The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's play a game! I spent some time with your chart and doing some research... I came up with a wish list. I'd love your opinion when you get a chance. Basically I am undecided on the halichoeres wrasses... and I already have the ornate Leopard so she will be the first Wrasse to get established. Any advice on order of addition, or problems that I may not have foreseen.

Melanarus wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) or
Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres Chrysus) or
Radiant Wrasse (Halichoeres iridis)
McCosker Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
Rosy Fin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus Nahackyi)
Girdled Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus balteatus)
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus)
Brunneus Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus brunneus)
Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus)
Lubbock's Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki)
Yellowchest Twist Wrasse (Anampses twistii)
Ornate Leopard Wrasse (macropharyngodon ornatus)
Those are all compatible in a large enough tank.

Get the H. melanurus last, the rest of the order doesn't matter too much.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fairy wrasse would be ok in a 72x24x21 wrasse tank. I already have jordani, laboutei and a rhomboidalis and exquisitus going in QT tomorrow. I also have one flasher, a M. geoffroyi and a H. melasmopomas. Plain to add a couple more flashers (attenuatus for sure and either octotaenia or lineopunctatus. Might add one more leopard wrasse as well.

Only other inhabitants are a Copperband Butterfly and a small tang.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's play a game! I spent some time with your chart found here and doing some research... I came up with a wish list. I'd love your opinion when you get a chance. Basically I am undecided on the halichoeres wrasses... and I already have the ornate Leopard so she will be the first Wrasse to get established. Any advice on order of addition, or problems that I may not have foreseen.

Melanarus wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) or
Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres Chrysus) or
Radiant Wrasse (Halichoeres iridis)
McCosker Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
Rosy Fin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus Nahackyi)
Girdled Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus balteatus)
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus)
Brunneus Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus brunneus)
Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus)
Lubbock's Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki)
Yellowchest Twist Wrasse (Anampses twistii)
Ornate Leopard Wrasse (macropharyngodon ornatus)
Agree; those are all compatible just fine. You could do any combination of the Halichoeres as well; no need to only do one from a compatibility perspective.
How large is the tank? I'm assuming at least 100 gallons?
Has anyone ever heard of a wrasse (mine is a Pink tale fairy) going missing for over a month, only to resurface one day? Mine resurfaced today after being missing for over a month looking pale, skinny and kind of like a ghost. Unfortunately I was not able to get a pic of him as he was only out for a few minutes before retreating back into hiding (pic below was taken 9 weeks ago). Prior to going missing he was eating will, getting fat and always out cruising the tank looking for a meal. I was doing hypo at the time it went missing and have recently started to slowly raise the salinity which is now back up to 1.018. This is the last video I have showing the wrasse very active swimming about while feeding nori.

Wrasse.jpg

That very much sounds like you have a bully forcing it into hiding; I'd place a healthy wager on it.
How many fairy wrasse would be ok in a 72x24x21 wrasse tank. I already have jordani, laboutei and a rhomboidalis and exquisitus going in QT tomorrow. I also have one flasher, a M. geoffroyi and a H. melasmopomas. Plain to add a couple more flashers (attenuatus for sure and either octotaenia or lineopunctatus. Might add one more leopard wrasse as well.

Only other inhabitants are a Copperband Butterfly and a small tang.
That still leaves plenty of capacity.
In a system of that size, provided you choose wisely, 15ish wouldn't much concern me.

Nick James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 220 gallons. I am glad to hear about the halichoeres, I was worried about their compatibility.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Something a little different happened today with my Potters wrasse that I have in quarantine.
He got up at the usual 9:30 and a I fed him a small amount of frozen brine.
I had some errands to run that took me about 4 hrs.
Normally I give the wrasse a couple small feedings over the course of the morning and early afternoon, but was gone.
When I got home I grabbed some food to give him and went in and saw that he had buried himself.
I thought that seemed like a early bedtime.
So I was moving some stuff in the room where the quarantine tank is and I saw him pop back out of the sand.
So he got fed.
But I'm thinking because there was no activity around the tank or food coming, he got bored and decided to take a short nap?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Something a little different happened today with my Potters wrasse that I have in quarantine.
He got up at the usual 9:30 and a I fed him a small amount of frozen brine.
I had some errands to run that took me about 4 hrs.
Normally I give the wrasse a couple small feedings over the course of the morning and early afternoon, but was gone.
When I got home I grabbed some food to give him and went in and saw that he had buried himself.
I thought that seemed like a early bedtime.
So I was moving some stuff in the room where the quarantine tank is and I saw him pop back out of the sand.
So he got fed.
But I'm thinking because there was no activity around the tank or food coming, he got bored and decided to take a short nap?

Or maybe he is sick.

After he ate, he just settled down on the bottom of the tank and was just laying there. Upright, but not moving much.
When I approach the tank he gets up and swims a little.

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made an earlier post here, detailing my wrasse population, and a less than perfect shot of one had someone inform me that one was incorrectly identified. So here she is again...photo quality improved. Let's hear what folks have to say. Who is this?
20170205_211601.jpeg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made an earlier post here, detailing my wrasse population, and a less than perfect shot of one had someone inform me that one was incorrectly identified. So here she is again...photo quality improved. Let's hear what folks have to say. Who is this?
20170205_211601.jpeg
This is a male C. melanomarginatus.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank, how many wrasses you have in there, do they fight?

I got a bunch lol, the large ruby and lineatus leave everyone alone, the kathrine keeps the rest of them in line, and my small pintail chases my submale flame but nothing concerning

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a male C. melanomarginatus.
Interesting...this one was sold to me a couple years ago as the female half of a pair of C. exquisitus. The coloration has become bolder over the past several months (the male died months after acquisition). I like being able to pick other people's brains on this forum.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 35 61.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back