The trick to keeping multiple tangs in the same tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice video!

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently housing 2 purple tangs, for around 3-4 months now. I added the first about maybe 2 months prior to the second. the first tang was bigger. the big one gives chase to the smaller one sometimes, but they never draw swords and I Haven't seen any bullying marks or signs of distress.

Dave Krienke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope all those who think they must be the tang police watch this. :) I have kept multiple tangs in my tanks for years. This video does a good job of explaining how to make this work. They did though forget one other option. I have also had success by doing a tank re-arrange and then added the new tangs into the tank. This disrupts their claims on territory. Glad this video was shared. Thank you to BRS for clarifying this myth about tangs. I will say though, newbies should probably not try this until they have been in the hobby for a while.

Steffan1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Yellow, Kole and Sailfin. Zero problems. But it's a big tank :)

Panky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 yellow, sailfin, Naso, chevron, in a 220g tank. 2 male Naso's, a Yellow Eye Kole Tang in a 525gallon tank

Justin D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Purple yellow naso vlamingi blue hippo sohal sailfin black shoudler white ring tail orange shoulder chocolate 2 atlantic blues clown tang dussumieri maculiceps lieutenant a total of 17 tangs all get along they been together for 2 years

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple, sailfin, and hippo in a 150 each about 4-5". All 3 were added together. The purple shows dominance to the sail fin but not the hippo. The sail fin shows dominance to the hippo. No battle scars just sabre rattling.

steveaus10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow and sailfin get along little sparring occasionally but thats about it yellow was first sailfin was about 1/3 the size of yellow when added they are just about the same size now been together about a year now approx. 5 inches in length

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4" yellow tang in the same tank with a 5" regal tang. At first, the yellow tang tried to bully the regal, then things calmed down with very little aggression at all. Now, it seems the tables have turned and the yellow tang defers to the regal tang. The regal is not very aggressive but appears to be in charge. The worst I've ever seen is infrequent, minor fin nipping.

JrHotRod1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FAQ #28: Can I keep multiple tangs in the same aquarium?

Who else has had good luck keeping multiple tangs of the same species in their tank?

FAQ #28: Can I keep multiple tangs in the same aquarium?

Who else has had good luck keeping multiple tangs of the same species in their tank?

I house 5 tangs in a 120 gal tank for a year now with no aggression. The tangs in my 120 gal are: yellow, hippo, sailfin, purple, and powder blue. The yellow and sailfin were introduced together and were tank mates for over a year. The other three were introduced together as juveniles. A little chasing at first but now they all get along with no aggression.

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I house 5 tangs in a 120 gal tank for a year now with no aggression. The tangs in my 120 gal are: yellow, hippo, sailfin, purple, and powder blue. The yellow and sailfin were introduced together and were tank mates for over a year. The other three were introduced together as juveniles. A little chasing at first but now they all get along with no aggression.
I have a regal, scopas, blue lip and yellow tang. I realised too late that the scopas and yellow are similar shape/size but so far there are no problems.

lemonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little group of tangs chase each other once in a while but for the most part the biggest bully is the emporator angel as he loves to eat and not share

Achilles, Purple,Chevron, 2x Yellows

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice video!

Thanks!

I am currently housing 2 purple tangs, for around 3-4 months now. I added the first about maybe 2 months prior to the second. the first tang was bigger. the big one gives chase to the smaller one sometimes, but they never draw swords and I Haven't seen any bullying marks or signs of distress.

Great to hear! They are one of my favorite tangs :)

I hope all those who think they must be the tang police watch this. :) I have kept multiple tangs in my tanks for years. This video does a good job of explaining how to make this work. They did though forget one other option. I have also had success by doing a tank re-arrange and then added the new tangs into the tank. This disrupts their claims on territory. Glad this video was shared. Thank you to BRS for clarifying this myth about tangs. I will say though, newbies should probably not try this until they have been in the hobby for a while.

Thanks Dave! Great tip!

I have a Yellow, Kole and Sailfin. Zero problems. But it's a big tank :)

Awesome! What size?

I have 3 yellow, sailfin, Naso, chevron, in a 220g tank. 2 male Naso's, a Yellow Eye Kole Tang in a 525gallon tank

Very cool! Is the 525 a fish only?

I have Purple yellow naso vlamingi blue hippo sohal sailfin black shoudler white ring tail orange shoulder chocolate 2 atlantic blues clown tang dussumieri maculiceps lieutenant a total of 17 tangs all get along they been together for 2 years

Wow, that's quite the list. I love clown tangs!

