OP
M

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably bump up the flow a bit. Are your N & P reading pretty low?

If so, then the main thing to watch is intensity. Duration can be long still though.

Offhand I would say the red growth could've from low flow and low nutrients but that's a bit of a guess. Could just be due to your specific system dynamics. Whatever growth you get, it still performs filtration
Actuall the opposite, Nitrates have been high on this tank for a long time. Right now they are in the 40's. I have been doing about 60-70 gallons per week water changes and got the nitrates down from 80+. Once I get them down under 10 I will lower the duration and intensity.
Bud do you recommend discontinuing bio pellets and gfo once a scrubber is used??
Not necessarily. Each system will be different. Bio pellets have their benefits as well. I personally like the bacterial benefits of pellets. I would only use GFO to get my p04 levels down to the level desired, then pull it offline. The pellets will maintain that level.

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see an updated FTS!
@Antics In the process of re-doing the tank and removing the sand bed. I was fighting high nitrates for way too long and just got tired of doing water changes. I moved most of what corals were left in the tank over to a friend's for now. Going to switch to the triton method with the update.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mixer911 , i bought your 20'' External Overflow and now I am going to most likely proceed with your CL-44 in black and Red. I want to run a Clear Water Scrubber and have it sit on top of the sump with a bracket.
If I proceed with the sump, can you make some sort of bracket to hold my Clear Water Scrubber kind if like you did for your other customer?

1.5'' drains.jpg

My Returns.jpg

ExternalOverflow#2.jpg

Dimensions - 13 3/4" L x 9" W x 9 1/4" H
cLWSCRUBBERS.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We made brackets at one point for Turbo's Scrubbers but have never made any for the clear water scrubbers. You may want to contact Clear water and see if they can provide some sort of bracket for it.

enthejungle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little late to the party and had a quick question on the stand. Did you use anchor fasteners on your corners or just the gussets?

In the process of planning a stand build and know I’m using the tslot but getting to the end product seems daunting without knowing anything about load capacities.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little late to the party and had a quick question on the stand. Did you use anchor fasteners on your corners or just the gussets?

In the process of planning a stand build and know I’m using the tslot but getting to the end product seems daunting without knowing anything about load capacities.

@enthejungle -Are you referring to me mate on my SCA 150.

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@enthejungle I used just the Gussets on the corners. You have to make sure to have your vertical corner posts under the horizontal beams. This way the load is carried to the corner posts and the gussets will lock in place. It is pretty tricky planning a build with the 80/20 because of all the accessories they produce. Just let me know if you have any other questions about it. I have built a lot of different 80/20 projects.

enthejungle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@enthejungle I used just the Gussets on the corners. You have to make sure to have your vertical corner posts under the horizontal beams. This way the load is carried to the corner posts and the gussets will lock in place. It is pretty tricky planning a build with the 80/20 because of all the accessories they produce. Just let me know if you have any other questions about it. I have built a lot of different 80/20 projects.

Greatly appreciate the response. As you stated, planning the build with all the accessories is tricky. I reached out to https://www.framingtech.com/solutions/aquarium-stands/ and after a very friendly and informative call I’ve opted to leave this up to the experts. Tweaking the design a touch and should have the order placed early this week.

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greatly appreciate the response. As you stated, planning the build with all the accessories is tricky. I reached out to https://www.framingtech.com/solutions/aquarium-stands/ and after a very friendly and informative call I’ve opted to leave this up to the experts. Tweaking the design a touch and should have the order placed early this week.

Awesome. You can't go wrong with the 80/20. They look awesome and the material will last forever.

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on this one? :D

So this tank took a turn for the worse about a year ago. We moved a lot of the coral to some local friends tanks and they are doing well. We still have 5 fish in the tank with just LR at the moment. We actually are going to be taking this down and setting up a new system in the next month. We will post a link to the new thread once we get it started.

Did you purchase the drill jigs for the 80/20?
No I just used mainly Tnuts and connectors for the corners. Also I used gussets. No need for the jig or drilling this way.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this tank took a turn for the worse about a year ago. We moved a lot of the coral to some local friends tanks and they are doing well. We still have 5 fish in the tank with just LR at the moment. We actually are going to be taking this down and setting up a new system in the next month. We will post a link to the new thread once we get it started.
Sorry to hear! What happened?

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear! What happened?

Thanks @drawman Unfortunately it is part of the hobby and happens to everyone. Good new is that I can rebuild and get a new start. So what I think happened is this. When this tank was originally setup I transferred all the livestock from my old tank https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-official-synergy-reef-build-thread.125126/ but did not transfer the majority of live rock. I wanted to not transfer in some aptasia that were on the old live rock, so I decided to go with Real Reef LR instead and give it a try as I was told by reps at Real Reef that there is no need to cure it as it was pre cured... Big mistake and I should have know better. I used about 3/4 Real Reef and 1/4 established cured rock from the existing tank. Long story short I started loosing a lot of coral over the next few months and my nitrates started to sky rocket. I battled with doing weekly 50% water changes but still couldn't get the nitrates down. So last year I purchased some Marco Rock and started curing it. I have since moved all of the Real Reef out of the tank and replaced it with the cured marco. Nitrates have subsided and i still have residual nitrates hanging around even with Cheato growing. I am just going to setup a new system and move everything. This will allow me to just do a 100% water change and move forward. Plus the new system will utilize the newer 16" Shadow overflow instead of the 20" version on this tank. Plus you know how it is being a reefer, most of the fun is setting up new systems! lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
Back