The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Being the most aggressive species (kuiteri) in the genus, you'd have the best chance.
Give it a bit of time though, and I bet you find your problematic meleagris lets up on the bipartitus.

And the meleagris probably won't even give a second look.

Thanks. I appreciate all the help and advice you and @eatbreakfast and some others have been providing in this thread.

UffnerReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, prior to the mention later here that you QT'd with prazi, I would have been solely suspecting internal parasites. But continuing to read makes me suspect a possible spinal issue instead. It may even be a combination of both.

If you can, I would do such and treat with metro and prazi - it can't hurt at this point.

Good morning everyone. I woke up to sadness this morning- my orange back passed away. Looking for any feedback if I did something wrong to cause this.

On Wednesday I set up my 10 gal QT again:
- HOB filter with (unseeded) small sponge
- heater
- thermometer
- power head
- small container of sand and small rock from my DT- I was afraid of lack of biological filtration and was going to take these items out if I treated with anything
- two PVC pipes
- added Seachem Stability
- used fresh salt water to match SG and temp of DT

Thursday: he looked bright and alert (when he came out for feeding- otherwise always hiding) in the DT but something was still not right with him (per my last threads). I also did notice a small white spot- didn't look like ich, but I don't know why I say that. For some reason I didn't just think "ich" immediately. He came up for feeding immediately like normal. I caught him during feeding (no problems and best low stress catch I've ever had). I acclimated him to the QT and put him in. Added more Stability.

He looked terrible from the second he went in the QT. Was blown in the current, breathing hard, tail clamped. I knew he was most likely not going to make it. I covered the QT with a towel to try to minimize the stress. This morning he was dead.

I am really sad about this as I would never want to cause harm to any animal, but if you could give me your feedback so I don't make the same mistake twice, that would really be appreciated.

Side note, I have no clue how I am going to catch the adornatus :-/ Also, do you always treat every new fish with prazi and metro? Can you use them together at the same time, or use as separate treatments?

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for wrasse to eat nori? My Halichoeres cosmetus wrasse was watching my coral beauty picking at the nori sheet and must have thought....I'm having some of that, he hovered around the clip for a bit watching my CB fill he boots and then started taking chunks and eating the nori, now my Halichoeres chyrsus spotted my cosmetus wrasse eating the nori and he too is starting to investigate..... my tank is well fed with 2 sometimes 3 feedings a day

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my Halichoeres wrasses eat nori except for my H.chrysus. In fact all of my wrasses will eat it. The only fish I have that won't eat it is my Copperband Butterfly.

Perfectly normal IMO.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
How are Macropharyngodon ornatus wrasses considered as far as being integrated into a group of other macropharyngodon wrasses?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are Macropharyngodon ornatus wrasses considered as far as being integrated into a group of other macropharyngodon wrasses?
I find that they are better suited to being added to a group later. They can be aggressive toward new leopards.

cnseekatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only ever gotten my hands on one, and added her to a tank with a bipartitus (f) and a geoffroy (f), and she was bullied pretty hard by the (slightly larger) Potter's.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, do you always treat every new fish with prazi and metro? Can you use them together at the same time, or use as separate treatments?
Yes, you can use them at the same time; API's General Cure is a prazi/metro mix.
Using such is always a part of my QT process, and many other aquarists do the same.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yes, you can use them at the same time; API's General Cure is a prazi/metro mix.
Using such is always a part of my QT process, and many other aquarists do the same.
Is the prazi in API's General Cure as effective as just using straight PraziPro?
Do you get the same amount of meds. Following directions of course.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the prazi in API's General Cure as effective as just using straight PraziPro?
Do you get the same amount of meds. Following directions of course.
Following directions, General cure is just a touch weaker.
2 mg/L with General Cure
2.5 mg/L with PraziPro

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this picture make my wrasse look fat?
DSC_1555.jpg

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4' 120G with a Lubbocks & Angular Flasher. Any other reasonably priced reef friend wrasses wrasse recommendations?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4' 120G with a Lubbocks & Angular Flasher. Any other reasonably priced reef friend wrasses wrasse recommendations?

Just about any of the flashers (except maybe a male eight-line for friendly, or a Bell's for "reasonably priced"...), and there are lots of other fairies to choose from as well. Pintail, orange-backed and exquisite are a few that come to mind. (You'll probably have to buy the pintail as a youngster/female, and wait for it to transition...) Some of the wrasses in the Halichoeres genus could work well, but may take an unhealthy interest in some of your CUC. Possum wrasses (Wetmorella) are timid and cryptic, but not unreasonably priced by and large, and almost completely harmless. Leopard wrasses are often reasonable as well, and pretty safe for the most part - but can be difficult to acclimate.

You've got _lots_ of choices! Explore!!!

~Bruce

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back