The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the pintails, but finding them around Indiana is hard under $100. I know NYA sometimes has them for cheap, but I don't trust them. I think i'll add another flasher being a Carpenters or Yellowtail.

Griff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on housing melanurus wrasse and labout's fairy wrasse together.

Currently have

Yellow tang
Regal tang
2 clowns
Orange spot blennie
4 carberryi anthias

Would still like to add

Regal angel Red Sea and at the same time if I can find all 3 at once.

Red Sea reefer 525xl

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was planning on adding a screen top to my tank because of adding more wrasses.
I knew I had to do it, but because of not having problems with leopard wrasses in the past I was putting it off.
I didn't want to inconvenience myself by having to move a screen top just to feed or move a coral or even put the magnet cleaner in the tank.
I waited too long.
A couple days ago I found my larger meleagris wrasse behind the tank.
I guess the larger bipartitus had a issue with it and they settled it when I wasn't around.
I really didn't see this coming. The first few days everything was really mellow.
But a couple days ago I noticed the bigger meleagris wrasse was missing.
So now there are 3.
2 bipartitus and 1 meleagris.
Not sure if they would have ironed out the pecking order if a screen top had prevented the wrasse from jumping.
Now the 3 that are remaining seem to be getting along fine. They are always very close to each other with no real aggression.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New accusations in Qt
Red Head Solon
Eight line Fairy wrasse female juvi
Mystery wrasse
Eight line flasher, you mean. ;)
And I'd caution against the mystery.

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170112_214451.jpeg
20170112_214453.jpeg
20170112_215616.jpeg
20170112_215714.jpeg
20170112_220432.jpeg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did say it was an accusation...:p
My Melanurus, Basket, Pintail, Guineafowl Leopard, Exquisite, and Rosy Margined Wrasses.
That's not an exquisite wrasse, but rather it is C. melanomarginatus, blackfin fairy wrasse.

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flasher, yes my bad:rolleyes:
I gather that you mean the aggressiveness of the Mystery wrasse, so not like Tangs adding last and with other wrasse at the same time does't help?
LOL you know I mean acquisition, if you don't proof read Siri she will do her own thing

scffvariable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for stocking advise.

Standard 180g. Already have a line spot and would like to now some ideas for other wrasses that will work well. I for sure want a couple leopards. After that pretty open.

Other fish in the tank will include a couple tangs, tailspot blenny, probably a couple anthias.

Thanks

Oh, and would love a mystery wrasse, not sure if possible though.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gather that you mean the aggressiveness of the Mystery wrasse, so not like Tangs adding last and with other wrasse at the same time does't help?
Correct, and no - those kinds of rules don't apply here unfortunately.
Things could be fine for a long while, and one day you could come home to a belligerent and completely intolerant mystery.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many different ways you could go in a tank that size. I would nix the mystery wrasse if you want other wrasse though.

Read @evolved thread on wrasses. You could have several of any/all the genus he lists. See which ones appeal to your eye and fit together.

Some of my favorites:

Cirrhilabrus .....lineatus, jordani, punctatus, rhomboidalis, isocoles,laboutei, earlei, johnsoni

Paracheilinus.....flavianalis, lineopunctatus, attenuatus, rubricaudalis and bellae if you have the bucks/luck

Halichoeres.....melasmapomus, chrysotaenia, biocellatus, chrysus, claudia, iridis

Macropharyngodon.....geoffroyi, negrosensis, kuiteri

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for stocking advise.

Standard 180g. Already have a line spot and would like to now some ideas for other wrasses that will work well. I for sure want a couple leopards. After that pretty open.

Other fish in the tank will include a couple tangs, tailspot blenny, probably a couple anthias.

Thanks

Oh, and would love a mystery wrasse, not sure if possible though.
Read @evolved thread on wrasses. You could have several of any/all the genus he lists. See which ones appeal to your eye and fit together.
This one: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/
That should be helpful ;)
So many different ways you could go in a tank that size. I would nix the mystery wrasse if you want other wrasse though.
Agree...

I really don't like to give just a long list of suggestions, because for starters it's a really long list :p but more so because it's a matter of what appeals to you.

Back