I have a purple, sailfin, and hippo in a 150 each about 4-5". All 3 were added together. The purple shows dominance to the sail fin but not the hippo. The sail fin shows dominance to the hippo. No battle scars just sabre rattling.

Cool! It sounds like they have their hierarchy worked out.

My yellow and sailfin get along little sparring occasionally but thats about it yellow was first sailfin was about 1/3 the size of yellow when added they are just about the same size now been together about a year now approx. 5 inches in length

Very nice, what size tank?

I have a 4" yellow tang in the same tank with a 5" regal tang. At first, the yellow tang tried to bully the regal, then things calmed down with very little aggression at all. Now, it seems the tables have turned and the yellow tang defers to the regal tang. The regal is not very aggressive but appears to be in charge. The worst I've ever seen is infrequent, minor fin nipping.

Awesome :)

Cool, are they still relatively small?

I have a regal, scopas, blue lip and yellow tang. I realised too late that the scopas and yellow are similar shape/size but so far there are no problems.

That's good! They are very closely related :)

My little group of tangs chase each other once in a while but for the most part the biggest bully is the emporator angel as he loves to eat and not share

Achilles, Purple,Chevron, 2x Yellows

That's too funny :p

#1Fellowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,
I see you all being PRO at keeping multiple tangs and wanted to know how and what order should I add these below tangs as I plan to upgrade my 46G to 180G in the next few months. The question I have for you is I love the tangs and this is the list I have on my mind.
The Yellow Tang
The Blue Hippo Tang
The Spotted Yellow Eye Tang (similar to Kole Tang)
Convict Tang
Chocolate Tang and last either a powder blue tang or Salifin tang or Vlamingii Tang (either one of these three)

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated and helpful in making a decision. Also due to space I only was able to setup a 10G QT and I have two storm clowns one black and one orange storm clowns, one Roya Gramma and one Divided Leopard Wrasse all are doing great. The wrasse and gramma are still in the QT for the last 25 days and doing well with eating frozen mysis and brine. The clowns are on the DT for about close to 85 days that’s 30 days after I cycled my tank fishless using FritzZyme TurboStart with dry rock and build the stand in anticipation of the future upgrade to 180G.

9B93194E-7622-4C60-92B3-03176296A5E2.jpeg 660A69D4-ADAB-4A0B-9526-D54B8EE6C99D.jpeg 17273D8F-90AB-4419-95E6-93ADE77E5DA1.jpeg F06A56B4-7E0C-44B5-A68A-CAE9B0344E37.jpeg 6153281F-9BDB-4334-847F-44EAE3606E51.jpeg

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many of the tangs you listed (in the order in which they were added);

1 Yellow

1 Hippo
1 Spotted Yellow Eye
1 Lavender
1 Naso

1 Sailfin

I HAD a Flame Fin Tomini as well, but he was incredibly aggressive toward the Spotted Yellow Eye and had to be removed.

Other than that, all get along perfectly.

#1Fellowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many of the tangs you listed (in the order in which they were added);

1 Yellow

1 Hippo
1 Spotted Yellow Eye
1 Lavender
1 Naso

1 Sailfin

I HAD a Flame Fin Tomini as well, but he was incredibly aggressive toward the Spotted Yellow Eye and had to be removed.

Other than that, all get along perfectly.
You actually added a Yellow Tang the first and you didn’t see it being aggressive with the al
New additions?? As I have researched Yellow Tang should be the absolute last tang on the lost to be added to the tank. I am surprised that you didn’t have any issues.

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You actually added a Yellow Tang the first and you didn’t see it being aggressive with the al
New additions?? As I have researched Yellow Tang should be the absolute last tang on the lost to be added to the tank. I am surprised that you didn’t have any issues.

Correct.
I had a 56G tank before with a Niger Trigger and the the Yellow Tang.
The only tankmate the yellow tang gives any aggression to is the Niger Trigger and only when the Trigger tries to bed down in the YT’s bed.

I do feed HEAVILY, so maybe that prevents aggression...?

Last edited:

Cyricdark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I've never really had a problem with tang aggression, I even adopt overly aggressive tangs from other reefers when they become a problem. All I've ever had to do was Leave lights out for a day or two after adding them. worst case scenario with a particulary aggressive large yellow(Pet store gave it to me it was so aggressive lol) that didn't like my scopas
I had to blackout then rearrange my rockscape a little to eliminate perceived territories.

reefpatrique

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering adding a flame fin and small purple tang to a 75g. Based on the video it seems like this could work because of shape and size differential (flame fin being the bigger). Anyone have experience on this combo? Would be added at the same time.

Back