The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Breakin Newz, Mar 27, 2013.

1. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Expert Contributor Showcase Editor

A day or two will suffice, unless you see your current wrasse still riled up towards them.

Any of the flasher species will work in that size tank.

mfinn likes this.
  2. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Partner Member

Anybody falling in love with Wrasse? I can't wait to get some new ones for the new tank!

Nick James, cale0721, Jstn and 5 others like this.
  3. saltyhog

saltyhog Well-Known Member

Become a wrasse horder! Good for your psyche, bad for your bank account. And I only have 4 in QT at the moment.:D

4. Paul87

Paul87 Fellow Reefer

What's not to love???

saltyhog likes this.
  5. Jstn

Jstn Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Can't seem to get a pic of the lineatus, he's camera shy

Paul87 likes this.
  6. el aguila

el aguila Active Member

Well, I finally made it through this whole thread. I would like to encourage anyone who is thinking about keeping multiple wrasses to read this thread.

I've been in the hobby for several years and feel that I have a reasonably good grasp on saltwater fish, but I learned quite abit from reading this, Evolved's stickies on wrasses, and a few other sites.

Thanks guys for all of the excellent info, plus being extremely patient with people asking the same questions over and over again every few pages of this thread!

I have plenty of questions yet, but will ask them over a period of time.

evolved, leahfiish, Mike_J and 2 others like this.
  7. el aguila

el aguila Active Member

As previously mentioned, I have a 190 with 400G total water volume. I would like to have 10-14 mostly fairy wrasses in the tank adding 2-4 new wrasses at a time.

Using Hunter's wrasse aggression chart from cirrhilabrus-complexes-inferiority-need-not-apply, I am planning on adding juveniles from the different complexes starting with fish from the green complexes, then moving up to the yellow complexes, and then finish out with a few select from the lighter orange color.

My question is:
    I am assuming that changing from juvi to terminal male coloration is partially a function of aggression within the tank. If I start with the least aggressive fairies (green complexes) and move up waiting 4-6 months before adding new wrasses that are more aggressive, will it facilitate juvis changing sooner than for instance placing an exquisite in with a Naoke, Randalli, and Laboutei?

8. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Expert Contributor Showcase Editor

Starting with the more peaceful species is definitely the best course of action and will facilitate the transition. However, it can be a challenge to acquire juveniles and females for many of the fairy species.

9. mfinn

mfinn likes zoanthids R2R Supporter Partner Member

This weekend I'm going to add the 2 Macropharyngodon bipartitus wrasses to my 233 in with 2 Macropharyngodon meleagris. At least start them out in a social acclimation box.
    They are all females.
    My next attempt would be with getting a Potters Wrasse, Macropharyngodon geoffroyi wrasse.
    Then down the road maybe a Kuiter's Leopard Wrasse Macropharyngodon kuiteri.

Is this going to work or am I doomed to failure?

10. saltyhog

Interested to see what Hunter and TJ say. I've got a well established Potter's and would like to add another Macropharyngodon wrasse.

eatbreakfast and mfinn like this.
  11. eatbreakfast

Seems like a reasonable plan to me.

mfinn likes this.
  12. saltyhog

So you think I could add another Macropharyngodon to my established Potters wrasse?

The H. melasmopomus is in QT. Dives in to the sand box and comes out for a short time every few hours. Hard to feed him when it's hard to catch him out. It's only been about 30 hours since he arrived though. I'm sure he'll adapt soon.

13. mfinn

I'm curious about the Kuiter's Leopard Wrasse .
    I don't see much about it, or see people talking about them.
    I love the coloration. It's male and female colors are so much different than the other Macropharyngodon wrasses.

saltyhog likes this.
  14. eatbreakfast

It should be ok, potters usually aren't too aggressive.

They aren't as commonly kept. They can be on the aggressive side for leopards, so being added last helps.

Paul87 and mfinn like this.
  15. mfinn

It just occured to me, but should I put something that could be used as cover in the box?
    How about a dish of sand?

16. eatbreakfast

Yes, you want them not to be too stressed out, so a little cover is good. A container of sand or some pvc fittings work well.

mfinn likes this.
  17. saltyhog

My new H. melasmopomas has been in QT for a little over 2 days now and is now out and about and feeding well.

Nick James, Mike_J, Maritimer and 4 others like this.
  18. el aguila

el aguila Active Member

I've noticed several hobbiest on this thread that have both lineatus and rubrimarginatus wrasses in their tanks.

I really like both of these wrasses and would love to have them in my tank, but I'm a little cautious considering that they are from the same complex on Evolved's chart.

Just wondering if those of you who keep both could give me a little feedback:
    1. How long have you had both in your tank, how big we're they when added, and what kind of tank mates do they have?
    2. Do you have any advice on keeping both together in the same tank?

If I put both in my tank, hoping to add them at the same time as juvis with 7-8 wrasses already in the tank. Plus have a few wrasses from the lighter orange groups of wrasses to assure that neither of these develop into the alpha wrasse in the tank.

Taking this one step further, the laboutei complex is connected to the pylei complex with a strong connection. Is adding a laboutes to the mix of the two above something to be concerned of because that they are closely related?

19. eatbreakfast

In a large enough tank with plenty of other wrasses to serve as a distraction, and if added at the same time, and maturity, both the lineatus and rubrimarginatus can be kept together.

I have found that pylei is more aggressive than labouti, and will be dominant. But both can be kept together, though I would recommend it in a tank of 150g or greater.

20. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

I agree; that plan should work well, but finding them all at a small size will certainly be a tall order.
    I tend to think you'll be just fine there also.
    Yes; so long as whatever species you're adding is a female specimen, I wouldn't much worry.
    Given the size of your tank and the fact you'll have a quite a few wrasses, I wouldn't worry about the compatibility of lineatus and rubrimarginatus. They are more of an issue together in smaller setups, especially if they are the only two wrasses present.

As for the pylei/laboutei mix, I would avoid pylei altogether if I was you.

mfinn likes this.