mode: W3

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a lot of growth from my SPS as well as a lack of color

1. Mg is low. Target about 1325 ppm.
  2. Photoperiod is too long. (see below) If you need more viewing time at the end of the day, just start the photoperiod later rather than extending it.
  3. Could be too much light. Use a [HASHTAG]#lux[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#meter[/HASHTAG] and take some surface readings. There are some considerations to be made, but it seems like moderate lighting is almost always best - around 40,000 lux or less.
More than likely #1 is the main issue.

Having magnesium that low can throw off your test results for calcium and alkalinity, so be aware to test and correct all three after you dial in Mg.

Personally, I would not sweat the nitrates at that level.

I would, however, address the photoperiod.

PSHCurve.gif

http://www.solar-designs.com.au/thedetails.shtml

Lights that dim - or that use a sunrise and sunset effect - should pretty much follow that curve. Twelve hours, with a short peak in the middle.

On/off lights (no sunrise/sunset) like most metal halide and T5 systems, as well as many budget LED systems should follow the "square curve".

The chart is illustrating "peak sun hours", or how little time it takes at continuous output to equal the total energy of a "normal" full day of sun. Useful to us as well as solar panel desiners. :) (The link explains it at greater length.)

adestafi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having an issue with two new acropora I added last week. They are bleaching on one side. I had them on the sand so they could acclimate to my LEDs

Params are as follows-
Alk 9.3
Ca 480
Mag 1500
Nitrate- reads zero
Phos- reads zero
Temp 78
Salinity- 1.025

Dosing only alk
All other corals are doing well- pocillapora, gorgs, monti's, favia's

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I am having noticeable growth from some of my first SPS corals.
birds nest and cat's paw are slowly but surely growing and both look full and bushy. Favite/war corals are growing slowly. One Favia on the sand bed doesn't seem to be spreading, but is definitely holding its own.

I have a couple of places a bit higher up than my birds nest. One is about 6" from the surface, the other is about 4" from the surface close to light. My question is if I am doing OK with the birds nest and cat's paw, what might I be "ready to try" on these higher ledges?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back